RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: 24-47 Mauser and cast

Boolit Buddy

24-47 Mauser and cast

I recently got a 24-47 from a private party. It will chamber very tapered jacketed military type bullets but won't work with any cast boolit. I have several moulds. I get rifling marks at approx. 3/16" from the case mouth and a jammed, stuck boolit left in the barrel. I am thinking of getting a throat reamer from Brownells to correct this issue. My cast work fine in two other mausers. I tried .325 and .323.

Any ideas?

Jeff

JRR,

From what I've read on the web, Yugos have shorter neck chambering then other military Mausers.

http://mauserloader.wordpress.com/20...er-experiment/

Perhaps other members might second this,
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Boolit Master
    I have a 24/47 that I bought in the cosmoline. Cleaned it up and it shoots the 190 grn Saeco bore rider VERY accurately. These are fine rifles, but need to be loaded differently than other Mausers. The chamber neck is loose and the leade / throat is short. If you can, try a bore rider before reaming - you may be happily surprised with the results. Those barrels are really high quality.

Boolit Buddy
    I have two different 24-47 rifles. One was a purchase from Samco and it does great with my BRP 200gr., bore rider sil. . The one that is giving me fits was purchased from Big 5 about ten years ago; probably from Century Arms. I also tried the Lee 8mm sized both .323" and .325". Again, stuck in the bore, crammed into the rifling. A Turkish 155gr. military round with a bullet that starts it's taper immediately after the case mouth will chamber properly.
    Jeff

Boolit Grand Master

seat the bullet deeper
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

I believe there are members here that can make a custom sizer for you at a reasonable price. Perhaps a nose sizer or taper die.

Boolit Master
    Ohio- Painesville and Cleveland and Port Clinton.
    With any gun, I seat deep enough so that I'm just short of the start of the lands. Some guns this means I seat quite deeply indeed; others I can seat so that the bullet is just held in the neck but never does touch the lands.

I agree. Seat deeper. Make up a dummy round, chamber it slowly, if you hit resistance seat deeper. Repeat until it chambers freely.

If you want to ream the throat, by all means do, but why do so until you know it won't shoot 'as issued'?

Super Moderator

.............I have this VZ24-47 I bought 5-6 years ago for $100 even. It has a very good looking strong barrel. Upon getting it home and cleaned up I slugged the barrel and the result was rather disconcerting. It has a .314" bore, a .327" groove and a .329" throat!! Howsomever, thank God for the Lee C-329-210-R mould!

It's actually quite a nice rifle and shoots those slugs well.

I think the stock is Elm.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot the lyman 160 grainer of lovell design and it works well in my 2 24/47 rifles

I just started loading for mine, first rounds. They chamber fine in a Samco Yugo24/47. 205 Lee Bullet sized to 323. Hope to find out how it shoots this weekend.

Boolit Buddy
    My 24/47 chambers the Yugo 50's 200 gr ball surplus ammo just fine. The nose profile is full 0.323 diameter at least 0.200" past the case mouth on that ammo so the chamber must have adequate throat length on mine. I have an Accurate 32-175B mold on order that should be here today or tomorrow so hopefully I can report on boolit fitment from that mold soon. I came up with the design myself and it should accomodate just about any throat profile since it's a bore rider and seating depth is adjustable since it doesn't have a crimp groove.

Boolit Buddy
    I finally figured out the problem! There was a tiny piece of black plastic melted into the throat. It looked like a small finger nail clipping. I think it was from somebody's plastic bore guide. All is well now.

Boolit Buddy
    Hope this works.

24/47 shooting at 50 yards with slightly modified rear sight. I filed the V notch into a square which allows more light around the sight picture.

Last edited by JRR; 11-07-2013 at 04:52 PM. Reason: mistake

Quote Originally Posted by JRR View Post
    Hope this works.

24/47 shooting at 50 yards with slightly modified rear sight. I filed the V notch into a square which allows more light around the sight picture.
    JRR,

What Mold/Bullet did you use?

Thanks.-
    "Skill is acquired not alone through practice but through the combination of study and experience" - P. Sharpe

Boolit Buddy
    Argentino,
    I used the BRP 325 silhouette mould. 200 gr.

I don't believe anyone is making this design at this time. BRP is out of business. Perhaps someplace like NOE could produce it.

Jeff

Boolit Master
    Your boolits look a lot like my Saeco #081 at 196 grns. Shoot about the same as well. The Saeco has a step at the front driving band down to the bore riding nose. Gas check and a single lube groove as well. They (the Saeco's) do tend to break apart at the step if cast to hard and used for hunting though. Shoot good though.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by JRR View Post
    I used the BRP 325 silhouette mould. 200 gr. I don't believe anyone is making this design at this time.
    BRP produced it as the 8mm Silhouette. Currently, I am running it as a MiHec produced mold here:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hree-cavity-HP

Jeff, thank you very much for your response.
    Best regards.
    "Skill is acquired not alone through practice but through the combination of study and experience" - P. Sharpe