WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taurus .44 Special

Boolit Grand Master

Taurus .44 Special

As a general rule, I'm not a big fan of Taurus Revolvers. I stopped in my favorite gun shop in Birmingham this afternoon and spotted this one in the display case.

It indexed perfectly, locked up tightly, was VERY smooth in double action and had a super nice single action trigger pull.

My thoughts were if I shot mild loads and most likely Very few of them that the revolver might work out well for a short range self defense piece.

Well......it followed me home.

I'm thinking that out on a lonely road at night that it might be a good friend to help get me home safely.

Ben

My IDEAL 431215 HP's. Should be just the ticket in this revolver.

Last edited by Ben; 11-16-2013 at 09:43 AM.

Great find! Been looking one of those in titanium for a while now and can't seem to locate one at a decent price. I figured it would make a brilliant backpack gun. I gotta believe 5 shots of cast .44 special HPs should solve most of your problems!
    "Truth is treason in the empire of lies" Ron Paul

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I own and shoot two Taurus 44 Specials, both model 441. At one time I had a S&W model 624 in 44 Special. After two years of frustration trying to get the Smiff to shoot alongside the Tauri I finally gave up and sent the Smiff to market. Tauri in 44 Special generally seem to have very good reputations. I like mine.

Boolit Master
    Certainly looks nice. Ought to be a hoot to shoot. Hope it works out for you.

Here lately, I've gotten a real kick(pun definitely intended) outta shooting small powerful handcannons. Not too powerful, and not for knats rear end accuracy, but small handguns with a sho nuff let you know you shot it.

Have no desire for a 454 tho, Ruger 45 are quite enough.

That little 44 special would be fun.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Perma-Banned

when i was much younger i carried one on the ranch, it shot good, not great but plenty good enough to punch a lot of jackrabbits and feral dogs tickets.
    like a fool i started hotrodding it, wasnt long before it started to shoot loose and i got rid of it.
    wish i would have kept it mild cuz i probably would still have it.
    i would definately load it soft, the steel in them wont take much heat.

Well done!!!!

The 44spl is 1 of those forgotten calibers that are real thumpers. I seen the taurus revolvers before but never bought/owned one of them. I have however owned ca bulldogs for decades.

Nice selection for your boolit, lite hp's (200gr to 225gr) in these pocket sized revolvers will put the smack on anything they get a hold of. I like to load the mihec 220gr hbwc's backwards in my 44spl pocket gun.

Attachment 87624

Boolit Grand Master
    WOW, those hollow base wadcutters really do look like bad boys.

Ben

I like my Taurus 441. For some reason, when I have taken women to the shooting range, they loved burning up the 44 special ammo.

Boolit Grand Master
    Known as " diminishing returns ", UUhhh ?

Boolit Master
    NIce Ben. I had one of the Titanium frame ones about five years ago. I should have you punch me in the face for selling it. What a fierce little carry pistol!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanWinchester View Post
    NIce Ben. I had one of the Titanium frame ones about five years ago. I should have you punch me in the face for selling it. What a fierce little carry pistol!
    I'm headed to the range with this one in a couple of days. I'll offer a report when that is done.

Many thanks,
    Ben

Boolit Master
    A friend purchased a used 4" from the LGS and found out it had some internal problem. He sent it back for repair, heard nothing for months.

Called and was told that the parts were no longer available and they couldn't fix it. He asked them to send it back, he'd get it fixed locally. They said they couldn't as it was a safety issue and was told that it was destroyed per policy and he'd have to get something else.

He went round and round and finally talked to a VP and got one of their 1911/9mm pistols with a bunch of mags thrown in.

So, the short one is if something breaks and you really like your 44 special, don't return it to the factory. Unless it's a major.safety issue

Boolit Grand Master
    I looked through my " stash of holsters ".
    Seems that I won't have to buy a holster after all.

Boolit Master

I shot a friend's Taurus 44 along with my Charter Arms on the same outing. Using the same cast 44 Spec loads the Taurus out shot the C/A with a shot string about 50% smaller.

Boolit Grand Master
    This thing isn't light...( that might be a + while shooting the revolver).

It is well built, nothing flimsy about this revolver.

Ben

Boolit Master
    Ben:

Nice find !
    Kinda looks like my S&W 696 except for the sights!
    Keep us updated after you shoot it a bit !

I really like that holster !

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Buddy
    Yep,used to own a 441,shot commercial 200 RNFP and 240 SWC and as you noted they have a good heft to them,seemed to soak up the recoil nicely.Used published loads,easy to shoot,accurate and thumpers to boot,no need to hot-rod.One of those"Why the heck did I sell it?"Owned a 624 later on,To me the gun was too big for the caliber,sold that one too!!!Had to fund the latest flavor of the month!!Preferred the Taurus,enjoy yours.Cheers,Mike.

Boolit Man
    I have one of the 445 UL in 44 special with the satin finish. Very nicely built and closely fitted little gun, it is a keeper. One of two Taurus guns I have had that was actually built by someone paying attention. Only real flaw is that I can't dry fire it like I do most of my other centerfire revolvers or else the firing pin spring gets stuck once every, I don't know, maybe every 30 cycles or so and then I have to take the gun apart to fix it. Don't dry fire it and it is flawless. It really likes cast bullets from one of the earlier GB Mihec 200 gr 44 moldshttp://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ighlight=mihec over about 9 grains of power pistol for a little over 1000 fps from the 2 in barrel. With the deep hollow point on that mold and the right alloy it can give some dramatic expansion. Only living thing I have shot with it has been some trapped coons, but on lengthwise shots the bullet expands so violently it doesn't exit.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes, mine is a 445 also.

Ben

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GLL View Post
    Ben:

Nice find !
    Kinda looks like my S&W 696 except for the sights!
    Keep us updated after you shoot it a bit !

I really like that holster !

Jerry
    Jerry ,

Very nice.
    Can't beat a nice Smith.

Ben