Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Two weeks with Ms. Dillon

Boolit Master

Two weeks with Ms. Dillon

Got a Dillon SDB from a friend a couple weeks ago. He upgraded to a 650 a few years back, and this one was collecting dust, so we made a deal.

Ms. Dillon as I call her has given me quite an education in two weeks.

She demands your undivided attention, she is unforgiving of any lapses, has a healthy appetite for small shiny things (cases, primers, and boolits) but once you learn her quirks, she's capable of making a pile of ammo in a hurry.

This is my first progressive press, and my first Dillon, and now I see why everyone speaks so highly of them. What an ammo factory!

In two weeks I've made almost 2K rounds of 9mm, 40, 45 ACP, and 38 Special, and man what a machine!

In short, I can say I am now hooked on Dillons. They are worth every penny.

Boolit Master

Some addictions are good. Congrats and welcome to the world of blue presses.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Bad thing about progressives is you find yourself having to pay for more primers, powders and bullets. What a tragedy.

Boolit Master
    Dilly you do have a point! but I do love my 650. I have to round it out with small primer assembly, more die plates, more dies, and all the etc's that one absolutely must have.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Bub
    learned on a 550 with an aftermarket case feed, over 20 yrs ago. now have a sdb and a 550 of my own. if only smart enough to make the case feeder for each one...

ADMIN

If you are only doing pistol the sdb is the machine.
    I own three sdb and a 550
    i do have two 550's setup but one is my brothers.

i can load 300 a hour on the sdb but it is unforgiving if you lose your place.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

I have had one since the mid 80s and although I have never used a 550 I find it hard to believe the SDB could be anything but faster than the 550. I don't understand the way Dillon markets it as slower.

Vendor Sponsor

I have two, one setup up for .40 S&W and the other set up for .45 ACP. They were too good a deal to pass up, and they both work very well.

I also have a 550 B.

I consider Dillon Equipment to be the best designed equipment on the market. The precision, the longevity, and the rebuildability are second to none.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Dillon SDB

It's a heck of a press for pistol cases - but won't use my regular dies

Dillon 550B
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0__OViMcaA

Dillon XL650
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oPVfUea70s
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

I've had a 550 for 20 years and love it. Last week a new SDB rolled in. No probably, because I'm so familiar with my 550, the SDB's learning curve was absolutely straight up for a couple of days BUT. Once I had it ironed out it absolutely just performs.

Because of the PITA of cartridge conversion, I can see why guys have 4-5 of these presses now, never understood that before. Also my 550 mounts on the edge of my bench and the SDB's powder return rod bracket and spent primer catcher almost *requires* a Dillon strong mount to get it off the bench which I just ordered.

Like I said once the learning curve straightens out it is a production machine and works VERY well. Maybe I had such problems getting it setup and put together because Dillon no longer supplies a DVD (it was VHS when I got my 550.....) video on how to setup, they want an extra $19.95 for that and Friday night when I dumped 100 primers all over my shop floor and dang near took a sledgehammer to it I was wishing I had spent the extra $20 for the video...............

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Have two my self a 45 & 9mm with a 38/357 head and dies. Its a great machine design and does just what it claims. And we all know about the factory service at DILLON.

Boolit Master
    i have 2 650's...bought the first ran off 250 45acp's.

went the next day and bought a second 650 to do 40acp's!

now my wife is contemplating a 9mm........................hmmmm!? ....a 3rd 650?

Boolit Master

The Dillon SDB is the bees knees if the user pays attention to whats happening. It is my preferred machine for pistol but I don't switch out calibers as it is a PITA. Multiple presses cover the different pistol cartridges I load.

BTW, The great factory service is covered in the premium paid up front. It is not really free.

I do own and use Dillon equipment along with other brands and I agree that they manufacture good equipment but they are not the halleluja of reloading equipment. Nobody is. All progressive reloading setups require proper care and feeding to perform well and the SDB is no exception.

IMHO too many people with insufficient mechanical skills blame their equipment for their failures that are actually their own fault due to the fact that they are mechanically inept. I have my flame suit on and don't mind the heat. Popcorn popping in the kitchen...

Boolit Master

I only load 223's and soon 7.62x39 on my 650. Pistol calibers on my SDB and I agree it's great. I have found them to be the smoothest action presses I have ever used.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

i love my 550
    i like that it does NOT have auto indexing. less problems IMO
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Buddy
    And here I thought someone got a date with one of those gals from the catalog. The prices aren't printed, and if you have to ask...

Had a 550 for 20 years now. Pistol and rifle - think I am up to 20 tool heads. Don't have enough room for another press and don't shoot enough to mind. Very good presses and I'll recommend them every chance I get.