Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me fix wrinkles - NOE 9mm 135g

Boolit Grand Master
    Every mould is different. Find what that mould wants.

Mould material, cavity size, and number of cavities all change the nature of a mould and what it wants. Experience helps but the best thing to do is mess around and see what works for that mould.

Boolit Grand Master

And anther thing for the OP. You didn't mention how many cavities your new NOE mold has but you did say it is 135 gr boolit. When filling the cavities don't look at it as pouring lead, look at it as pouring heat and with small boolits your not pouring much heat, keep in mind that aluminum cools very quickly and your pouring little heat to begin with.

Don't fall for the inexperienced saying the solution is to crank up the pot heat. 700 degrees is at least 250 degrees OVER a good mold casting temp and at least 150 degrees over full liquidus of the alloy. 250 degrees is much hotter than needed to keep your mold somewhere around 450 degrees. If you can't cast without at least 350 degrees or more over proper mold temp your doing something wrong. The hotter the melt in your pot the faster oxidation occurs with Sn oxidizing first and fastest. Past 750 degrees the Sn cannot do what it is in there to do, reduce surface oxidation of the alloy.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    My 6 cav Lee 415 gr 45 cal mould needs to go far slower than my new 125 RN from Hm2.
    Both made from Al but Ike Rick said, one is getting lots more heat dumped with each pour than the other.

Boolit Bub
    I will try pressure casting tonight, faster, with 750* alloy. And I'll clean again.

Better yet, I've pretty much decided to start shooting wrinkles while I am getting them. IDPA isn't very demanding on accuracy, at least not indoors. I'm guessing they will shoot as well as I can if the bands are crisp. I have a new to me M&P9 that is calling my name! And I can't stand the idea of buying ammo or boolits after 'investing' in a mold, star size die, dillon dies, etc...

Andy

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    When filling the cavities don't look at it as pouring lead, look at it as pouring heat and with small boolits your not pouring much heat, keep in mind that aluminum cools very quickly and your pouring little heat to begin with.

Rick
    thats a good way to explain it. something just clicked for me when i read that, thanks>

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I have a 7mm NOE and I actually can't cast fast enough w/it to keep the mould hot. I pour 10 or so pours then back onto the hot plate. Its a 5C the 1st pour or 2 I get 5 then 4 for 3 pours then 3 for 4-5 pours then it goes back to the plate.

On the other hand the 9mm/38/357 and 40 cal 6Cs get hot enough setting on the pot sprue plate down to pour out 10# before the 3rd 5 pounder of cut sprues gets hot enough to cast w/only 2-5% reject rate.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .