WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: SWC - Punchin' Paper

Boolit Mold

SWC - Punchin' Paper

Question: Is it just speed that affects a SWC bullet's ability to punch clean holes in paper?

Background:
    I recently started reloading due to availability and cost. I'm currently shooting a 158gr SWC in a 6 inch Ruger GP100. I first loaded it in 38spl using 4.0 grains of Unique. The target looked like I had just shot standard ball ammo - very ragged holes. I then loaded up the same boolit in 357mag using 6.2 grains of Unique. With those, I got a very, very clean cut hole in the target. Has anyone else seen the same thing? Is there anything else going on here to cause this other than projectile speed?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I may be wrong but I wouldn't think the speed has anything to do with it.. Was the paper target the same on both loads was it attached the same way. I think even the angle of the bullet as it hits the target would play a roll in what you are seeing. But I may be wrong sorry I was no more help. Have a good day

I don't have any idea how fast the boolits are going to the target from my 45ACP, but I am guessing around 750 to 800 fps. All of the paper targets that catch my Lee TL 250 SWC have these 'paper punch' holes in them and I really like that. I have shot 1r and 2r and Lee's clone H&G 68 and HP and j-word projectiles through it and they all make holes in the paper, but I just really like perfect little circles on the target. Lee's H&G 68 clones do real nice too but I have to run them through lube-sizer, and tumble lube boolits are so easy.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker View Post
    . Was the paper target the same on both loads was it attached the same way.
    It was the same day, same conditions, same piece of paper (targets printed about 4 inches from each other on that paper), about 2 minutes between the different rounds.

OK - wrote the below the line response, then re-read your OP before posting... Am I correct? Same gun, (assume same target setup, as mentioned above)? One load is 38 SPC case, other is 357 case?

Are you using the same dies? Just adjusting the depth for 38 vs 357. Is there a chance that when you load the one that is producing ball type target, you are shaving some lead in one load? Are the crimps the same?

I also checked data. 4 grns is on the low end for 38, but not so low that bullets should tumble...

-----------------
    two things I can think of. A SWC will sometimes cut a ripped hole if the target backing is not stiff and the target paper is not tight against the backing. The paper is allowed to move and rip a little.

If you are on the same target set up, and one is punching a torn hole, and other one isn't - 1) any chance that the barrel is worn and the bullet is starting to slightly keyhole when it hits the target?, or 2) bullet may be way undersized for the barrel of the one that is punching a torn hole.

Boolit Master

I've seen lots of ragged holes from SWCs if the paper was not snug up against the backer. It happened a lot in South Louisiana as teh paper sagged from humidity.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master

Backer makes the difference. Unsupported paper rips, supported by cardboard or wood will punch.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Backer makes the difference. Unsupported paper rips, supported by cardboard or wood will punch.

Bill
    MT that's what I was thinking but was not 100%

Boolit Bub
    Same gun, same cast, same target, same time, different loads. I would blame it on that at first. On the police range I have compared several targets and found little differences between 357 and 38, but they were WC, not SWC. Maybe your loads are low enough to the critical velocity for a clean cut. If the next loads reveal the same condition then I'd look for something else, but after reading this thread I wouldn't know where to start. Nice puzzle that I hope you solve and share.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks all. Yes, my cardboard backer was due for a refresh, and I had just been stapling new targets over old. I'll throw on some new cardboard and keep the targets flat. I'll post an update after my next trip to the range. Too bad it's closed until the end of January due to duck (wabbitt) season.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacf16 View Post
    Thanks all. Yes, my cardboard backer was due for a refresh, and I had just been stapling new targets over old. I'll throw on some new cardboard and keep the targets flat. I'll post an update after my next trip to the range. Too bad it's closed until the end of January due to duck (wabbitt) season.
    OK - WAY over-thought THAT one! $10 bet says it was the multi-paper targets stacked up. fresh cardboard backing and new target. Both loads and BET they make identical holes!

Boolit Master
    Though likely a different point of impact for the same aim.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post

Bill
    What he said
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator