Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40 S&W suggestions

40 S&W suggestions

Anyone have any mold recommendations for the .40 S&W? I'll be loading for a Glock 27. I've read all about the DON'T SHOOT CAST IN GLOCK STOCK BARRELS so don't turn this thread into more of that.

I like Lee molds and will even try the TL versions if they're given high marks by enough responders.

Which feeds better, Truncated Cone or RN?

Lube/sizing/hardness-blend suggestions are welcome too.

Boolit Buddy
    Taco, I have the LEE 6 CAV MOLD 401-175 TC and I like it. It dropped at .401 with ACWW. My glock 22 slugs at .401, and I got leading right off the bat. A short session of Leementing it and it drops at .4025-.403 out of all six cavities. I run it thru a star size die that has been opened up to .4023 and use bens red for lube.

I get good accuracy and no leading with moderate loads.

I am just getting started PC'ing some 45acp bullets, and so far I'm sold on it. Just haven't done any in 40 yet, but I will soon.

Scott

I have a Tanfoglio EAA Witness Match and I have found it to be a very comfotable, accurate and reliable pistol in all respects and it shoots exceedingly well with cast boolits. Also, for about $225 a piece you can get caliber conversions to use on the same frame. .22, 9mm, .45ACP, etc.

Boolit Master
    The lee molds will cast a bunch of boolits for cheap but if you're the type to spend the extra coin for top quality tools then there are some better options from MP Molds. I recommend sending a pm to Mihec to ask if there are any 402-190 molds left. (about $165) They are brass, 4-cavity, hollow point molds. The boolit design is a wide meplate round flat nose, with cramer hollow point pins.
    Last edited by Oreo; 11-27-2013 at 12:43 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I am very interested in this thread. I just bought the Lee 401-175 mold and have learned to like it. I only have a .401 size die to work with so I will experiment with alloys instead of larger diameter cast. On a related issue, I looked at Lee's web site to check out the 'Bulge Buster' and their warning about shooting brass that came from the Glock scared me a little. I am loading for a Springfield, but the weakened case still concerns me. I have no intention oh hijacking this thread, but I would like to know if anyone has knowledge or experience related the this issue.

Boolit Buddy
    +1 on the Lee 401-175 standard lube groove. I've had no leading yet in a Glock 22. As to the bulge buster, I would say you'll be OK just don't try to run +P loads.

Quote Originally Posted by AggieEE View Post
    +1 on the Lee 401-175 standard lube groove. I've had no leading yet in a Glock 22. As to the bulge buster, I would say you'll be OK just don't try to run +P loads.
    I've looked at this mold and wondered how it fed. I've also read here several places that size is a big factor in leading, even more so than lead blend, hardness or lube type. On using bulged cases, my G17 ate range brass that was resized with standard RCBS 9mm dies no problem. However, I didn't use that ammo in any other brand of pistol.

Anyone have experience with 38-40 boolits in the 40 S&W?

Boolit Buddy
    This one!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	402-190%20HP%20OREO,%20PLAIN%20BASE,%204%20cav%20Brass_1_small.jpg 
Views:	386 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	88778
    It's a dream to cast with once you get it figured out.

FYI-I use the LEE .401 175gr TL401-175 SWC 6 cav mold,unsized,tumble lubed with LEE Alox for Glock 22 stock barrel and SIG 226.Load 5.3gr UNIQUE and seat to 1.10".Runs good and easy to use.Have shot hundreds of rounds thru Glock&Sig w/only slight leading & clean with ChoreBoy on bronze brush when necessary.Very satisfied w/this setup and doesn't cost a bunch of $.

Quote Originally Posted by MTtimberline View Post
    This one!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	402-190%20HP%20OREO,%20PLAIN%20BASE,%204%20cav%20Brass_1_small.jpg 
Views:	386 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	88778
    It's a dream to cast with once you get it figured out.
    Looks beautiful and has several options. Bet its a high dollar unit. What do you have to "figure out"?

Quote Originally Posted by Cottonpicker View Post
    FYI-I use the LEE .401 175gr TL401-175 SWC 6 cav mold,unsized,tumble lubed with LEE Alox for Glock 22 stock barrel and SIG 226.Load 5.3gr UNIQUE and seat to 1.10".Runs good and easy to use.Have shot hundreds of rounds thru Glock&Sig w/only slight leading & clean with ChoreBoy on bronze brush when necessary.Very satisfied w/this setup and doesn't cost a bunch of $.
    Do you get good accuracy with this load?

Yes,I generally shoot TXDPS B-27 Target/Qualification(50rds).Very accurate & with SWC makes clean easy to see holes in target.I use LEE Deluxe 4 Die Pistol Set to load.

LEE 6 CAV MOLD 401-175 TC. In my glock 23.

Boolit Master
    Look at NOE site they have some good molds.

Boolit Master
    I had the same issues in glock 22 with this mold. Sized .401 and heavy leaded after 50 rounds.
    Not knowing how to fix it I brought a Storm lake barrel and that fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trapperscott View Post
    Taco, I have the LEE 6 CAV MOLD 401-175 TC and I like it. It dropped at .401 with ACWW. My glock 22 slugs at .401, and I got leading right off the bat. A short session of Leementing it and it drops at .4025-.403 out of all six cavities. I run it thru a star size die that has been opened up to .4023 and use bens red for lube.

I get good accuracy and no leading with moderate loads.

I am just getting started PC'ing some 45acp bullets, and so far I'm sold on it. Just haven't done any in 40 yet, but I will soon.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by garym1a2 View Post
    I had the same issues in glock 22 with this mold. Sized .401 and heavy leaded after 50 rounds.
    Not knowing how to fix it I brought a Storm lake barrel and that fixed it.
    Have thought of getting one of those or the Lone Wolf but they seem to always be sold out when I look for them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by taco650 View Post
    Looks beautiful and has several options. Bet its a high dollar unit. What do you have to "figure out"?
    Thats the MP Molds 402-190 I mentioned. Its developing a bit of a cult following around here. Its about $165, so not cheap, but it is the final word on 40sw/10mm molds. The mold casts easy and the boolits shoot good. Terminal performance on gel and deer has been documented as very good. Accuracy is superb. The boolit cures cancer if you shoot it in the right spot.

Figuring out the mold- You have to assemble all those pins when it comes in the mail. Sometimes the locating pins work better if they're left a tad loose. Then there is learning a rhythm with the hp pins. Its not hard but its different and takes a while to get it down to a smooth rhythm.

Boolit Master
    I have both the above mentioned Lee and MP molds, The MP is without a doubt the final word in .40 cal boolits but it does have a learning curve. I only use mine now for special purpose .40 and 10mm loads. The Lee I bought to cast up boolits fast for plinking and target shooting. It excells for this purpose. Just my thoughts
    See Some of My Holster Work Here:
    www.whitetigerleatherworks.com

My purposes for these boolits are for paper killing and general practice. The G27 is my "off-duty" gun and my dept does not provide practice ammo. I've got all the component to make ammo EXCEPT bullets and want to expand my casting habit. I think either of the Lee molds may be the way for me to go unless I can find a really good deal on a used higher-end mold.

Boolit Master
    For totally reliable feeding in my G22 w/LW barrel I cannot beat Lyman 401043. I drops at .404 dia. and 170 gr. I size to .401. The boolit is .603 long. Lyman calls for a COAL of 1.125 and I use 1.130 so I can see a hair of the first driving band above the case mouth. Great accuracy.

I've never seen a bad comment about it for 40 SW and I understand why.