MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uberti 1873 44 Magnum Carbine

Boolit Master

Uberti 1873 44 Magnum Carbine

Found a couple of threads on this carbine but no real review. Thinking of getting one. I have a lot of 44 brass/bullets. Was looking for a 44 Special but seems not available.

Anyone out there have one of these?

Wouldnt be using 44 Mag pressures a lot except maybe for hunting. 200 gr cast at 1200-1300 mostly.

Thanks, Bob

Boolit Master
    Bill: If I find anything I will put it here. I think I saw a youtube video some time back. Was from Europe, Germany I think. Shot a few rounds with no problem.

I did find where someone called Uberti about it. He was told the metal was specially hardened. They were unable to get case colors so it is made in a blued receiver only. I guess I may have to buy one to get any info.

Do you like your 44 Special 1873? Any problems? What cartridge OAL will work? What bullets have you tried? I would like one of those or an 1866.

I have an 1873 in .44 Special. I shoot a 170 gr. RNFP for CAS, and a 260 gr. SWC out of an RCBS 44-250KT mould for all other things. Even though the two loads differ somewhat in o.a.l., it feeds both just fine.

I've gotten up to a little over 1400 fps with the 260 gr. bullet using W-296.

I've been eyeing one of those Uberti .44 Magnums too. Had I seen them before I bought my .44 Special, I'd have bought one.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    The 44mag version would be great platform I think for mild 44 mags and stout 44 specials.

Boolit Mold
    Not to bring this thread up from the dead but...

I just got an 1873 .44 Mag Carbine tonight and when I tried to cycle one of my 1.685 OAL .44 Magnum case, 429421, 9.5 grains Unique it was too long. The Lyman manual calls for 1.710 max OAL for this bullet but 1.685 is what I have always loaded them to. I have lots and lots of these bullets and shoot them exclusively in all of my .44 sixguns. I got the .44 Magnum carbine because I have so many of the 429421 bullets and a lot more magnum brass than special. Has anyone gotten the 429421 to run in one of these new carbines? I'm the opposite of you Whelen, I wanted a Special Sporting Rifle with the checkered pistol grip in .44 Special but all of my sixguns in .44 are magnums save for one Uberti SAA in .44 Special. I have a consecutive pair of old Vaquero's in .44 Mag and wanted the '73 to go with those for CAS shooting (which I have never done yet). I didn't want to shoot tons of Specials out of the magnum revolvers and deal with leading the cylinders up or having to get more Special brass. I have literally 1000+ rounds of mag brass vs. 200 rounds of Special.
    Last edited by Norseman1; 01-08-2016 at 06:37 PM.

WOW! I had forgotten about this thread. I have since bought a Uberti 1873 carbine in .44 Magnum too. Hands down, it is the slickest out of the box action I've ever operated. I've owned it for over a year and still get wobble-kneed when I see her in the laundry room gun rack! OK, now for your issue....

I'm afraid the SAAMI o.a.l. for the .44 Magnum is 1.610" and the 1873 rifles, even the old ones, have carrier blocks that are 1.610" in length. So, the o.a.l. of any cartridge in the '73's is limited to the length of the carrier. With my NOE 429421 mould this would require seating the bullet just to the front edge of the driving band.

So this problem requires some creative thinking. The quick solution would be to trim about .085" from your .44 Magnum brass, crimp in the bullets crimp groove, and be done with it. Another option would be to seat the 429421 to the correct o.a.l. then apply a crimp with a Lee crimp die. The only other thing I can think of, and it doesn't sound like a viable option for you, is to have Tom at www.accuratemolds.com make a custom mould for you that would cast a bullet that would result in the o.a.l. you seek. He doesn't charge any extra for custom designs, by the way.

I haven't fired any .44 Magnums through my Uberti as I really bought it to use with my .44 Specials as I typically load them a hair over book loads all the way up the Keith load that I fire in my Flat Top Blackhawk. I haven't done lots of load development yet, as the rifle so far has been a companion in the deer blind when I'm handgun hunting. Nevertheless, it's been pretty accurate with .44 Special loads, what little I've fired it.

Please keep us posted with your decision and results and I'd love to see a picture of your rifle.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    WOW! I had forgotten about this thread. I have since bought a Uberti 1873 carbine in .44 Magnum too. Hands down, it is the slickest out of the box action I've ever operated. I've owned it for over a year and still get wobble-kneed when I see her in the laundry room gun rack! OK, now for your issue....

I'm afraid the SAAMI o.a.l. for the .44 Magnum is 1.610" and the 1873 rifles, even the old ones, have carrier blocks that are 1.610" in length. So, the o.a.l. of any cartridge in the '73's is limited to the length of the carrier. With my NOE 429421 mould this would require seating the bullet just to the front edge of the driving band.

So this problem requires some creative thinking. The quick solution would be to trim about .085" from your .44 Magnum brass, crimp in the bullets crimp groove, and be done with it. Another option would be to seat the 429421 to the correct o.a.l. then apply a crimp with a Lee crimp die. The only other thing I can think of, and it doesn't sound like a viable option for you, is to have Tom at www.accuratemolds.com make a custom mould for you that would cast a bullet that would result in the o.a.l. you seek. He doesn't charge any extra for custom designs, by the way.

I haven't fired any .44 Magnums through my Uberti as I really bought it to use with my .44 Specials as I typically load them a hair over book loads all the way up the Keith load that I fire in my Flat Top Blackhawk. I haven't done lots of load development yet, as the rifle so far has been a companion in the deer blind when I'm handgun hunting. Nevertheless, it's been pretty accurate with .44 Special loads, what little I've fired it.

Please keep us posted with your decision and results and I'd love to see a picture of your rifle.

35W
    LOL, I kept a tab open with those two pics from the day you got your carbine to drool over while I waited for mine.

I might just get a bunch of .44 Special brass and run them hot when I want to hunt with it. What other bullet would you recommend that would give similar performance to the 429421 and work with that OAL in magnum brass?cast
    Thanks for the info. I'll get some pics up when there's better light. It came with a very pretty piece of wood on the buttstock.

Boolit Mold
    I just checked my Lyman 49th edition reloading manual and it looks like I'm going to need some more .44 Special brass if I want to shoot cast bullets in this carbine. I guess that's OK because I have some tax return money earmarked for that Special Sporting rifle (20") n .44 Special if Cimarron ever gets anymore.

Boolit Mold
    Seriously though, there must be a cast bullet out there that will go 1.610 OAL in magnum brass.

I don't know of any other bullet, at least not in SWC. If you have 1000+ Mag brass, why not just trim a couple hundred?

I just measured some once fired .44 Magnum brass and is 1.275". With a required o.a.l. o f 1.610", this will allow a bullet with a nose not exceeding .335". With a .34" nose, this one comes REAL close: http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...43-250TG-D.png Fact is, I'm sure Tom could easily alter the mould to your requirements. Here's another that would work http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=43-255M-D.png but it's a WFN design. And another http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=43-270T-D.png . He offers so many different styles, it's mind boggling. I don't know if you've ever seen or used any of his moulds, but they are beautiful and the quality is astounding.
    My favorite hunting bullet s the one pictured above out of an RCBS 44-250 KT mould. I love the bullet as it's very accurate and penetrates like crazy. This struck a buck in the flank running about 1050 fps and travelled all the way up to his brisket.

I'm anxious to see the wood on your rifle. I'm hoping someday to replace the wood on mine by buying a semi inletted walnut stock, fitting it and finishing it with boiled linseed oil for that traditional look. I did that to a new '92 Rossi and it gave the rifle a much more traditional, classy look.

35W

NRA Life Member

Boolit Mold
    They do look nice. I like the look of the #43-255M. Thanks for the links.

I am just getting into casting after handloading for 20+ years. What configuration do you recommend getting the mold in? In the past I always bought my bullets from M&P in Vermont. He made it so affordable it was hardly worth the expense of casting myself.

Boolit Mold
    I'll get some pics up this weekend with any luck. I had one other '73, a .44-40, 24" octagon barrel Uberti rifle. It seemed about as heavy and unwieldy as any 1886 I've owned. I probably don't need the 20" octagon sporting rifle in the long run. This carbine sure seems more handy. We have a lot of thick, heavy timber, steep ground where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman1 View Post
    They do look nice. I like the look of the #43-255M. Thanks for the links.

I am just getting into casting after handloading for 20+ years. What configuration do you recommend getting the mold in? In the past I always bought my bullets from M&P in Vermont. He made it so affordable it was hardly worth the expense of casting myself.
    By configuration do you mean what material for the mould and how many cavities? If so, that's sort of a personal choice. He details the properties of each material on the site. I typically have them made in aluminum 2-cavity, but I do have a couple of 4-cavity moulds for my .44 Specials because I tend to shoot them so much. If I ever get another from Tom, I'm thinking about having an iron block cut. They're quite a bit more expensive, but iron is all but indestructible.

Funny you got rid of a 24" 44-40, I'm in the process of buying one in an 1866 model. You are correct in that they're very heavy, but I intend to only use this one for fun shooting and if I ever decide to NCOWS.

35W

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Guys: Thanks for the new info!

I have a 24 inch Marlin 1894 Cowboy that will take a 1.710 COL. It was set up this way at the factory. It feeds the Keith bullet perfectly. The bore requires a .433 cast bullet.

The earlier Marlins were set up for 1.610. The factory took .100 off the back of the carrier which allows more bullet types to be used.

It might be possible to use a longer bullet in the 1873 if the rifle is modified. I heard the 1866 repros in 38 Special were modified to take a greater range of ammo lengths by adding a taper in the receiver or on the carrier somehow. I would contact one of the cowboy gunsmiths.

Or you could just look for a bullet that will load to the proper length. I would suggest a wide round nose flat point.

Boolit Master
    Norseman1: I looked at the Bear Tooth Bullets website and there are some bullets that should work. The 240 gr WFN looks to have the right nose length with a wide meplat for hunting.

Boolit Mold
    I really appreciate all of the advice. I couldn't get the site to work for a few days, was it down?

In the meantime I noticed that the rear of the carrier and the receiver's matching face had dents like someone had pried the two with a screwdriver blade or something. It was visible with the action closed and locked up. It also had a scuff through the bluing on the dustcover that I was willing to live with but after noticing the dents it went back. I don't know what to do now. Get another '73 44 Mag, get the straight grip short rifle they have in stock in 44 Special if I am going to be forced to use 44 Special cases to use my beloved 429421, or wait for the deluxe short rifle with pistol grip and checkering in 44 Special due in a month or two? Or.... the Marlin 1894 is shipping again and supposedly with much improved fit and finish over the 2008 guns..

As stated in a previous post, I had a Short Rifle in .44 Special. It was a great rifle bur was heavy to me. That's why i chose the carbine But if a person isn't planning on carrying the rifle alot, it's no big deal. Can't speak to much about the Marlins. I have a couple (.375 & 45-70) but they're the older ones with Micro-Groove rifling and I never had any luck with cast bullets. The new ones may have Ballard rifling though.
    35W

NRA Life Member

Boolit Mold
    I agree the '73 24 inch oct. barrel 44-40 I had was like my T/C Hawken.

I'll probably get another of the carbines in 44 Mag and hope for a better one.

Boolit Mold
    The new carbine showed up last night. The only blemish is an inch long scratch where the assembler slid the forend band on the barrel. OCD I know but these aren't cheap to acquire.

I had 150 rounds of 429421 loaded in 44 Special brass over 6.0 grains of Unique so I decided to warm up the barrel a little. I have an 8x10 steel plate at about 50 yards in my tree line that I can shoot from my deck. I set the rear sight on the third elevation notch and was able to hit the plate fairly consistently offhand in the failing light. The loads are mild enough that my 8 year old took a shot with it and hit the plate with his first shot while resting his elbow on the deck rail.

i should be just over 800 fps with that load out of the carbine. I'm going to load some Skeeter loads and a few with 17 grains of 2400 as well when I empty some more brass I have more Unique on hand than 2400 right now so I'll probably load 50 or 100 @ 7.5 grains of Unique. My .429 bullets are limited to 1500 429421's and a single 100 round box of 240 grain XTP's right now. I only have 200 pieces of Special brass and as stated the 429421 is too long when loaded in my ample supply of Magnum brass.

Thanks for all of the input, I appreciate the interest. I love this little carbine. I didn't think I would like the rubber buttplate vs a traditional carbine style but it shoulders nicely and is snug and secure against a wool shirt.

Glad you got it! Please keep us posted on it!

35W

NRA Life Member