WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Range scrap question

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.

Range scrap question

On any trip to the public ranges when I'm there early & there are no other shooters I take some time to hand collect range scrap ( a little bit every week or so really adds up) Since this is stuff that is hand picked off the berms I don't have any rocks or junk in it (& no live rounds as is always warned about). It averages out to be about 75 % jacketed and about 25% cast pistol slugs. I started to sort out the cast slugs since I know most of the folks that shoot there buy commercial cast boolits. This way I sort of know what's in that mass…… but the question I have for the other 75% of jacketed stuff …Is there anything bad, metal wise, I should look for in this stuff? I have some bullets that look to have a blue (plastic) coating on them ( not the usual green of copper being oxidized) & There isn't anybody manufacturing any weird or bad metals that will mess up a smelt of this range scrap is there?
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

I have only done about 150lbs over my casting career, but have not found any bad metals that mess up the melt.

What I would watch for though, is adding range scrap to your melt. If there is even small amounts of water trapped in the bullets, it can 'spurt' when a bullet is submerged under the lead melt. It might be safer to do a batch at a time, and not add more bullets after you get going.

I have also found that some bullets that are deformed, can actually spray a stream of metal out of tiny fractures in the the copper jacket when the lead goes from a solid, to a liquid state. This is particularly problematic in total metal jackets. If you use a torch to aid in melting the bullets, like I do, from time to time you'll heat up what you think is a total metal jacket and it will in fact be a sintered bullet which can burst when really hot.

Although it is time consuming, I try to crush each bullet that is not already opened (the jacket is broken exposing the lead) or that the base is very dirty/oxidized so that the lead melts out fast. That eliminates a lot of these concerns and shakes out a little of the dirt packed in there.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Buddy
    Understand I am very new to this. I have only done a couple hundred pounds of range scrap I have picked from the burms as well. Total metal jackets are a pain. I wouldn't pick them up from the burm if it was quick and easy to see what they were when I was picking them up. I heat my range scrap to a higher temp than I do my wheel weights. It seems to help the ones with alot of oxidation on the base to flow out. I also use a fryer scoop I bought at WM to dip and shake the jackets to get the lead out. I think a higher sided pot works better as well. It makes it easier to shake the lead out of the jackets with the scoop.
    If you say you can't, you probably won't.

Boolit Buddy
    My recommendation is to put the range scrap on top of a cold pot and then heat it. This will evaporate any water before the scrap submerges and avoid the sudden explosion of steam. Other than that - stir and scoop out the debris. What is left nehind should be good lead.

Boolit Mold
    I am an avid collector of range scrap.
    I tend to separate the bullets in three groups:
    FMJs= usually the core is made of swaged soft pure lead, and those will end in my muzzleloading enterprise
    Bare lead= there may be some pure lead from ML, nearly 100% is "hard" lead, I keep them for the "ordinary" bullets.
    Plated= A real PITA because to make a good work you need to crush the plating with pliers before melting them. But, when I have time enough, I do it. They end up mixed with bare lead.
    Since I work in an University where we have an engineering department, occasionally I take some ingots for brinnell testing.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    On any trip to the public ranges when I'm there early & there are no other shooters I take some time to hand collect range scrap ...
    I do the same thing.

To answer your question, nothing bad in recovered J-words.

of all the range scrap I pick, I don't get enough to take the time to separate. I just smelt it all together along with other mystery alloys I have saved up, and use it for plinking loads for revolver. But keeping the cast pistol bullets (which is probably hardcast) separate is probably a good thing for casting for high pressure loads in 9mm Luger or 40 S&W...I just never get enough of those from where I shoot...I think most of the cast I pick up came from my gun.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I've been collecting range lead for for just a few months now but have melted about 200lbs and have about 300 more to go. I do a quick sift at the range and dump the ore in buckets, after sitting in the dry garage for a week or two i resift them. It's amazing how much dirt falls off the second time around! Thats when I take the time looking for DUDs and ****, FMJs I use a pair of cheap fence pliers to give them a sqeeze, the pointed jaws punch nice holes in the jackets. A lid on the pot helps keep the heat in ( haven't tried a torch on top yet). And last but not least I haven't found anything that messes up my alloy.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Ohio's BEST CCW resource: http://ohioccwforums.org/
    I get about 75% yield with my range lead by weight. I do not separate the jacketed, plated or cast, 22s, shotgun slugs, etc. and melt in one homogenous mass. That gets me about 8'ish BHN lead that water quenches to roughly 10-12 bhn. Use plenty of heat and flux it heavily.
    The slugs with the blue polymer jackets are probably powder coated bullets. It's going to melt off when smelted.
    Due to market fluctuations I am no longer buying range scrap jackets.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

Boolit Master
    Guilty! You may find red,white,blue,green,black, or orange polymer jackets in the berms I shoot in.