RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load Data

Thread: Rossi 92 Safety

Boolit Master

Rossi 92 Safety

Somewhere I saw a replacement for the lawyer safety that is on the bolt of the Rossi 92 rifles, but can't recall where. Anyone here have information as to who makes/sells them?

Thanks, D

Do a google search for Steve's guns. He is a Rossi 92 guru and sells a blank out for it.

Boolit Master

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Denver View Post
    Thanks, I'll check it out.
    They take about a minute to change with a 1/16" punch. Save the parts if you ever want to sell it but be careful not to loose the spring or ball bearing in the safety. Here it is a Gunz http://store.stevesgunz.com/index.ph...&products_id=4
    Joe

Boolit Master

Any tips on replacing the safety lever with the spring & ball? Looks to be a PITA trying to keep the ball in place while putting it all back together.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes tap the pin out from the right direction and it goes fine. The pin is knurled on one end.

Quote Originally Posted by Denver View Post

Any tips on replacing the safety lever with the spring & ball?
    Looks to be a PITA trying to keep the ball in place while putting it all back together.

The replacement plug is installed w/o the spring & ball detent - it's just pinned in place using the issue pin. Open the bolt to expose the pin (in the locking lug recess), w/o need to disassemble the bolt/etc.

I dug out the painted "S" & "F" from the bolt stamping of mine with some laq thinner & the tip of an awl. (the paint can always be replaced if the safety's re-installed)

If/when the safety's to be replaced, the spring/ball is held in it's recess with the tip of a small jewelers screwdriver while the safety body's slipped into the bolt prior to pinning it in place - a piece of cake.

FWIW, I made my own safety replacement plug in less than 30mins, from a scrounge box Remington crossbolt safety button, an electric hand drill & a file.

Last edited by pietro; 11-03-2013 at 01:04 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

I removed the safety and replaced it with Steve's peep sight and it made a world of difference for these older eyes. I also replaced the front sight with one from Steve that has the red fiber optic insert and could not find a better combination for a wood's rifle. If you have problems trying to focus iron sights, you might want to look into this combination of front and rear sights.

Boolit Master

Thanks all for your help. I fiddled around long enough and was finally able to put the safety back in my 357. I think I'll try to make a plug for my 45C.