WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Malcolm Ballistic Tool (MBT) long range rifle

Love Life
    I challenge you to a duel, Btroj.

Boolit Grand Master
    Uh oh. My wife always said I need a suppressor for my mouth.

Boolit Grand Master

Bring the freakin popcorn. I've got a game to watch.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Grand Master
    Tim, I may just put myself on injured reserve now rather than wait.........

Boolit Grand Master

Brad, I thought better of you. (just between us, I wouldn't shoot against Dick either LOL!)

OK, the shop was a revolving door tonight, but I ended up in front of the lathe again. The moment of truth had arrived. I ran a drill bit in the barrel and started the chambering process.
    Now, let me just say that I fully realize that there are guys out there that ream 30 target rifles a day, and most of them shoot cloverleafs at 100 yards. I'm not one of those guys....yet. I take my good sweet time, and I don't get in a hurry. I need to know that it's right, so just bear with me while I do my thing OK? thanks.
    Next, I took my sharp little bitty boring bar, and slipped it in the chamber till I heard it touch the mock shoulder. I fed outward .005 and fed the tool out of the hole. I repeated this process till I was hearing a good, smooth cut all the way out. Then I checked the runout. The needle was fluttering at .0005 TIR. Pretty good.
    Then it was time to ream.
    I checked the reamer for sharpness. Once again, PTG reminded me of why I love them! Man those reamers cut smooth!
    Anyway, I mounted the reamer in my self designed truely floating reamer holder, and soaked it with dark cutting oil.
    Attachment 84453
    My reamer holder is so flexible that I have to guide it into the barrel by hand. Any pressure on the reamer creates an instant effect, and it is allowed to drift effortlessly wherever it wants to go. So far, it's the next best thing to a pull through.
    Attachment 84532

I continued working it into the barrel 1/16" at a time. Once I got within 1/2" of full depth, I started checking that the chamber is cutting correctly by indicating TIR on the reamer, and also observing how much I can wiggle the reamer in the chamber when it's fully seated. Throughout this chambering, the reamer had less than .0002 TIR and less than .0005 lateral and vertical play when pressure was applied to the shank.

I stopped reaming .015 short of the headspace, and removed the barrel from the lathe. I mounted it in the barrel vice, and used a toothbrush to apply valve grinding compound to the threads on the tenin and the action. I used Q tips to carefully remove all traces of lapping compound from the action face, and the thread shoulder on the barrel. I lapped in the threads with the action in the action wrench, until it would stop suddenly and repeatably. Then I lapped a little more by hand.
    Attachment 84454
    The next part is to cut the extractor cut in the tenon, then cut the barrel off, cut and grind in the crown, then polish the tool marks out. The new bolt handle also needs some attention.
    Details, details, God is in the details.
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 10-17-2013 at 07:02 AM.

Boolit Master

What caliber are you chambering the barrel for? What action is being used?
    "In GOD We Trust"

First post says .243 on FN SPR A5m
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    Love Life,
    It is getting close!! I have been reading along since the start! And it is looking AWESOME!! Good Steel is doing you right!! Keep us up to date on it, I can't wait to see how it shoot's!! I hunted with a Ruger #1B in 243 W
    that was a real tack driver for a un touched out of the box rifle. I can't tell you how many boxes of Serria 85gr BTHP's that I shot threw it, it really like the 85gr bullet and IMR 3031. It has been to long ago because I can't remember how many grains of 3031 Sad Thing was I thought I knew as much about reloading as anyone For the last 2 years I have been reading any and everything I can about ADVANCE reloading
    I have found that you have to filter threw a lot of stuff, but even a dumb old hick like me can re learn new things!!!
    G

Love Life
    Did you put the chamber in the end closest to the buttstock...

It's looking great!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Did you put the chamber in the end closest to the buttstock...

It's looking great!!!
    Wait......that's the skinny end right?....no, my other left.....darn it, you got me all turned around! LOL!

I didn't get as far as I wanted to tonight. I had a feller come over to learn how to cast boolits. I realize I don't know everything about this hobby, but the advantage of teaching rank newbs is that I am quite confident that they will forget most of what I say, and they will come here to improve, at which point the heavy hitters can set them straight. LOL!
    My favorite part of teaching someone is when they say "that's easy!!!" at which point, I smile and say "and it's cheap too!!!" I know I shouldn't tell bold faced lies like that, but you gotta rope 'em in some way right? Ignorance is bliss....

ANYWAY, back to the project at hand....
    I cut the extractor slot tonight.
    First I set it up in my barrel vice and seated the action to the barrel with the wrench. A little tighter than I will actually seat it, but I have learned to give myself some room to wiggle in case the threads crush a little. The clamps were loosened, and the rifle was twisted until it was dead level, then the clamps were tightened again, and the barrel was marked to the blocks to assure myself that it didn't spin when I broke the action threads loose.
    Then the vice was turned 90 degrees, and the bottom edge was indicated in parelel to the table.
    I cut the extractor slot with a 1/4" carbide endmill, to the same depth as the original barrel.
    Attachment 84515

Layout blue was applied. (I swear, I'd be lost without that stuff!)
    Attachment 84516

The action was spun onto the threads, and checked for alignment. This shot was taken through the action, to observe how the cut lines up with the bolt races.
    Attachment 84517

Next, the bolt was inserted and closed several times, and then the action was unscrewed and the blue was observed for interference. The only place that touched was the bolt lug, and it is only .004 away from the barrel, so I'm not surprised it touched a little.
    Attachment 84518

Next, I carefully filed and stoned all the sharp edges, and then used the dremel with the woven abrasive tip to "melt" all the edges.
    Attachment 84519

Next I went back to the stones and removed all the machining marks.
    Attachment 84520

I'm pleased. I'm also convinced that the brass/bullets will not be scratched up by the edges of the chamber, but also has plenty of support.
    Attachment 84521

Next step is to cut the barrel to length and grind the crown in there, but I'm going to buff out all the little dings on the spinner before that happens, because that's the last time anything is going to touch that crown except a bullet.
    After that, we'll modify the bolt, and get the reinforced swivel stud in the stock.

So far, so good.

Boolit Grand Master
    Tim, it is nice to see what work done by a true professional looks like.

I sure hope Dick is up to shooting a rifle that nice.

Love Life
    If I'm not I'll lie about it and say I am.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would expect nothing less?

Are you picking the rifle up or Tim going to "send it"?

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    I would expect nothing less?

Are you picking the rifle up or Tim going to "send it"?

He is going to have to "Send it"

And what is this thing?--->

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge

All of a sudden, there seems to a lot of LRP Talk in this thread,,,,,sending this,,,,,sending that,,,,,

Tim, thanks very much for including the pictures in most everything you post, it's a real treat, we know time is money.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

It say "give a boot" when you roll your cursor across it
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Love Life
    It'll be odd at the range when I ask random shooters if they'll stand behind me and say "Send it" before I fire. If I'm at the range alone then I guess I'm screwed as nobody will be there to say it. Maybe I can call somebody and they can say "Send it" over the phone.

Boolit Grand Master
    Ah, the iPad doesn't have a curser. That may explain my lack of understanding, Steve Jobs never did have a sense of humor.

Hamish is right, those photos tell such a story. Keep them coming Tim.

Banned

definitely keep e'm coming this is like better than hot-rod T.V.

so Richard you are gonna use those high speed low drag bullets in this rifle...... right?

1:7.5 twist must want to shoot missiles out of it - those VLD Berger's are nice but pricey
    je suis charlie