RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BP load needed for 50 caliber inline

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O

BP load needed for 50 caliber inline

Does anyone have a cheap target shooting or plinking load using BP?

Rifling twist is 1 in 24"
    Barrel length is 24"

Anyone using Round ball and patch?

Thanks
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

I have shot 0.490 patched round balls in a 1:24 inline. It did ok at 50 yards with about 50 grains(by volume) of 777. I haven't tried it at longer range or with more or less powder. I seem to recall it doing about 2 inches at that range.

Bill

Boolit Grand Master
    You just got to try an see what it likes. That's a fairly quick twist, so I would suspect a light conical to do a little better for plinking. A heavier conical should be the cats meow. 70 grs. FFg.

Your piece is designed to shoot sabots, not round ball.

If you want to shoot round ball, buy a real muzzle loader.

and if your using more than 55 grains, your wasting powder
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master

Since my new rifle is not real. Does anyone have a hand cannon I can try?

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Fred View Post
    Your piece is designed to shoot sabots, not round ball.

If you want to shoot round ball, buy a real muzzle loader.

and if your using more than 55 grains, your wasting powder

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Buddy
    Go with a PRB and 30 grains of black. I use FFFg and it shoots fine from an old T/C White Mountain Carbine for reduced loads. If you up powder charge up too much you will start stripping the patch in the fast twist.
    It accurate enough to plink with and let my kids shoot with negligible recoil.

Boolit Master
    I have shot a .490 rb from a few inline fast twist 1:24 and 1:28 they do fairly well, I have 4H kids show up with them that thier dad or grandpa won in a raffle , I use real black 3fg , a patch to get a good fit , snug , if you shoot 50-70 of them in a day your hand will be sore from whacking the short starter to get them in.

30-60 gr depending on what your doing start at 30 and work up 5 gr at a time till you like what you see on the target at 25 then move back to 50 and try keep working your way out you may find yourself right about 50-60 at 100 yards . if your hunting start about 50 and work up till accuracy falls off then back off to just before you lost it

I shoot a patched round ball with 50 grains of black ffg or pyrodex as a practice load and have done so with 3 different inline MZs with fast rifling twists. Rem 700ML and 2 different TC break actions have all liked the load and responded well to my efforts to match patch thickness to the bore/ball combination.

You may need to experiment with vatious patch thicknesses/lube to get the best fit but read up on roundball shooting then when you do shoot, retrieve your patches from out on the ground in front of your gun. They will tell you what is happening, and how to fix it if necessary.

You can practice at modest range for sure, think 50-75 yards with 1 gallon mik jugs, and get some confidence. Watch out for the second shot. My experience is that most of the time a wet swab followed by a dry one is required between shots. My guns have all had a tendancy to shred the second patch if the fouling was left in there.

Hope this helps and good shootin'!

Perm-Banned
    its hard to tell what your looking for? plinking at and under 50 yards or deer hunting at 100 to 150 yards. you have a lot of responses for 50 yards or under. now i will address what your gun is all about.it is a sabot gun and the twist is a little fast for me. i prefer 250 grain .451 pistol bullets for sabots. my only sabot gun is my young sons and it is a 1/32 twist which makes it perfect for the 250 grain bullet. your gun will also shoot about a 600 grain paper patch bullet very well. diam about .492 available from buffalo arms on the internet. if you go the paperpatch route get .50 wads ,fiber or felt to shoot between powder and bullets. use about 100 grains of real black and you can take anything in north america.now for the sabot. go to the mmp sabot website and get the .50 cal heavy duty .50 sabot as theirs is reasonable and very well made. do not use less than a 400 grain bullet in your sabot in your 1/24 twist gun. this will give you your best accuracy and preformance. you want the diam of the bullet to be .451 or .452. when you bought a 1/24 twist .50 you bought a real big game rifle and to make it preform you have to shoot what it is made for. use about 100 grains of powder behind the sabot. if your gun is 209 primer ignition go with blackhorn 209 powder but if it isnt use real black 2f for best accracy. you have a real gun and it is no toy. johnson 1942

your rifle may be a sabot rifle but I have one with the same twist and a 28 inch barrel and it shoots my paperpatch 380 grain boolits well. mine has a counter bored barrel in the muzzle and the patched boolits go down very well ... they will shoot very nice groups and have plenty umff. I threw rocks at these for years but now it is as it does ... and it does well with anything I feed it. including round balls. I load 50 grains behind a patched round ball with a .060 over powder vegi wad. it shoots well at 25 to 35 yards. they shoot lite and very accurate and are fun fun fun.

Boolit Master

Guys thanks so much for all the good info

Just so you know its a Savage 10ML
    I found a place that had 4 NIB and couldn't resist.

I don't want to pay over $1.00 or more per shot just for plinking at paper.

Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

try some harvester sabots and some castboolits .430 44mag no lube or G/C
    they work great and they are cheep
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Banned

I use an old Rapine mold - 250gr hollow based conical with 41 gr 777 shoots pretty good >4" @100yard.
    Only thing wrong is the lack of a large lube groove, that is one deep hollow base!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	09182013188.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	82100Click image for larger version. 

Name:	09182013190.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	82101

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post
    Guys thanks so much for all the good info

Just so you know its a Savage 10ML
    I found a place that had 4 NIB and couldn't resist.

I don't want to pay over $1.00 or more per shot just for plinking at paper.
    Hi DCP,

I bought a not a real gun too for hunting. I tried a plinking load but it just didnt work out. for the record, mine is a Handi inline with a 1 in 26" twist:

I couldnt make 50 cal REAL's shoot.I havent tried PRB but I wont bother. I'd probably need 30 grains down the barrel to make it shoot, and I bet it still would be no good past 25 yards.

It DOES shoot lights out, but requires sabot conicals driven at warp ridiculous. 300 grain bullet (Lee .452-300 to be exact) at 2000 fps. takes 120 grains of powder.

-----------

But I don't pay $1.00 to shoot it. since the bullet is cast lead that is dirt cheap. I DO buy expensive sabots, I think they are 20 or 30 cents each. I get them from barnes because they are for a boattail and I want to cradle the GC bullet base with no GC on there. The powder is what it is, but fortunately its not a real gun so I can use whatever cheap powder I can find, I dont need to "waste" real black on it, I can save that for my flinter.

Not the best answer for you, but I want accuracy, even when I plink. Not as cheap to shoot as it might be, but it's OK, cause I can't take hundreds of "plinks" when I'm pouring 120 grains of 3F down the barrel anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post
    Since my new rifle is not real. Does anyone have a hand cannon I can try?
    lol

would this work ?.

Boolit Master

The Dixie Yeager flint lock is a fast twist barrel and won the manfactures match at Friendship with patched round balls one year. The secreat is very tight fitting patch ball combo.

Scullmount how did the small bore bullet gun work out.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Quote Originally Posted by DIRT Farmer View Post

Scullmount how did the small bore bullet gun work out.
    Have not shot it quite some time.

I had her far enough along and felt comfortable enough to carry it during last deer season here in Michigan......................

itching to get it back out, but work seems to get in the way !!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by JRD View Post
    Go with a PRB and 30 grains of black. I use FFFg and it shoots fine from an old T/C White Mountain Carbine for reduced loads. If you up powder charge up too much you will start stripping the patch in the fast twist.
    It accurate enough to plink with and let my kids shoot with negligible recoil.
    Just what is a PRB as opposed to an RB (round ball)?

Boolit Bub
    0.490 RB, 0.015 patch, 35 gr. Goex FFg, WIN T7 primer. Twist = 1:24. Barrel length 22". Shoots paper better than I can 25 yd offhand targets.

arizonaflinter ... glad you asked as I prolly have heard what the "P" stands for but just don't recall. PRB I think is "Poured Round Ball" a distinction needed to distinguish between the "Swaged" round ball's for sale from the likes of Hornaday and Speer.

so as far as I know it be such ...

PRB is a poured round ball
    SRB is a swaged round ball
    RB is a round ball

someone will either confirm this soon or else educate both of us as to the real designation.