Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who here likes Blue Heeler Dogs?

Very good dogs. Mine, Spud is his name, has proved to be better at deer and elk hunting than Salty Dog the Border Collie. One thing I haven't seen mentioned though is "blue dog farts". EVERY one of the blue heelers I have ever been around is a world class farter. They can sure clear a crowded room in a hurry. JW

Boolit Master
    Don't mind a bit, Gray Wolf. A great piece of the real Americana!
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

not a breed better. Have been pals with heelers since my first pal. He was a protector of kids and they could do anything they wanted to him but a adult couldn't as much as get out of the car. You will get used to having eyes on you all the time.
    man who pees uphill gets feet wet with experience

Boolit Master

I have always been fond of German Shepherds till I got a Queensland/German shorthair mix. She worked hard and never got tired. Had more personality than a lot of people, smarter than me and THE most trainable dog ever. She was well behaved/obedient even in my absence. Wasn't a people dog except for her own family. She set the bar so high for another to follow her, I haven't been too anxious to get another and had to put her down bout 10 years ago. Yeah, great dogs. A healer named Skidboot is an internet sensation.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

My wife and I have had three heelers . All of which have been great dogs, I miss the two that have gone and the one that is left holds a very special place in my heart. They are great protectors and even better friends.

Boolit Master

Mine was a heeler/rott mix and was a great dog. He liked to dig and make himself little burrows to lay in. I always brought him in on really cold night but he would hang out a while and wanted out before long. I let my nephew stay with me a while and I came home one day and found this big kind of ugly dog tied to my house. After a bit

nephew moved on and asked me to keep the dog (Fatboy) till he settled in. A few weeks pass he says uncle I can take Fatboy now I laughed and said No You Can't. So he still jokes about me "stealing" his dog but I claim

abandonment. I guess point being the pure bred healers make a great pet slash working dog but I think even the dogs that are half healer make a darn good dog. Mine had the a lot of the rott size except that little skinny head but most of his personalty was heeler. I sure miss him. FB
    Last edited by Firebricker; 10-29-2013 at 04:23 PM. Reason: spacing

Boolit Master

Like most Dogs,many more than their owners. A Dog will never lie to you.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Bub
    HAve a heeler-border collie mix. She will wear your arm out throwing her a Frisbee. She can hit about 28 miles an hour in the 400 feet of fence line down our property. Nothing she loves better than to race an car that drives down the road. Great dog!

Boolit Master

10-x, That is true most of the time but I'm pretty sure my dog fibbed about not eating the last piece of deer jerky sitting on the trucks arm rest. LOL

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Firebricker View Post
    10-x, That is true most of the time but I'm pretty sure my dog fibbed about not eating the last piece of deer jerky sitting on the trucks arm rest. LOL
    Yup, had mine lie about why one of my work gloves kept coming up missing!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Buddy
    They are very intelligent and although you can find other breeds that are as smart as heelers, I doubt you can find any with as much personality. They are very protective of what is theirs including their family, house and vehicles. I don't feel the need to lock a vehicle in town with the heeler sitting in it. They have more lives than cats with the incidents they can be involved in and survive. A heeler always comes with interesting stories to tell. They can be the most stubborn dog you ever met too. They are pretty much maintenance free as far as grooming goes. They learn as they go and can rarely be fooled more than once. With the personality they have you pretty much forget they are even dogs. We have had almost 13 memorable years with ours and hope to have as many as more as possible.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2618.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	145.7 KB 
ID:	85802

Got a Blue Heeler Jack *** Russel mix slepping next to me right now. I can not so anywhere without him, and yes he does have a little gas from time to time! Had Blues and or Reds for 20 some yrs very good dogs in deed! One yr I kept track of miles on horse back for a riding contest I had almost 300 miles and a Blue and a Red beside all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Weddle View Post
    This story shows how smart they can be. We were visiting on a friends porch and her son was throwing sticks for my dog Gila to bring back to him. Then he threw a 2x4 eight feet long out on the grass. Gila balanced it in his mouth and carried it back, but got frustrated when it wouldn't fit up the stairs. So in no time Gila grabs it by the end and brings it up the stairs to the son.
    I put a tennis ball on the end of a lead rope and he would lead a horse that way.
    I think Gila taught us more then we taught him.

A couple of years ago I saw a coyote come to drink at a pond. I was on a elk hunt watching with my rifle. Something strange about this coyote and I looked at him close in the binoculars. It was near the ranch that Gila came from. This coyote had some of the same features , color, and ears, but the build profile of a coyote. I let him go.
    Bill, I was on "workups" one spring, just getting the mules legged up for bear season and had a young coyote bitch present herself quite well to my old Border Collie. It was comical to watch as he "knew what to do" but kept looking at me to see if he should or not. I laughed so hard. Probably should have shot her but I just couldn't. He didn't either, but had a frustrated look for a couple days. JW

Perma-Banned

Here is our blue heeler/bird dog mix Click image for larger version. 

Name:	601195_102630243259427_43082526_n.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	85814

The oldest dog ever was a heeler named Bluey. Lived 29 years, 6 months and 12 days. Unverified record but that's the story.

There most of been some job that dog felt was unfinished.

Boolit Master

My daughter got one from a pound and tried to make a house dog out of it. Bad move. The dog then went to my sister who lives way out in the country. The dog thrives on sleeping outside year round and has 200 acres to 'patrol' and protect. The deer do not eat her shrubs any more, and the ground hogs have moved to the next farm over.

Boolit Master

Well guys, your Dogs knew you did'nt want the jerkey to fall on the ground when the door opened and you most likely needed a new pair of gloves......LOL.Our Grey runs about 40 mph still, been retired almost 3 years.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Have a heeler-border collie mix. Smartest dog I have ever had the pleasure to have. He thinks he is human. And is smarter than a lot of humans I do know. Very quick, and fast. He can run sideways faster than most dogs can run forward.

I also have one. Great dog, very smart, very protective. Makes a great burger alarm. Mine is a big wuss when push comes to shove against our 4 pound cat. Like others have mentioned, they need something to do. My teenage stepson has lost interest in the dog and now he follows my wife around at her heels driving her nuts. He also has a bad skunk chasing habit. 5 sprayings deep now.
    Visit my page at www.echoarms.com for casting, reloading, and firearms accessories as well as FFL services in Southern California.

Like my Facebook page: Echo Arms

Boolit Grand Master

Not bad but poodles are more tender. Coyote is so tough you can't ecven chew it.