RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mihec HG #503 Cramer hollow point

Boolit Master
    Excellent workmanship! One of the best molds yet. Had some testing to do and didn't start casting 'till 10 pm. Here's about 1/3 of the 20# I cast.

The purists will cringe but I applied patina to the block faces and top. 20# of Boolits and the mold is clean.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HPBoolits.jpg  
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Oh 96/2.5/1.5 Alloy at 675F, PID controlled Lee 4-20, just under 3 casts a minute, mold preheated on a hotplate.

I've run the Alloy temp down to 640F in the MP 432256 and had alloy stick to the mold when mold and alloy temperatures were too close. Between the patina and running the mold slightly cooler Alloy don't stick.
    Mal

Just got mine. Purty.
    Last edited by dkf; 11-08-2013 at 04:47 PM.

Boolit Master

Miha, Oreo, Thanks!

The Hollow Point pin fit is fantastic. I ran at least 2 pots with each set of pins. Did a hot swap on the last set, perfect seal. I had to use black paper and lighting to show the part lines, you can't feel them.

Oreo, here's your photos, no safe queen here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HPBoolits1.jpg   HPBoolits2.jpg  
    Mal

Boolit Master
    That looks like a lot of good fun shooting Mal Paso. Good job!

Boolit Master
    I have this mold in a solid version. Shoots very well in both .44 mags and my 44spl.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Normaly I load 18grn of 2400 but I have come into about 15# of Bullseye. Has anyone ever loaded these with that powder. What was your experience and charge weight?

Boolit Master
    I had both the solid and HP version of this, sold the solid version on and kept the HP. It's a wonderful mold.

Got to test er out. Casts a fine boolit.

I cast up a mess myself. The alloy was roughly 2 parts pure lead to 3 parts WW's. I say roughly because I put 4 lbs. of sheet lead in my 10 lb. pot then filled it the remainder of the way with WW's. The result:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0328 mod.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	89118

The penta HP weighs 246 grs. and the large round HP 251 grs. and are at 9.5 Bhn.

I also tried one each of the bullets in water, each impacting the jugs at roughly 925 fps.

The penta HP exploded in the first jug with fragments of the nose remaining there. The remaining base of the bullet cam to rest in the fifth jug of water.

The large round HP violently exploded the first jug of water but the remainder of the bullet went to the seventh jug. I didn't recover any fragments because they all exited various jugs along the way.

Name:	429421 Penta HP Water test- reduced (1).jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	89119Click image for larger version. 

Name:	429421 Lg HP Test.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	89120

I'm going to use the large HP bullet for deer during the remainder of season. I'll load it over 7.5 grs of AL20/28 which has netted 975 fps out of my 4 3/4" Uberti and grouped about 6" @ 50 yds. from a sitting position.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Water seems to blow the noses off. Not the same as meat for testing.
    Mal

Boolit Master
    Anyone willing to do a little trading for these boolits? I should have some 50/50 mixed solids on my shelf. Id like to try some 50/50 mix HPs for hunting.
    PM me if you are interested
    "In GOD We Trust"

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    Water seems to blow the noses off. Not the same as meat for testing.
    The test was not to illustrate how the bullets will perform in muscle and bone, rather to illustrate the difference in the two types of bullets and their performance in like material, which it did.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

I have done the same test using these in my Marlin. Results were much the same as yours with the noses blowing of and the remaining body penetrating several water jugs.

I also tried making my own "ballistic media" from cheap available ingredients ~ flour and water. It wasn't a bad idea but in the end I decided that thick dough like blocks would probably not be re-usable anyway and harder to do my testing with so thinned down the "dough" to a muck like consistency to put into milk jugs. Well, if you have ever worked with goopy flour and water, you can just get an idea of the trouble I was in. In short, me and everything around me was covered in goop! Eventually I herded it into milk jugs and scraped what I could off me then went out in the bush.

In all honesty, think the goopy media was pretty good but it was not recoverable after shooting and strings of goop were hanging from trees! It did give good expansion results and slowed my boolits enough that I caught them in a rag bag so they were unharmed after expansion. That part worked well, however, the fight with the goop was to much to repeat.

Glen Fryxell uses 2 liter pop bottles full of water and shot end on as a simulant for "meat". The water gives enough resistance in the small bottle to provide decent expansion similar to what flesh does:

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellExpansionOfCastHP.htm

I made up, but have not yet tested, a frame to hang Ziploc baggies full of water up to 2 feet long and with a rag bucket at the end to catch the boolits. After using the bread dough goop I believe this will work. If not then I will hang a 2 liter pop bottle per Glen Fryxell.

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    Lefty,
    Did Miha have any extras that you could purchase?

Boolit Master
    Thanks but i cant afford a new mold right now. Plus these would only be for hunting. I like my solids for target work.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Bub

Newbe questioning hardness of used alloy

Hi there

As a newbe I casted my first bullets out of recovered range scrap + 2,2% tin. I am planning to load .44 mag Geco cases, CCI 300 primer, start load 8gn of Alliant Herco. Want to use it for my RBH 5,5" barrel length as a light target/accuracy load (MIP >= 450 or ca. 900fps) and in my Marlin 336 with micro grove 20" barrel.
    My mould drops 0,434". Pushed it without lube through the drum of the RBH -> diameter 0,4325", barrel 0,4295" and into the barrel of the Marlin -> 0,4328". Ordered a 0,432" oversized Lee sizer set and a Lee hardness test kit. Thats how far I am in the loading progress.

Name:	P1050307a.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	90039

That is what came out of the Marlin barrel - mind the deep hole my pushrod made at the back of the bullet.

Name:	P1050308a.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	90040

And the nose shortened as well when pushing it backwards out (left). Rifling of RBH (middle) and drum probe with dented nose (right).

Does it makes sence to try loading and shooting or would it be wise to remelt and add more tin?
    What do I need to look after to achieve accuracy?

Please comment and advice.
    Last edited by womblrup; 12-09-2013 at 11:16 AM.

I firmly believe softer is better. I cast out of this mould at 9.5 Bhn and got no leading at almost 1000 fps. I gave some to a buddy who ran them out of his S&W 629 @ 1150 fps with no leading.

35W

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I believe adding more tin would be a waste. Load them and shoot them.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Grand Master

I have the same mould and cast mostly from wheelweights or range scrap.

I load over IMR4227 mostly in my Marlin 1894 with microgroove rifling. I have little problem with leading and this boolit shoots very well for me. My typical load is 22 grs. IMR4227. Not max but fairly warm.

My groove diameter is 0.4315" and I use as cast boolits of up to 0.434" pan lubed.

One issue I did have was that I had several tight spots in my bore under dovetails and roll stamping. Even with fat boolits I got leading so lapped the tight spots out and that solved the problem.

Feeding SWC's was also a problem with my gun but some modifying of the carrier and cartridge stop fixed that. Some 1894's handle SWC's well and some do not. Mine did not. Not sure if that is an issue with the 336's or not.

Longbow

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast