MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners

Thread: Melting down old lead shot?

Boolit Man

Melting down old lead shot?

I ran into a fellow at the gun shop yesterday offering to get rid of some old lead shot. He just wants to get rid of it for a small price. Is older lead shot usually pure lead or does it usually contain a little bit of antimony? Anything I should know about casting with it?

Boolit Master

Lead shot is usually not pure. If it is called "chilled" it will have some other metals for hardness. If it is called "Magnum" it will be harder yet. It will have more value to a shotgun reloader as shot though.

Boolit Master
    Depends on "small price". I am starting to think/know nothing for the rest of my life will be cheaper. Gtek

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Lead shot is usually not pure. If it is called "chilled" it will have some other metals for hardness. If it is called "Magnum" it will be harder yet. It will have more value to a shotgun reloader as shot though.
    If it does say either "chilled" or "magnum" how hard is that in relation to 92-6-2? Will it cast nicely?

Boolit Master
    At the right price, grab it unless you have another source for lead or alloy that is cheaper. You can melt a little and test the BHN. It may be just right as is for many cast bullet applications- hard to say? If nothing else it can be used to harden pure lead in the future.

Super Moderator

If it is Magnum shot, it will likely contain some arsenic for hardness. Many guys will mix a little magnum shot into their alloy to increase hardness. I'm not sure what result you will get using pure shot. I'm sure others will chime in.

Banned

From BPI web site

" Magnum & Chilled Lead Shot
    Lead shot is classified by its antimony alloy content as either chilled or magnum. Antimony is the metal used to harden lead. Antimony is a brittle flaky, crystalline metal with a density of 6.7 grams/cc. Lead, when alloyed with antimony, becomes a harder pellet. As more antimony is added, the overall density of the pellet is slightly reduced.
    Chilled Lead Shot is softer and slightly denser than Magnum lead shot. It is better for short-range applications. Many shooters, like Don Zutz, prefer the increased density of chilled lead for hunting loads. Chilled lead shot usually contains about 2-3% antimony.
    Magnum Lead Shot is harder and slightly less dense than Chilled lead shot. Harder shot is more prone to retain its spherical shape during the firing sequence. Some shooters prefer Magnum's hardness advantage because it will likely pattern more predictably than softer shot. Magnum lead shot usually contains about 4-6% antimony."

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Mag...t/products/68/

I don't understand why people think it is so valuable as is. For around $2.00 a pound or less delivered, you are getting a great base alloy. Add 2% tin and you are good to go. Cheaper than buying "bullet alloy"

Boolit Buddy

Depending upon the size shot there could be a long line to buy it from you. Sizes #7.5 to #9 is what the trap, skeet and sporting clays people used in their reloads. For upland birds #7.5 to #5 is used. Larger size shot is used where rifles aren't used for deer, most in North East USA and maybe deep south. Duck and goose hunters have been forced to non-toxic shot only and so large lead shot isn't useful except maybe in self-defense loads. So if it is larger than #6 I'd say melt it down since shipping lead shot cost more than you'd gain by selling it out of state. IMHO.
    In 2020 congress finally forced the VA to provide Agent Orange coverage to Blue Water Navy Vietnam veterans. RIP shipmates that never received proper care.

Banned

get it melt it add some tin and make boolits with it.
    shoot them.
    or throw it in with some ww's and some soft lead and add some tin and make some boolits.
    shoot them.
    cheap lead is cheap lead get what you can and use it.