Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: 7.5 MAS (7.5 x 54 French) dies?

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!

7.5 MAS (7.5 x 54 French) dies?

I was almost ready to order some Lee 7.5 MAS dies when I read the reviews. It seems that there were some complaints that the sizing die produces a "belted" case when resizing Privi brass. The solution was to hone the first 1/4" of the sizing die but I have no desire to do Lee's job for them....at least at this point.

Is there another .30 caliber I could use, JUST TO RESIZE THE NECK? I have all the usual military calibers, along with a 30-40 Krag neck die which might work if the cases are similar in diameter. Since I have only one rifle in this caliber, full length resizing really isn't necessary. Thanks!

Edit: Got it! I should have used the search function first........seems I'm not the only one to run into this problem and it turns out that 7.62 x 54 Russian dies will do a dandy job of neck sizing and bullet seating.
    Last edited by 3006guns; 12-06-2013 at 03:40 PM.

Boolit Master
    Who ever told you that is no reloading expert ! The dies work perfectly for 7.5 French and Lee dies for this caliber are fine dies. I reload Privi brass all the time in 7.5 French.

Frankly, where ever you read that report is a good place not to take advice from. Period.

Boolit Master
    Read the numbers, 7.5 French/7.62 Russian. One uses a .308 bullet and the other uses a .310/.311 bullet. Neck sizing with 7.62 dies will result in a sloppy bullet fit for the 7.5X54.

Heed Milprileb's advice, he knows what he is talking about.

Nothing wrong with Lee dies, if you want to neck size 7.5x54 brass, I use a Lee .308 Win collet neck sizing die with a spacer to take up the difference in the case lengths; works every time.
    ukrifleman

Boolit Grand Master

FWITW; Most 7.62x54R dies size the necks down for .308 bullets. They usually come with the extra .311 expander for that size bullet.

A shortened .284 Win Redding Bushing die shortened a bit is the best of all worlds for the 7.5 MAS and the 7.62x54R as with a small selection of the correct size bushings you can size the necks down for .002 - .003 neck tension w/o the need for any neck expander. The cases do virtually last forever.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    I just did a bunch of 7.5 MAS cases last night using my Hornady .308 neck sizer that I also use for the 7.62 NATO/308 Win cases, 30-06, 30-40 Krag and etc. All in converted 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser cases. Works like a champ.

Boolit Buddy

I neck size using a 7,5 swiss collet die...
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.

Thomas Jefferson

I uses a RCBS full length sizing die set when I loaded for my MAS 36 carbine. Those dies worked great. I am sure other brands work as well.