Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finish sporterizing a spanish mauser

Boolit Bub

Finish sporterizing a spanish mauser

I have in my possession a 1916 spanish mauser (actually a 93, IIRC?), with the .308 conversion. The handguard, barrel bands, and front and rear sights have been removed. And by removed, I mean the sleeve for the rear sight was taken off. Lots of solder there.

So what are are my options to "finish" this rifle? I'm thinking of some better quality iron sights, if I can find something to match the heights. suggestions?

Any tricks for removing the old solder?

This might make a fun plinker, I wish I could find replacement barrel bands and handguard wood, it would at least look military again.

Boolit Buddy
    Going backwards isnt easy! I did a Swede Mauser for a friend. It took three rifles to make it right. He had a McMillian sporter and wanted a Millitary rifle that shot as well for match use. He bought a military rifle that had all the proper stock and trim. But its barrel looked like sewer pipe! So then he bought another rifle that had a cracked reciver but a good barrel. Then he bought a third rifle that had the micrometer sights he wanted. For putting it together he gave me the left over parts. Heres what I made from them.

Boolit Master
    now thats recycling at its best! Awsome!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Buddy

Looks like some real nice leftovers
    --ISO ITEMS--
    Contender super 16 barrels

updated as of April 2023

My feedback: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ight=Carbine86

Boolit Bub
    Really nice!

I've been watching some stocks and barrels on ebay for the spanish mausers, but they are going for more than I'm willing to pay. I think I'll just drill and tap for some new iron sights, shorten the barrel a bit, and put a ebony or other dark wood fore end on the stock, with a new buttplate yet to be determined. Sling slot in stock to be filled in with some wood (haven't decided contrasting or not), or maybe even a brass piece, and a normal sling setup. I'd consider a scope, but it'd have to be very high mounts considering the bent bolt handle. I thought about getting the barrel contoured on the CNC lathe at work, but then the barrel channel would look kinda ugly.
    It'll be a "lets see how it looks as we go along" project now.

Boolit Buddy
    The stock Im using is a Ramline that came with the McMillian. Boyds also makes a couple of stocks for the small ring mausers. The bolt on this one took the most time. It was cut and welded on twice before I was happy. Building a Sporter is not cheap, you will be in it about what a savage axis would have cost. But no one has one quite like mine. I used a Dayton trigger, and it now has a low mounted 6x scope. I painted it with Krylon camo paint. Its a great coyote getter! I just bought a Spanish 7mm Mauser for one of my sons. Its going to get the same treatment. His will need a new barrel. Someone before me cut it to 18". I think Ill stick with 7mm, and a Boyds stock. Good luck DR

Boolit Bub
    OK....the military stock I was watching went for just over $250. That's just...

I guess I'm off to order sight bases and the rear sight. I can't figure out front sight height because I can't find specs for the bases' heights.

Boolit Master
    Boyd's sell their Prairie Hunter sporter stock for the Model 93, military (stepped) barrel for $69.

Boolit Master
    My very first "customizing" job, as a 15 year old, 45 years ago, was on a $15 M1916 Spanish Mauser. Cherry fore end tip, and a cherry diamond inlay to cover the sling stud hole in the butt. My grandfather turned the steps out of the barrel, leaving a nice slim featherweight job. A Bushnell scope was mounted, and off I went to conquer the world. Trouble was, after all that it was the most wildly inaccurate rifle I ever owned (probably due to nutzing up the barrel), so away it went. (Truth be told it wasn't a tack driver before I started on it.) I wouldn't mind having it back now for sentimental reasons. That began, and ended, my love affair with old Spanish Mausers!

Boolit Bub
    After seeing pics of short barreled bolt actions on ar15.com, I'm kind of tempted to scope this rifle. I bought iron sights for it (and lost a screw already ), but now I'm tempted to buy a bolt from brownells and weaver scope bases, if I can figure out which ones fit this small ring mauser.

I also don't want to pay $25 for brownells 4 oz of 3.5% nickel welding rod. Anyone have any good alternatives?

Boolit Master

Rcav8r,

The "ugly" steps in military barrels do have a function. An old gunsmith explained to me that the steps dampen resonance that a straight tapered barrel would have. I don't care for the looks of them either but have heard more anecdotal stories about recountoured military barrels shooting poorly than better. Actually, I can't recall ever hearing that one shot better after recontouring. No doubt someone here has.

Sporterizing is expensive. Go with a figured stock and medium priced barrel like a Shilen and you can be in the $800-900 range easily. Mauser actions have more than doubled in price since I built my first one.

OTOH, I couldn't buy an off the shelf rifle that shoots as well for what I have in one. I true the action, lap the lugs, square the bolt face and pillar and glass bed the action on a build. Not a lot in materials for all of that but lots of labor.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Quote Originally Posted by rcav8r View Post

I have in my possession a 1916 spanish mauser (actually a 93, IIRC?), with the .308 conversion.

So what are are my options to "finish" this rifle?

This might make a fun plinker

Sorry, I wouldn't recommend putting anything into that rifle (work OR money), since the firing ANY .308 Winchester ammo in that rifle will definitely pose a problem, sooner or later.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

In Remebrance

Agree with Pietro. Get a 7x57 barrel and live happily ever after.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    Sorry, I wouldn't recommend putting anything into that rifle (work OR money), since the firing ANY .308 Winchester ammo in that rifle will definitely pose a problem, sooner or later.
    Here is a good read about these spanish rifles and how strong (or how weak they are.
    http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...shinquisition/

With that info out of the way, you should check the bolt face.

I own two 1916 conversions to 762nato.
    Yes I would avoid Hot/commercial 308win ammo, but I think most of these rifles will handle the occasional firing of hot ammo. With that said, my custom Mauser building friend inspected my two rifles and found that both the bolt bodies had very large primer holes...and they both had peening around those holes, probably by some arsenal worker, to 'close the gap' so to speak. He was very concerned about the bolt bodies and he had me replace them with some surplus german bolt bodies he had on hand.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Ran across this thread looking for something else.

My wife shot a couple of deer using my Scout rifle, which once was an FR-8, and expressed interest in having one of here own. So I found one of these 1916's real cheap and went to work. I used the original military stock, an M-1 carbine front sight, a Williams receiver sight, an XS Systems Scout scope mount and finished off with a good ol' home Parkerizing. I won't go into great detail with pics but here's a few shots of before, during and after.

Somewhere during the process I slugged the bore and to my amazement it restricted down to .305" about half way between the chamber and the crown! Long story short, lots of fire-lapping later, the barrel's now fine. The rifle shot amazingly well:

100 yd. targets.

May be this will give other some ideas.

35W
    Last edited by 35 Whelen; 06-08-2014 at 01:53 AM.
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Now you got me thinking. Have a fairly nice 1937 marked VZ24 action and two barrels. One is off a persian 8mm carbine and has a cherry bore and the other if off a 1909 Argentine carbine also with a cherry bore. And have a bubba'd 98 mauser stock that should clean up well. Frank

Boolit Master
    The first "Custom" rifle I ever built was on a M96....Used a real SS knife handle for the bolt, turned my own muzzle break, converted to cock on opening, drilled and tapped for scope, made my own scope blocks, replaced trigger with Dayton Traister, milled bolt for swing safety.......All work done on a small Smithy 3-1 machine.

http://public.fotki.com/Rbertalotto/...wedish_mauser/
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Quote Originally Posted by rbertalotto View Post
    The first "Custom" rifle I ever built was on a M96....Used a real SS knife handle for the bolt, turned my own muzzle break, converted to cock on opening, drilled and tapped for scope, made my own scope blocks, replaced trigger with Dayton Traister, milled bolt for swing safety.......All work done on a small Smithy 3-1 machine.

http://public.fotki.com/Rbertalotto/...wedish_mauser/
    Very nice job!
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    nice gun, this is refreshing as I have a 95 I rebarreled all over my work bench right now!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    That 96 I built, using the factory, 100+ year old barrel is also a tack driver! I've shot many under 1" groups for 5 shots off the bench at 100yds.

The 6.5 X 55 is one heck of a great cartridge...........I also have a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in the 6.5 X 55....Also a VERY accurate rifle!
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com