RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: reloading the 22 Hornet - Shooting Times article

Boolit Buddy

reloading the 22 Hornet - Shooting Times article

This month's issue of Shooting Times (August 2013) has a really good article on reloading the Hornet. Allan Jones, who wrote the article worked/s for Speer. He says the best choice is pistol primers and makes some other recommendations. Good reading from a gentleman who's been there, done that!

I reload 22K Hornet with pistol primers for the last few years. My groups are smaller really like H110. Tried LIL Gun but haven,t found the sweet spot. I shoot this in a 14'' contender sorry to say this is the only gun I shoot J- bullets in.

Boolit Mold

Thanks gonna try to find one today somewhere.

Boolit Master
    I did a test with 2 Brno 465's and the small pistol primers were less accurate.

Boolit Master
    Very small case capacity and fast burning powders makes the Hornet sensitive to the smallest variation.
    Both my Hornets are primer sensitive, I use Federal small rifle primers as they have been the best so far. While I've not tried pistol primers I can see they could be the right way to go.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

SPP is all I use on 22Hornet. Works fine with 2400. Tried SMP and SRP; but so far, SPP has worked fine. I save the SRP for .223. I used to used them on 30Carb, till I found SPP worked well there (again with 2400).

Banned

My most accurate hornet loads came with 1680 and cci match small rifle primers.

Boolit Master

Another option is to use Remington 6 1/2 small rifle primers. They are a SR primer that has less priming compound in them and they are specifically made for small case capacity rounds like the hornet. It is basically a SR primer with the power of a SP primer. I like thse better becase I have a few guns that like to pierce primers and I want the heavier cup.

Neal in AZ

Boolit Master

My #3 Hornet loves WSP primers, 296 and Hornady 40gr VMax.
    I have extra WSPM so I loaded my 25-20s with them. Works great.
    Use SPPs only in low pressure cartridges...dale

Boolit Grand Master
    Just like everything else in reloading; it depends, and you have to test for yourself.

If I had to bet though, I would put my money on the SP primer being more consistent in the very small case capacity of a .22 Hornet.

Robert

Boolit Man

I had an Anschutz .22 Hornet that was causing fits with accuracy, plus the rare misfire. I went to Winchester small pistol primers based on an article that Rick Jamison wrote many years ago which helped with the misfires, but did nothing for accuracy. Another forum suggested going to Remington or CCI small pistol primers that were supposedly milder than the Winchester. That seemed to work the best for me. Ended up with Rem SPP, and either 2400, 680, or L'il Gun producing decent accuracy.

Boolit Bub
    Was this article available online? If so, could someone post a link? I google searched but didn't come up with a current one for 2013.

TIA!!