Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pop off?

Boolit Master

Pop off?

Ok. So before you bust my chops, I clean all of my 22LR brass in SS media, water, soap, and lemi shine. This batch I tumbled OVERNIGHT!

I was derimming my brass when I heard a crack, and glass began to fall all around me. When the dust settled I found this one still in my derim die. It fired a derimmed case up into my fluorescent light, and broke the tube. I'm glad I was wearing a hat, no safety glasses, so nothing fell in my eye. My wife was in the shop with me so needless to say she was concerned. I've done this to more than ten thousand before and never had a problem.

So, I guess, BE CAREFULE!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379973564.571089.jpg 
Views:	444 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	82600
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

In Remembrance

I leave the rims on mine. Don't expect to ever have this issue.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Buddy
    I apologize for laughing. Glad you weren't hurt. It does make for a good story. I once shot a primer into my knuckle. Yours was a freak accident, mine was from stupidity. I bet that Walnut Hill never budged.

Boolit Buddy

The last large lot of brass I got from a Boy Scout range had 2 of those in about 8,000 cases. Luckily my press was not directly under the light.
    Did not find the base of either case, but it did leave a couple small dents in the drywall.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy".
    Ben Franklin

Boolit Master

I have done it about a dozen times. never has done any damage to anything but my sphincter :-X

Vendor Sponsor

Yep! I have had a couple (3 or 4 total out of many thousands) spent 22lr cases with left over primmer residue apparently left over in them that went pop! These even had a firing pin strike in them. Mine didn't pop threw the bottom or even leave the die though. No harm or danger at all in my case but it does get your attention.

In another story I had a fluorescent light fall to the cement floor after I some how bumped it. Talk about a MESS! I now longer use tube lights in the shop, it was a glass bomb! Of course not enough to hurt anyone but certainly a mess to clean up.

That is quite an event for you. To have everything align the way it did to pop a case and it line up with the overhead light to shower glass all over........... you certainly have a good story to tell. I doubt everything will line up in such a fashion for you ever again.

Good shooting and swage on!

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Vendor Sponsor

I get it now. The popped primer pneumatically shot the jacket ahead of it out of the die. Yep quite the event.

Eye protection and Swage on!

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Master

I was just surprised the primer compound made it through the tumble. Surprising yo say the least.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DukeInMaine View Post
    I leave the rims on mine. Don't expect to ever have this issue.
    Mind elaborating on this? Maybe I'm am missing something, but you kinda have to de rim your 22's in order to make jackets out of them.......

Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    dude, glad nothing happened to you! that must have been quite a surprise

Will adult diapers be worn while de-rimming now to avoid the ruining of a good pair of underwear? Glad you're okay.
    I pity the baker,
    I pity the nun

I pity the one
    Who tries to take my gun

Boolit Buddy
    Mabey your on to something, new ejection system for De Rimming 22 LR, I taught you well Grasshopper!
    Inequality is to try to make Unequal things Equal Aristotle

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    Blaster? LOL, taught him well!!!

Boolit Master

I think I will buy those plastice tubes to encase the florescent tubes just in case.

gmsharps

I'm guessing that case had never been fired, and all the priming compound was still in the rim to do that? Was it range brass? Maybe someone pulled the slug and threw it on the ground at the range. That could be an issue using range brass. Also, since I've been using an ultrasonic cleaner, I haven't had any problem with unburned priming compound. By the way; flourescent lights have mercury in them. You don't want to breath the dust when you're cleaning up the mess.
    Never in history has there been a situation so bad that the government couldn't make it worse.
    A foolish faith in authority is the enemy of the truth.

Perma-Banned

I think this would require a change of underwear at the least.

Boolit Grand Master

Not just underware, they wouldn't hold the outfall from such an experience.
    I found a live primed case in the pot of range lead I was smelting, even though I had tumbled it in a cement mixer, dried, and inspected.
    That kind of experience will give you real pucker power.

Moderator Emeritus

slightly off topic

Busted florescent tubes.

When I use to work in a metal shop. we would punch round holes into sheet metal using a greenlee hydraulic punch and die setup for some custom "one of a kind" jobs that weren't run through the CNC puncher. I was a supervisor at the time and our company would hire temps when we were busy. I was training a temp in to punch some holes, He got one of the dies turned around when I wasn't looking and then tried to punch a hole, the pressure busted the die, it sounded like a shotgun, the Greenlee tool was pointed straight up, part of the busted die hit a florescent light fixture and busted 2 light tubes...Glass and white powder all over me and the temp. I wonder if that's gonna shorten my life any ?
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 09-25-2013 at 12:36 PM. Reason: typo
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Over the past week, I've had this happen 3 times. I've been running the 22's through 30 min of ultrasonic cleaning in water/citric acid/dishsoap, and then dry in the oven at 225 deg.. I figured that would kill any leftovers, but apparently not! Definitely a pucker, duck and cover moment.

The first was a kinda soft pop, then I smelled it. The last must have been a full primer as it rang my ears for some time. Scattered de-rimmed brass around. Now I stick a rag in the reservoir to contain any fliers..

Needless to say, I've been watching for hammer impressions!!
    "Unnh, Negative. I am a meat popsicle."

Chuck

Well I guess even a good ultrasonic cleaning won't get the priming compound out if the case hasn't been fired. Glad I'm not using range brass. JonB, I doubt if one time would shorten your life any, but if you breathed that dust in alot; I'd get a little worried.
    Never in history has there been a situation so bad that the government couldn't make it worse.
    A foolish faith in authority is the enemy of the truth.