Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best hardness for 45-70 boolits in original Trapdoor??

Big and Soft....

MMMM....
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Grand Master

I have been using 20-1 virgin alloy for awhile now with very good results in 45-70 and 45-90 both paper patched and grease grooves. Recovered 3 of the 500 grn PP last spring from a wet sand back stop. Bullets were mushroomed to just over an 1" in dia at widest points and only 3/8" thick ( started around 1 3/8" long. Bullet was curled around shank very nicely and retained wieght of 480 grns. I use emmerts improved lube or SPG and get little to no leading over 2f black powder. Tested 40-1 with PP and havent recovered any yet but seem to shoot as good or slightly better. I started with Buffalo arms swaged 500 grns PP bullets with good results but never recovered any of them.

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by oldfart1956 View Post
    John while you're waiting for delivery of the trapdoor try going to page 10 (currently) and read Larry Gibsons excellent writings on his loads and techniques. Appropriatley titled My Trapdoor Loads, Techniques and Equipment. I badgered him mercilessly for some time and thought enough of his writing to print it up and keep it in my reloading data binder. I'd love to see it as a sticky if we could encourage the Moderators as such. This particular work is only concerning smokeless loads and is a treasure-trove of information. My loads went from 6 inches and tumbling at 25yds. to 5 shot groups at 100yds. (limit of my eyesight) of 1 1/2 inches with 3 out of 5 touching. At present my particular load is 12.5gr. of Unique, no wads no fillers, under a modified Lee 330gr. mold lapped out to .462+ and Felix lube. I did deviate on his recommendation of softer lead and went with straight wheel-weights or Lyman #2 as I have it in abundance and had problems with leading with softer lead. I get minor leading at the throat...and Larry explains why in his writings. Well wporth your time to read it...Larry knows stuff and explains it well. Audie...the Oldfart..
    Thanks very much!!

Boolit Grand Master

Credit for my success goes to Spence Wolf, may he rest in peace.

Larry Gibson