Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox

Thread: In search of jackets

Boolit Man

In search of jackets

I am looking for a good hunting jacket, about 1mm thick or slightley thicker. The cal i want to make bullets for is 425 Westley Richards (.435) and the weight i want to land on is 375 gr. I was thinking that jackets for 350 gr .458 would work well but i canīt seem to find any for sale. So i am hoping for helpful ideas
    Regards
    Mathias

Boolit Master

have you c considered cutting off 30-06 cases? drawing and using those? its what I would do. Also you can check RCECO.com richard has some jackets not sure if he has what you need drop him an email he can be a big help also.

Boolit Master

Jackets made from most any .473 dia rifle cartridge might be an option. Here in the US popular ones are .30-,06 and .308 family. In Sweden the famous 6.5x55 would be a good, easy choice. They should be about .480 diameter.
    The spent cartridges would need cut to length, annealed, then run through a reducing die to bring the diameter to about .433.
    In the core seating operation dia should come up to .434.
    In point forming the diameter should come up to .435.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Man
    No i have not really consider using cartridge cases as serious hunting jackets i just asumed that they would expand to rapidly on game, but that might not be the case. People with experience please chare them
    I have eqipment for making jackets from copper tubing and have been using pistol jackets for training rounds so i have some stuff.

Banned

the jaxket does make a difference.
    but the anneal of the jaxket and the core material will certainly control expansion from none to all at once.
    something like the 10mm case would certainly make the weight you want.
    the 40 case will make a 315gr bullet for the 44 mag without issues, I have gone heavier [350 grs] but it exposes quite a bit of lead.

Get the real thing and make bullets that actually work. You can Mickey-Mouse with '06 cases for jackets and get half-assed bullets, but there is no substitute for guilding metal jackets. It sounds like you have a good quality rifle. Get J4s and don't look back.

Boolit Man
    I thought 30 cal was as big as J4 would make them ? Iīd love too buy the finished jackets and not have to mess around so much, its kinda fun but i donīt seem to have the time

Boolit Man
    Typically we are making larger than .375 bullets with rigid alloy tubing from Corbin in the .049 jacket thickness. We have used them on everything big and tough including Cape Buffalo and Elephant. I make 400 grain bullets for my 11.2 Schuller and have have had my friend at Star make them for my 600 Overkill and .505 Gibbs. It can be done if you have a press that will handle it.
    I would try the 06 jackets for practice bullets and maybe hunting lighter game if you use the soldered or hot-core or Corbins core bond to really help the lead stick tight.