RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lead wrapped electrical cable

Boolit Buddy

Lead wrapped electrical cable

I have asked this before but did not receive any replies...a friend has a quantity of lead that was used to wrap copper electrical cable...it was a "shield" that was then wrapped with another armor material. Anyone have any experience with melting and casting ? Primary use would be for muzzleloader round balls but I was thinking about 38 Special and 45 Colt also...thank you very much...

rick

Boolit Master
    I have had some of that. Its pretty soft as best I can remember.
    Probably would need to add a little tin. That was a long time ago.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    It is mainly dead soft lead. Treat is as such. If it still is on the cable.....that's a lot of work stripping it off for a small amount of lead!

I agree, you made a bit-o-tin to make your round balls look good. Definitely at last 1-2% tin for those cals you mentioned.

banger

Boolit Buddy
    jumbeaux: Is it "electrical" or "telephone" cable? I have used many hundreds of pounds of lead sheathed telephone cable and it is great material. I have found it a bit soft, about 6 BHN. Mixing it with 50% wheel weight and 1-2% tin makes a nice pistol bullet with a BHN of 9-10+. I have used a bit of the electrical cable shielding and it is also quite soft. Makes nice .45 & .50 caliber round balls, for a muzzle loader, works great as is. You may also mix it with wheel weight or lino-type to harden it.
    Try being informed instead of just opinionated.
    Sometimes it is better to just smile and walk away.

You can always tell a Handloader, by his unceasing quest for spent brass.

Boolit Buddy
    Just remember to melt it down outside. I still have some and boy does it stink when you smelt it.
    I keep trying to stay afloat but can't help from shooting holes in my own boat.

Boolit Buddy

It is electrical cable...it has been stripped already and is in pieces. Thought about melting and pouring into small "biscuits" utilizing cup cake pans...then melt and cast as as needed.

rick

Boolit Grand Master
    Years ago, I stripped several hundred feet of 1 MCM high voltage wire. This stuff contains 61 strands of #10 copper and is about 1 1/2" in diameter. As I recall, each foot of cable yielded 3 pounds of dead soft lead.

The best method to remove the lead is to lay the cable out on concrete and use a sledge hammer to split it, peel the lead of, then pull the copper out.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master
    If it is close to nothing, or free GRAB IT! Frog Licking tree huggers are not far behind. Gtek

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds like PILC if it was medium voltage. Paper insulated lead Cable. It is usually soft in the 6-7bn range. I have a pile of it but have yet to use it for casting.

Boolit Buddy
    Even with nothing attached to it ie: insulation or what ever it still stinks when smelted. Even when fluxed and cast I can still smell the difference in my ingots when using them.
    I keep trying to stay afloat but can't help from shooting holes in my own boat.

Boolit Master
    The stuff I had was (memory coming back) a 2-12 solid without ground. It was easy to strip. I got started with one conductor exposed enough to get a good grip on and just pulled against the shield.
    It ripped open all the way ( several hundred feet) . The second wire was easy to pull because the shield was already open from the first rip. It was dead soft pure blue lead.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

To the best of my knowledge when they used to protect cables with lead (in the "old days") it was pretty much pure lead. There was no need to add anything to harden it. Certainly the case with the communications cables we used here.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

[QUOTE=dikman "To the best of my knowledge when they used to protect cables with lead (in the "old days") it was pretty much pure lead. There was no need to add anything to harden it."[/QUOTE]

This is absolutely correct. I melted-down (and used) several miles of lead-sheathed telephone cables in the early days of my casting. Usually it was mixed with a bit of linotype, which was the only other source of bullet metal readily available to me in that far-North location. I had no trouble casting good target-quality pistol bullets.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Grand Master

Dad was a Bell Telephone Lineman and we turned literally tons of cable sheath into .38 wadcutters in the 60's. Simple lead tin alloys work great in low pressure cartridges like the .38 Special and .45 Colt.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

When I think about all the lead cable I used to see lying around (in my job) I get a bit depressed! We never worried about it, as whenever I needed some for fishing sinkers I just grabbed a bit. If I'd only known what I'd end up doing, I'd be set for life.......

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    When I think about all the lead cable I used to see lying around (in my job) I get a bit depressed! We never worried about it, as whenever I needed some for fishing sinkers I just grabbed a bit. If I'd only known what I'd end up doing, I'd be set for life.......
    When my father had his addition built, all the cable sheath he had stored under the old back porch had to go. I took about 600 pounds and all the rest, maybe 2 tons, got hauled off to the dump. I cry about it now, but back then 600 pounds of pure was a big stash. WW were better suited to my needs anyway and every gas station in town was more than happy to have Bob carry that bucket of trash out to your car for you. Free lead was everywhere. No sense in having huge piles of it laying around.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Buddy
    I have several hundred lbs of lead form scraping out submersible pump cable used in oilwells.
    It is not as soft as pure pb but close enough to treat it as such.

Boolit Master
    I've heard thru the grapevine that is is pure.

Boolit Man
    dead soft (solder joints 40sn 60pb) they wipe them they use alot of it I pickup them every chance I can

Boolit Mold
    The stuff I got was about 2" around with 3 large paper wrapped cables inside. It is pure lead wrapped. I cut it off with a angle grinder with a metal cutting blade, then pry open with screw drivers. I got over 1000 lbs of lead but had to return the copper to the guy I got it from. A fair trade for free lead which I melt into ingots outdoors .