MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning case lube off cases

Boolit Bub

Cleaning case lube off cases

I've been using Lee case lube(mix with alcohol in small pump spray bottle, shake, spray, let dry), and to clean it off I've been putting the brass in a bottle with some hot water and a dash of soap, shake around, rinse, dry, then tumble to get the remnants.

Was starting to clean some cases and saw a bottle of degreaser I use around the house: 'LA's Totally Awesome' cleaner/degreaser. This isn't the orange-scented stuff, it's in a different bottle and has a dilution scale on the side(I get it at the dollar store, I think Wally World also carries it). Put in enough water to cover the cases(I use an old laundry detergent bottle) and poured in 1-2 ounces, put the lid on and shook. Let it sit a couple of minutes, shook again, then drained and rinsed the cases(holes drilled in the lid so can drain without spilling cases).

It appears to have stripped every trace of lube off the brass. I've got it drying now, but I think it'll only need a few minutes in the tumbler to shine it a bit. Works a lot faster and better than soapy water.

Boolit Master
    I use brake cleaner and dry with a hair dryer.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Brake cleaner can produce cancer ... wipe the cases with mineral spirits and put in the box. The spirits evaporates and dries
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Brake cleaner can produce cancer ... wipe the cases with mineral spirits and put in the box. The spirits evaporates and dries
    Breathing causes cancer! As a full time mechanic for 25 years with the City of LA, I was subjected to "politically correct, environmentally friendly" products that made my job quite a bit harder. I was not allowed to use chlorinated nor non-chlorinated brake clean.

I just throw my lubed/processed cases in my tumbler to remove excess lube. Way less work! But I use mink oil boot dressing which goes on very sparingly, a very thin coat is all that's needed. Never had a stuck case, no "dents" in the shoulders, and it leaves my hands silky smooth...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

With cast I use an old sock and wipe down when I shoot at the range before chambering the rounds; jacketed prairie dog rounds I clean in a tumbler with crushed walnut hulls for 10 minutes.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    Depends.

For light loads I just shoot 'em.

For others, I tumble after sizing.

For small batches, I put the loaded roudns on an old towel with a few tsp of mineral spirits and roll 'em around.

Boolit Master
    Rinse cases in hot soapy water, rinse in hot water, allow to drain a minute then rinse in 90% isopropyl alcohol.
    The IPA will absorb the water and will dry in about 3 to 5 mins.
    EDG

Wipem, lubem, size & deprime them.

Into the media, out come shinny cases ready to load
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

wipe the cases with mineral spirits and put in the box. The spirits evaporates and dries
    This is what I do. Put a handful of cases on an old shirt, splash some rubbing alcohol, shake it up in the rag/shirt. No need to rinse.

Another brake clean vote.

With any wax type lube, I spray Windex into an old towel and wipe. Comes clean & dry.

Boolit Master

So can Bacon, but I'm not giving that up either.

Boolit Master
    Imperial sizing wax: comes off cases in 30 min in walnut media in my tumbler.

Please no one be distracted by what I said and back away from making your life miserable with all those labor intensive solutions to taking lube off cases and for goodness sakes, those who dump cases into water , please enjoy the dry time and all
    the mess.

Boolit Master
    My cases go from water to alcohol to loading again before yours get out of the that nasty tumbler.

Quote Originally Posted by milprileb View Post

Please no one be distracted by what I said and back away from making your life miserable with all those labor intensive solutions to taking lube off cases and for goodness sakes, those who dump cases into water , please enjoy the dry time and all
    the mess.
    EDG

I consider myself a novice reloader so this discussion is interesting. When my cases get really dirty, I soak them in Dawn, shake with some alcohol and dry them in the sun or over a heat source. Then I reload and shoot until they are dirty again. I don't use much case lube (I shoot mostly neck-sized plinking loads) and wipe my rounds down before I shoot them.

When they get to the point of needing trimming, I finish with polishing step with a dry green scouring pad--that's the only time my cases shine.

Does it affect performance to reload dull cases? Or just an aesthetic choice?

Boolit Grand Master

Some of you like to make things harder then they need to be. If you have a tumbler throw them in it and do other things while the brass is being cleaned. The lube will be all gone w/in thirty minutes at most. I don't get using solvents which cost money and in some cases can only be used once. I use enough of them at work, with proper solvent resistant gloves, to not want to touch them when reloading.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by milprileb View Post

the mess.
    You obviously never tried wet tumbling. BTW, what makes you say the process in "labor intensive"? Throw them in the soup; rinse, put in an oven to dry, and then load pristine brass. As I said earlier, I'm not OCD but I do take pride in how my finished round appears. Also it's easier to find once it jumps out of my gun and onto the ground.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by blixen View Post
    I consider myself a novice reloader so this discussion is interesting. When my cases get really dirty, I soak them in Dawn, shake with some alcohol and dry them in the sun or over a heat source. Then I reload and shoot until they are dirty again. I don't use much case lube (I shoot mostly neck-sized plinking loads) and wipe my rounds down before I shoot them.

When they get to the point of needing trimming, I finish with polishing step with a dry green scouring pad--that's the only time my cases shine.

Does it affect performance to reload dull cases? Or just an aesthetic choice?
    Why ask that question when you already know the answer?

I too just run mine in walnut media for 30 min after sizing, no additives. Before sizing I use the SS media so the walnut is just getting the lube off. Works great!

For a case lube like that, just roll the finished rounds around in a terry towel, done.
    FWIW, also not a fan of wet tumbling. To do it right, you have the extra step of decapping, then sroting the pins out, drying time, not for 1000s of rounds of handgun brass, not me. That is 1000 extra handle pulls for vanity sake.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol