Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 30-30 Marlin bullet design

Right now I'm using a 311284 (222gr), it cant be mag fed, but singly loaded shoots really good. I definately would like to try the 311041 and if it does well I'd get a 5 cavity mold.

The .31141 with gas check or paper patched is the best I have found for the two Marlins I load for. One is Ballard and the other is Micro-groove. Make final dimension .310 or .311.

The mould I have is an older Lyman and bullets drop right at .3105 with my alloy. I am going to have Accurate Molds cut a 4 banger to the same spec.

what is the difference between the 31141 and the 311041?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    The .31141 with gas check or paper patched is the best I have found for the two Marlins I load for. One is Ballard and the other is Micro-groove. Make final dimension .310 or .311.

The mould I have is an older Lyman and bullets drop right at .3105 with my alloy. I am going to have Accurate Molds cut a 4 banger to the same spec.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by .429 View Post
    what is the difference between the 31141 and the 311041?
    They are the same, Lyman just added the 0.

oh ok! i have seen them both mentioned on here many times, but was never sure. thanks for clarifying
    Quote Originally Posted by codgerville@zianet.com View Post
    They are the same, Lyman just added the 0.

Boolit Grand Master
    If foggy memory serves, I though Al (NOE) said he would eventually get around to do the copy of RD's 311-0170-RF at some future date. I've been waiting & hoping for him to offer it. In the mean time, if you can get any other offerings from his shop, you won't be disappointed.

bhn22
    Lyman 311291 is a favorite, if you can find one that casts big enough for Marlins, my personal favorite is RCBS 30-180-FN. You'll need something that casts at .311 min, and you'll want the bullets cast pretty hard. I size to .311, and cast bullets hard for microgroove when I have them.

would lyman #2 alloy be hard enough in your opinion?
    Quote Originally Posted by bhn22 View Post
    Lyman 311291 is a favorite, if you can find one that casts big enough for Marlins, my personal favorite is RCBS 30-180-FN. You'll need something that casts at .311 min, and you'll want the bullets cast pretty hard. I size to .311, and cast bullets hard for microgroove when I have them.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

I guess the first thing I would ask the OP is what is your intended use. I'm with Dan Cash, I have a micro groove of recent manufature and a 1950's marlin with real rifling. The micro groove shoots as well or better than the fat forearm 50's version. My advice, chamber as fat a boolit as the chamber allows. Since there won't be any nose support for your design choice avoid "bore riders". Maximize your bearing surface, think loverins. It's all about fit.

I actually have a very well dimesioned 311041 that shoots exceedingly well in every rifle in which it's been tried, to include several members here to whom I've loaned the mould. An excellent hunting boolit as it may be, I prefer the 311291 for plinking and general fun shooting. Ownership of a 5C NOE clone 311291 capable of casting scads of boolits makes the decision easier. I'm pushing ACWW to slightly more than 1800 fps out of the micro groove and accuracy is excellent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Lyman 311041
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    If foggy memory serves, I though Al (NOE) said he would eventually get around to do the copy of RD's 311-0170-RF at some future date. I've been waiting & hoping for him to offer it. In the mean time, if you can get any other offerings from his shop, you won't be disappointed.
    Tom at Accurate molds has the Ranchdog 311-170 cataloged as the 31-170R. The 31-170S may be a better version with two lube grooves and more bearing surface.

Rick

Boolit Grand Master
    Although a little on the light side for some, I have an NOE 311-466 that shoots very well when cast from Lyman No.2 equivalent and lubed with Bens Red. Over 17.0 grains of 2400, it shoots to limit of my ability. I can do no better with peep sights than this load performs.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I too have very good luck with my 311041 boolit from Lyman. I cast from WW. water quench and size the .311. Happy with 1 - 2 inch groups out to 100 yards with my micro grooved 336 at approx 1750 fps.

I May try some of the 311291 boolits as well.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

I reload a lot of 30-30 for Marlin 336 lyman 311291 Hollow point Hunting loads Levers quit well also (311041 for friends winchester)

Banned

Accurate Molds already has cataloged designs for most of the things mentioned here, and can be ordered to cast any size with any alloy one could want. This includes several RD -type designs. I'm plugging Accurate here because many people seem to forget that there's anywhere else to go other than MiHec for premium, custom moulds.

Gear

Boolit Master
    My 336 was shipped in 66. Bore slugs 308. My Lyman 311041 casts my soft alloy at 309. I size to 309 and 17 gr of 2400 gets me 1700 fps. With the 4x scope I had on it 10 shot groups would usually stay below 2" @ 100 yds. Lots of three shots at an inch.
    From what I read on here marlins run big in the bore but mines right where I need it to be.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Buddy
    Check out the closeout section of the Lee reloading company website. They have the ranchdog .311-165 mold listed for just over fifty dollars, says it is an over run.
    Sometimes I think we make things harder than they have to be

Thank you Cattleskinner, I just bought one from Lee. I used the link from the banner at the top of this page. After I get a .311 push through, I'll crank them out!
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Mold
    I am using the accurate molds 311165D by Tom in Marlin xlr,but my barrel groove size is .310 so i got Tom to change it to 312165D ,all driving bands are .312 and works very good with 26 grains of ADI2206H

Quote Originally Posted by Terrence Clarke View Post
    I am using the accurate molds 311165D by Tom in Marlin xlr,but my barrel groove size is .310 so i got Tom to change it to 312165D ,all driving bands are .312 and works very good with 26 grains of ADI2206H
    Nice! Do u shoot it as cast?