WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: New 45 Colt

Boolit Bub

New 45 Colt

Just got new Taylor 45 SAA in 5 1/2" worked over by Long Hunter.
    His work is fantastic and the shoots great. So far the first 100 rounds loaded with 5gr Trail Boss behind a locally cast 255gr SWC have shoot a consistent 3" group at 25 yds. However they are about 6" high and a couple to the left. I figured a lighter/faster bullet will bring it down some, but I'd like some thoughts on this.

Perma-Banned

well it sure should, give it a go and report back..

Boolit Bub
    Took the wheelgun out tonight for some fun.
    It groups well. Increased my load from 5.0gr to 5.4gr Trailboss.
    Still hitting high and to the left. I will eventually try a lighter bullet to bring it down, but I'm concerned about the shooting left.

Any advice? Is it me or am i going to have a problem with the fixed sights?

Vendor Sponsor

Do you dry fire the gun? A single action has a long heavy hammer fall but when you dry fire it, take a mental image, a snapshot of what the front sight does at the exact moment the hammer falls. If it don't stay motionless, then work on your trigger finger until you can dry fire it without them moving. That is an easy way to tell 1.) if it's you or the gun, and 2.) improve your groups!

Boolit Buddy
    If you're right handed, slow, heavy loads will tend to shoot left, just like they tend to shoot higher than lighter, faster loads. At least that has been my experience with big bore revolvers.

Boolit Bub
    Yes, years ago I realized the time of the bullet in the barrel during recoil (muzzle rise) will cause the slower chunk of lead to impact higher.
    Never did like the "to the left" thing though.

More powder (and speed) did not work enough, so I will be going to a lighter bullet (225 grain)

I like the idea of dry firing to test my trigger finger. Also, I forgot how long the lock time is on a single action.

btw, has anyone here had any luck bending the front sight?

I would keep trying different loads and powders before bending the sight. Unique, Titegroup, Red Dot. If no luck I would rather you send it back and have him adjust it - if he had one slip by, I bet he would want to make it right for you.

Another tip might be to call him and ask what his proof load was and or buy a box of cowboy ammo and see how that shoots too.
    Last edited by pmer; 10-28-2013 at 08:17 AM.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Vendor Sponsor

Don't try and bend that sight! Those are silver soldered on and it will snap off in a New York instant! Sometimes you can turn the barrel a tad to correct windage, and yes a lighter faster boolit will have less "dwell time" in the barrel so it will strike at a lower point. On the other hand if you have loads that you like and are accurate, I'd send it back and get a taller front sight installed.

If the trigger break is stiff, when it breaks and the hammer starts to fall, usually it's the overtravel in the trigger that lets the trigger finger upset the sights and a right handed shooter will tend to pull it to the left. With the Rugers, a lot of shooters opt for a reduced power trigger return spring, which lightens the pull against the trigger and makes the break easier, it makes it a LOT easier to maintain the sights motionless throughout dry fire. Generally, this will improve the groups and the point of impact on the target.

Pull the hammer back and hold it, now pull the trigger, how stiff is it to pull? I have owned and shot a lot of single actions, a lot of old Colts, a lot of Rugers, but the one common denominator in how accurate those are, is that it is a combination of factors that come into play. Barrel diameter, cylinder throat diameter, boolit size, forcing cone, how tight and how well timed they are, how hard the trigger break is, even the shooter's grip! Miss one thing in this combination, it upsets the rest of the puzzle. All it takes is one undesirable piece and it will make you fight the living daylights out of it to get it to shoot.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 10-28-2013 at 10:22 AM.

Boolit Bub
    OK, the sight will NOT be bent!

As far as the trigger pull, Long Hunter did a fine job, light and crisp, even installed Lee's "Gun Slinger Springs"

The forcing cone was cut and the barrel squared. Cylinder throat diameters are within .001" checking both North-South and East-West.
    Haven't slugged the bore yet. The gun will shoot 3" offhand at 15 paces, just a might off center.

Have only shot the 255gr with Trailboss, so it's about as slow as it can be. Will be getting some 225gr and bump them up a bit.

DougGuy "even the shooter's grip! Miss one thing in this combination, it upsets the rest of the puzzle"

This is what might need some work next trip out.
    Last edited by Old44; 10-30-2013 at 08:00 PM. Reason: added information