Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2

Thread: Not good!

Not good!

I went to my local scrapyard yesterday to get some wheel weights. The guy that runs the place is a fellow caster and allows me to fill my own bucket which helps me avoid the zinc and steel weights. Normally I can get as much as I can carry and his prices range from 38 to 50cents/lb. Yesterday I was only able to get 30lbs and he said they have been coming in really slowly. He did have some old plumbers lead that had been pulled out of some cast iron pipe joints and he want 68 cents/lb for that.

I haven't been out there for a whlie as I haven't done that much casting or shooting this year due to my five year old grandson living with us while his dad is stationed in Korea. I have a small tire shop that saves all his WW for me, but that has only yielded a bucket full in the last year. I'm not complaining, I probably have about 600lbs right now. But it looks like things are really starting to dry up around here pretty good.

I finally started looking for wheelweights after my lifetime supply started getting low. First scrounge session in twenty years. Got a hundred pounds fairly quickly. After sorting, fully half were not lead. Dang, this ain't good.

Boolit Buddy
    It amazes me how there's no metal that comes remotely close to lead for to providing the common man a means to make his own projectiles. It takes tyrants to ruin such a good thing.

Not good!

Started casting about a year ago. I had a couple sources of lead . Today when I called to get more. I learned that one hoarder had bought them out totally. I'm not talking a small amount either-- it filled a pick up bed. Now I'm headed to a range and a couple tire stores for whatever I can get. Got fingers crossed.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by blixen View Post
    Started casting about a year ago. I had a couple sources of lead . Today when I called to get more. I learned that one hoarder had bought them out totally. I'm not talking a small amount either-- it filled a pick up bed. Now I'm headed to a range and a couple tire stores for whatever I can get. Got fingers crossed.
    I hope he had a lot of air in his tires, I have hauled some serious overloads in heavy pickups, but a pickup bed filled with lead. lol

Last year I hauled 1,923 pounds of lead in the back of my 1/2 ton Ford pick-up and it was a load in it, I would not want to put much more at all.

Michael Grace
    +1 on PIF's

If I can't get lead, I'll use zinc. Have an endless supply from used boat zinc anodes. May not be as heavy as lead but it does have some weight and is also harder so should be useable for faster loads without gas checks. I think I would need brass or iron moulds, but don't have any so can't try them out now. Will post the results when I can do some testing.

I guess we all just have to keep getting what we can get. 30 lbs of lead here, a few hundered primers there. Powder seems to be the most difficult for me right now. We won't even discuss .22lr.

Buy what is available while it is available.

Boolit Master

I may be wrong but I believe you can go South of the border and get it,China will probably send some to.But as long as the dope headed ***** and the tree huggers are around we will have a fight on our hnds.