MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lead from range bullets?

Boolit Bub

Lead from range bullets?

Looking for sources of cheap lead, I contacted my local firing range and asked if they would give/sell the fired bullets to me. They said the would at a cost of $.50 a pound. Is that a good price? What percent yield have you experienced from lead gained in this way? What BHN on average can I expect? Thanks.

.50 isn't bad considering your alternatives.
    you'll have dirt, jackets, and a few other things to consider in the yield but 80% wouldn't be too far off.
    your bhn will probably be in the 8-10 area [depending on what's really in the mix] and you'll probably want to add a bit of tin.
    The mind has exactly the same power as the hands: not merely to grasp the world, but to change it. - Colin Wilson...

Boolit Buddy
    since im shooting 300 rounds or more a week now
    my range mining has been increasingly my boolits
    so ive been able to back off the WW in the alloy
    but now they brought in some fresh sand on the berm and mining is all done for the year
    if it wasnt for range lead i wouldnt be shooting near as much!

Boolit Grand Master
    50 cents a pound isn't great but it isn't bad either.

Expect 12 to 14 BHn. I get 75 to 80 percent yield, mine is from an outdoor range.

Sometimes ya gotta do whatcha gotta do.

Boolit Buddy
    It is a PIA to mine. 50 cents is not a bad deal at all. You can buy ingots for $1 so it is according to what your time is worth.

Boolit Master

Do you have to dig it yourself? If they dig it for you It doesn't sound too terrible. Don't throw away the jacket material after you clean the lead (AKA smelting), sort it with a magnet to remove the steel and re-cycle the copper jackets. scrap yards will pay you for it in a lot of places. Members here might buy it if you can't sell to scrappers. Sometimes they are unduly picky about what they will take, they ARE scrappers for goodness sake.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uaskme View Post
    It is a PIA to mine. 50 cents is not a bad deal at all. You can buy ingots for $1 so it is according to what your time is worth.
    Maybe. I can gather enough in about 1hr to give me a final yield of 120#

I use range lead straight for pistol mostly, and I cut it with pure for some apps in rifle and some pistol.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    Do you have to dig it yourself?
    My source is an indoor range. I just tell then how much I want and when they clean out the traps, they set that amount aside for me. Unfortunately, the closest outdoor range to me is about an hours drive away.

Boolit Master

Watch out for live rounds!
    Always start with a cold pot and a cover!
    Been there done that!

Cast Hunter

From picking up range lead at several different outdoor ranges when I lived in GA, I found I got a fairly consistent 8-9 BHN. It cast and shot very well in low velocity pistol loads.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Banned
    Do an ebay sort of 'buy it now' and 'lowest price ' and you should be able to get clean ingots on your doorstep for $1.50 a pound. I assume that to be soft and add mined cast to up the hardness and do pretty good to 1300.

Boolit Bub
    If I had no other source for casting material, 50 cents a pound is good. You can make quite a few bullets from a pound. Figure 124 grains for a 9mm bullet. 7000 grains in a pound. About 56 bullets per pound if it is all lead. 80% yield would leave you at 45 bullets. Barely a penny a bullet. Good deal. Only thing better would be free.

Seems like a decent price to me.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks you all for the great feedback. Since the ATM spits out money in $20 increments, I went ahead and ordered 40 lbs Also, since I have never casted a bullet in my life, I went ahead and ordered an ingot of Lyman #2 from Rotometals. That way when I am getting poor results, I know it is me and not a poor batch of lead. My plan is once I am good at pouring bullets for my 7mm rem mag using the Lyman #2, I will move on to recycling the range bullets to feed my 38 special.

Boolit Buddy

I have mined range bullets from an outdoor range at various times for casting RB's. A few years back I came across a LARGE quantity of soft lead and don't use range bullets anymore.
    Now that I'm starting to cast for my centerfire pistols I maygo back and mine some more.

Boolit Mold
    I have only smelted range scrap once but as runfiveslittlegirl and btroj stated the yeild was about 75 percent. So out of my 30 pounds 22-23 pounds lead and 7-8 pounds copper.

One thing to keep in mind is the cost you can recover in the copper. The scrap metal recycler in my area offered a dollar a pound for the copper jackets. So find out what you can get for copper jackets in your area and factor that into the per pound price of lead.
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."-Douglas Adams

Moderator Emeritus

indoor range lead should be a deal at 50¢
    should be Lead, copper, and steel.
    use a magnet for the steel after it's smelted,
    get the copper as clean as possible, a scrapper will usually pay #2 price.
    I've sold copper jackets for 90¢ per lb after smelting some range lead.
    good Luck,
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Bub
    I can regularly find lead in the classified sections for around $1 per pound already smelted and in ingot form. I wouldn't pay 50c a pound for scrap that I have to deal with(until I get desperate).

Boolit Buddy

look up jetsfan-24. He sells range lead $1 lb shipped.

Boolit Buddy
    Eastern Boulder Cnty,CO. Can be found shooting at GMSC. Erie
    If you are mining from an outdoor range; pick-up only cast boolits! This way you can end up with 12-14 BHN lead. I mined my clubs pistol berm and got over 20 pounds of 14BHN which I changed into 17-18 with antimony rich ingots from RTOMTLS and some little tin. try doing this after a rain storm.
    Last edited by armexman; 10-20-2013 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Spelling