WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load Data

Thread: one mold 3 rifles?

Boolit Mold

one mold 3 rifles?

Is it possible to find one mold that can do the following?
    Mosin Nagant 91/30 .314 bore 1in 9 1/2 twist gas check fired as cast.
    Enfield no4 .311 bore 1in10 twist gas check sized as necessary.
    Remington 700 .308 bore 1in 12 twist gas check sized as necessary in case of zombie attack.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away

Use at .314 in the 91/30 and No.4 - throat diameter is what is important, NOT barrel groove diameter.

Size .310-.311" for the Remington 700 depending on how sloppy your chamber is and how worn the throat. You must cast the chamber or upset a throat slug to determine proper sizing diameter. There is no way around this. Barrel groove diameter is absolutely meaningless for this purpose!

Boolit Mold
    I can chamber cast all 3 but where do I measure the throat? Picture or drawing is best here as words have meaning but only to those using them.

Boolit Master
    You can find a mold that can be used for all three, but it won't necessarily work well for all three.

Boolit Master

Lyman 314299 Its their 200gr Round Nose offering. Scaled up to cast .314 diameter and it can be sized down to meet all three rifles.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Quote Originally Posted by musty nugget View Post
    I can chamber cast all 3 but where do I measure the throat? Picture or drawing is best here as words have meaning but only to those using them.

diagram of chamber area

casting of case in relation to throat and bore.

http://www.mountainmolds.com/helpRifle.htm
    Example of measuring throat length from casting

example of NO/Short throat chambering
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

Good info, and good advice! The beauty of an oversized bullet, is the capacity to size it down!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Banned

the 314299 would maybe do it.
    that 304 diameter nose might be pretty hard to jam into a 300 bore though.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for all the input, isn't the internet great, all this info! Seems to me that the mosin nagant will like the 314299 since it was originally designed to shoot a 212gr. boolit and the long nose will probably reach out to the throat shot as cast. I can't begin to touch the rifling with a .311 174gr sierra match king. If nothing else it will be a fun experiment. The enfield bore and throat are pristine so the same 314299 sized and gas checked through a .313 or .314 sizing die should do quite well, since it shoots .311 sierra match kings to 1moa if I do my part.
    Now as for the .308, I would think runfiverun is right on the money. Unless there is some magic die out there that will size the nose to .300 and the driving bands to .310-.311 I would need a chasing hammer to close the bolt.

Boolit Mold
    This seemed too easy for you guys, let's make it more difficult. Let's say I want to hunt deer with this boolit. Research here tells me a flatnose is more desirable and let's say I prefer to tumble lube. Is there anything you can think of that will fill this bill and still meet my needs as above?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by musty nugget View Post
    This seemed too easy for you guys, let's make it more difficult. Let's say I want to hunt deer with this boolit. Research here tells me a flatnose is more desirable and let's say I prefer to tumble lube. Is there anything you can think of that will fill this bill and still meet my needs as above?
    Yup, but 3 different lee molds that are 20 bucks each.

Mosin 312-185-1R

Enfield 312-155-2R

Rem 309-150-FN

These three will run 60 bucks, the same as one 314299 and will closely fit each rifle.

Good answer!
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Banned

Thanks! LOL

Boolit Grand Master

I coat my 314299 with the Hi-Tek coating and this allows me to size it down to .309" from 3145" with no distortion of the driving bands or lube grooves (which aren't needed with HT). The boolit grows in length. This is one feature of HT that hasn't been posted much about that I find is very useful. If the bore riding section is too large in diameter I think a member here made nose sizing dies.
    338RemUltraMag's suggestion is very good also. I have found the Lee 180 and 200grs 30 cal. boolits along with the 312-155 to be very accurate.

Banned

you can get a nose sizing die to change the diameter and you can re-shape the noses meplat too.
    i'd be more inclined to get a different mold for each rifle, heck i'd probably look at a custom mold for the 308 and go with a LEE or something for the 31 cal's.

Boolit Master
    You could also try Tom at Accurate and see about a 4 cavity mould combining two each 314299 and 311299 clones with the flat nose he cuts. You would get a quality mould at a fair price.
    Last edited by stocker; 10-27-2013 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Too many 9's.