Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite .357 load?

Favorite .357 load?

I am looking for a good all around .357 load, mainly for my Dad. I bought him a 6" Ruger Security Six a while back, and my plan is to supply him with handloads. He isn't much of a "pistoleer" just need a solid load, probably 158gr that can be used for deer and possibly home defense. BTW, I have LOTS of Red Dot, Unique and 2400 on hand. Thoughts?
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far"
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    2400 will work fine but I've always gotten better accuracy with 296 and better muzzle velocity. My favorite load is 296 with a Hornady 158g XTP. I've killed a LOT of deer with that load over the last thirty some years.

Any of the 150-158 gr RCBS moulds will be good and they are easy to cast with. Be sure to match bullet alloy to chamber pressure...higher pressure requires harder alloy (read Lee manual). All three powders will work, but Unique is probably the overall favorite with cast bullets. Size larger than cylinder throat...usually .358 sizer will work best. LBT Soft Blue lube is verygood if you have a lube sizer. Or tumble bullets in alox. RCBS Cowboy dies work good with cast bullets (.001 larger diameter expander)

Velocities over 1000fps can be uncomfortable to shoot if you shoot alot.
    Last edited by detox; 12-18-2013 at 12:53 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    My utility load is a 160 grain SWC backed by 9.5 grains of BlueDot for around 1200 FPS. If you want more velocity, use H-110, WW296, or Lil'Gun.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master
    I'm partial to a 358477 SWC on top of 12 grains of 2400.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohica793 View Post
    I'm partial to a 358477 SWC on top of 12 grains of 2400.
    This right here! My wife shoots them out of her Rossi Lever Carbine too. Hits hard. She shoots feral hogs with them.

Boolit Mold
    My favorite 357 load is 5 grains of red dot with a 150-160 grain cast bullet, which I discovered by reading it was among other people's favorites. A light 357. I'd consider it a good range and home defense load, but not for deer.

Boolit Buddy

I use Lyman 358429 SWC (mine weighs 175 sized and lubed) over 7.0 grains of Herco in Starline brass lite by Remington SP primer. This load goes just over 1100fps in my 4" S&W Mod 66 and I have taken many deer with this combo. A good load that doesn't beat up the shooter or the firearm and it's accurate too. Much more accurate than Unique or 2400 in all of my 357's.

2shot

Boolit Buddy

I use Lyman 358429 SWC (mine weighs 175 sized and lubed) over 7.0 grains of Herco in Starline brass lite by Remington SP primer. This load goes just over 1100fps in my 4" S&W Mod 66 and I have taken many deer with this combo. A good load that doesn't beat up the shooter or the firearm and it's accurate too. Much more accurate than Unique or 2400 in all of my 357's.

2shot

Boolit Mold
    I use 2 loads for my 6" GP100, both using the LEE 158gr LSWC GC bullet. 1. WW296 @ 16.5 for avg. 1455fps. 2. Unique @ 7.7gr for avg. 1216 fps. The bullet is cast of WWs with a little extra tin. I have used both Hornady and aluminum GCs and could not tell the difference.

Boolit Grand Master

359640 overtop H110/W296 for full bore thumpers. 359125 overtop of HP38/W231 for accurate light loads. I ramp them up sometimes and they shoot just as well at higher velocities.
    Last edited by dragon813gt; 12-18-2013 at 09:06 PM.

Boolit Master
    Saz -

Howdy !

Gotta be 14.5gr WW296 ( H110 same stuff ) and SP Mag primer, under any Lyman SWC of 158 - 172gr.

Been my go-to load for eons now, for 4, 5, & 6" .357Mag S & W "N"-frames. Also performed superb in my Marlin 1894SC.

For a smaller charge ( but still Magnum ) load, 7.0gr IMR4756 under the same boolits as mentioned above.

And yes...other mold maker' 158SWCs also shoot just fine w/ the powders/charges mentioned above.

With regards,
    357Mag

Boolit Master

May I suggest you develope 2 different loads with 2 different bullets that can be easily told apart?

One "plinking" load with a light weight Lee 105 SWC and Red Dot. Use this one for fun and to work on shooting skills.

And another "business" load with a nice 160 - 180 gr WFP on top of some 2400. This one is fun too, just not as economical of lead & powder.

Boolit Grand Master

May I suggest you develope 2 different loads with 2 different bullets that can be easily told apart?

Excellent advise.

While I have the 105 gr bullet in 357 mag cases I shoot a lot more of the Lyman 358477s and Lee TL358-158-SWCs for 38 SPL level to midrange 357 mag level loads. I suggest 4 - 4.5 gr with either bullet for an accurate 38 SPL level load. For the midrange 357 mag load I use 6.8 gr Unique with either bullet.

If 357 magnum level loads are wanted the 358156 is always my hands down favorite. The Lee C358-158-SWC will do nicely as well. Both are GC'd and may be cast softer for better terminal ballistics, especially when HP'd using the 1/8" Forster HP tool. However, cast softer and pushed to true magnum level velocities which the 6" Ruger Security Six is capable of will get excellent terminal performance also. While I also favor H110/296 for magnum level loads 2400 will certainly do also. Work up to 14.5 gr 2400 with either bullet....work up to it as that is a max load........

BTW I also use a 6" Ruger Security Six as my chosen 357 Magnum revolver, excellent choice.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    I use the Lee 358-158-RF over 5.0 gr HP-38. Works all around rifle or revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post

Excellent advise.

While I have the 105 gr bullet in 357 mag cases I shoot a lot more of the Lyman 358477s and Lee TL358-158-SWCs for 38 SPL level to midrange 357 mag level loads. I suggest 4 - 4.5 gr with either bullet for an accurate 38 SPL level load. For the midrange 357 mag load I use 6.8 gr Unique with either bullet.

If 357 magnum level loads are wanted the 358156 is always my hands down favorite. The Lee C358-158-SWC will do nicely as well. Both are GC'd and may be cast softer for better terminal ballistics, especially when HP'd using the 1/8" Forster HP tool. However, cast softer and pushed to true magnum level velocities which the 6" Ruger Security Six is capable of will get excellent terminal performance also. While I also favor H110/296 for magnum level loads 2400 will certainly do also. Work up to 14.5 gr 2400 with either bullet....work up to it as that is a max load........

BTW I also use a 6" Ruger Security Six as my chosen 357 Magnum revolver, excellent choice.

Larry Gibson
    I was also thinking about 2 loads, I just have a short window as we are going to visit them on the 27th (they live in in Minnesota and we are in Colorado now), to get this up and running for now. The fact that I do not have the pistol in my possession IOT work up loads for it presents a bit of a hurdle also. I am bringing my hand press and other tools to work up a load for it. I don't own any .358 molds for now so I picked up a box of Berry's plated 158s for now. That will at least get him some trigger time with it and let me know if he wants 2 loads for it or not. I have been eyeballing the Lee C358-158-SWC for starters- I love my Lee molds.

The pistol I found him was probably a security guard or some type of law enforcement officer's duty pistol, there was a little bit of pitting on the right side of the frame above the trigger guard but was re-finished with duracoat in a matte black. Not the prettiest thing out there, but mechanically in perfect condition which more than sold me on the $250 price tag. I am eyeballing a stainless 6" for myself on GB which will solve the issue of working loads for it. I had a very hard time sending Dad the one I found for him in the first place- Now I need one too!

Thanks for the help everyone!
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far"
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master
    I own several .357 magnums, and one is a Ruger Security Six that is identical to the picture Larry posted. I got it used and cheap, and I use it for testing loads that are punishing for the gun. After many thousands of such rounds, it is as tight and accurate as the day I got it. Too bad they are not produced anymore.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marlin39a View Post
    I use the Lee 358-158-RF over 5.0 gr HP-38. Works all around rifle or revolver.
    I like useing the Lee 358-158rf over 4.0gr ww231 which is the same as hp38. I with have to try 5.0gr once.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Master
    I am rather partial to 4.6 gr. of Bullseye. Velocity out of the 4" barrel is about 940 fps. It is accurate, fun to shoot all day, and doesn't seem to bother the arthritic joint in the thumb of my shooting hand (most important of all).