Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quickest way to remove LLA and one shot case lube on 9mm rounds

Boolit Master

Quickest way to remove LLA and one shot case lube on 9mm rounds

I am reloading some 9mm rounds.
    Used LLA on the bullets (swirl and shake)
    used one shot lube on the cases.

Tried tumbling the loaded rounds, cases came out clean, but bullets were full of corncob dust.
    Should I just leave it that way?

I tried cleaning the cases+bullets with mineral spirits, works fine, but no way I am doing that on a large scale.

How do you do it? Fastest painless way possible plz.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I tried that once and a little more mineral spirits into the cob media seemed to work OK . It didn't seem to affect accuracy compared to those that were not cleaned that way .

Jack

Boolit Master
    I used the spirits on a rag... I dont think it's safe to add that to the tumbler.

Is it really a problem having cob coated bullets? not really I guess? So just tumble loaded rounds 30min and be done with it?

Boolit Grand Master

The corn cob dust should not cause a problem, but buy some moly so you can cover the LLA with it. Makes it non sticky.
    I don't like tumbling loaded cartridges so I use RCBS case lube which is water soluble. I remove it by either tumbling the empty case after sizing, wiping with a cloth and alcohol, or put the cases in a container with soap and water in it. They dry fast here in Az.
    Do you use steel dies for the 9mm? I use carbide and do not have to lube them.
    Using the Hi-Tek coating that is baked on is a little more time consuming but the end result is so much better than LLA I suggest you check out the thread in the Boolit Lube section.

I haven't used straight LLA since trying 45/45/10 Recluse lube. It's easy to make and it dries hard without the stickiness of Alox. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Recluse+recipe
    "We have federal regulations and state laws that prohibit hunting ducks with more than three rounds. And yet it's legal to hunt humans with 15-round, 30-round, even 150-round magazines." Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-California)

Boolit Master
    I want fastest, cheapest, most effective.

Boolit Grand Master

Mineral sprits on a rag. It shouldn't take long to wipe them off. There is no harm in adding it to a tumbler either. I add a little every time I use mine since it helps keep the dust down.

Banned

use walnuts instead of corncob

Boolit Master
    I have50 pounds of 20/40 corncob. Good for 40 years.
    Will try some mineral spirits to media.

Boolit Buddy
    just get an old bath towel dampen it well with mineral spirits. Put the rounds in the towel and with an opposing up and down action on the ends of the towel the rounds are spanking clean in about 30 seconds or so. A couple hundred rounds at a time isn't a problem, as long as you take care in folding the top portion of the towel.

Boolit Master
    Do you have a cross-cut paper shredder? If so, try the paper particles as the media and maybe there would be no chaff left on the ammo. Add just a touch of Nu-Finish and they may look awesome! I may try that myself one of these days, but I have not been using LLA or such as of late.

prs

You are not going to like this but, the fastest, cheapest, most effective way to remove the LLA is to melt the boolits and recast them.

bhn22
    For the cases? Ditch the steel dies and go with a carbide set. No lube required. For the lube? learn to live with it, or buy a lubrisizer and lube the bullets conventionally. Some guys are powder coating, or using other methods to lube or coat bullets. Messy bullets is just the nature of the way you've chosen to lubricate your bullets.

Throw a little butter in the shaker so your shots will smell like buttered popcorn when you fire.
    You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
    You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
    You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
    You cannot further brotherhood of a man by inciting class hatred.
    You cannot build character and courage by taking away people’s initiative and independence.
    You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.

When I first thought about the idea of putting loaded rounds in a tumbler, I decided it was a bad idea; for one reason. What if the vibrations caused the powder to break down into smaller pieces or even to dust in powders like unique. I'll bet that would change the burning rate of the powder. Something to think about before you tumble loaded rounds. Ok, now you can all say I'm crazy for being paranoid; but I'm only paranoid cuz everything's against me.
    Never in history has there been a situation so bad that the government couldn't make it worse.
    A foolish faith in authority is the enemy of the truth.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Prospector Howard View Post
    When I first thought about the idea of putting loaded rounds in a tumbler, I decided it was a bad idea; for one reason. What if the vibrations caused the powder to break down into smaller pieces or even to dust in powders like unique. I'll bet that would change the burning rate of the powder. Something to think about before you tumble loaded rounds. Ok, now you can all say I'm crazy for being paranoid; but I'm only paranoid cuz everything's against me.
    This has been proven to be false. And all factory rounds are tumbled before you receive them. This is one rumor that I never understood.

Boolit Master

I used paint thinner in corn cob media to tumble many thousands of 9 mm ammo years ago. Never a problem. No need to do it now, I use CR lube and clean the One Shot off the cases before loading them.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kryogen View Post
    I am reloading some 9mm rounds.
    Used LLA on the bullets (swirl and shake)
    used one shot lube on the cases.

Tried tumbling the loaded rounds, cases came out clean, but bullets were full of corncob dust.
    Should I just leave it that way?

I tried cleaning the cases+bullets with mineral spirits, works fine, but no way I am doing that on a large scale.

How do you do it? Fastest painless way possible plz.
    The simplest way is to give each one a quick swipe with some steel wool. I know that sounds like a pain, but you will be surprised how fast a 100 rounds will clean up! Ask me how I know.

Shad
    I believe in gold, silver, & lead, and the rights of free honest men... You can keep the "CHANGE"!

Shad

bhn22
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    This has been proven to be false. And all factory rounds are tumbled before you receive them. This is one rumor that I never understood.
    Plus they ride thousands of miles in OTR trucks, which might even be more of a workout than an hour or so in a tumbler.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by steg View Post
    just get an old bath towel dampen it well with mineral spirits. Put the rounds in the towel and with an opposing up and down action on the ends of the towel the rounds are spanking clean in about 30 seconds or so. A couple hundred rounds at a time isn't a problem, as long as you take care in folding the top portion of the towel.
    I've cleaned loaded rounds this way for decades - easy, and complete. The rounds turn out beautiful! Just a couple of glugs of MS, spread over the towel, does the job.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)