MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 300 Blackout cast boolit load thread

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jb326 View Post
    This looks like it is about my speed... And would work fine. Thanks!
    Well as you can see from the amount of brass dust around it, I've cut quite a few already.

Boolit Master

My Lancer mags work perfectly with no modification with 155, 230 and 245/247 loads.

Boolit Man
    Is there any issue with fowling the gas port in semi auto rifles with cast bullets.
    "Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Odinbreaker View Post
    Is there any issue with fowling the gas port in semi auto rifles with cast bullets.
    I haven't had issue one with leading yet, gas checked or plain based with LLA sized .309. I figure I've maybe hit 2000fps max. Shot thousands in two different AR's.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter7 View Post
    I haven't had issue one with leading yet, gas checked or plain based with LLA sized .309. I figure I've maybe hit 2000fps max. Shot thousands in two different AR's.
    What's your plain based load?

Boolit Master

I keep the plain based subsonic but should be ok to 1,400 or a little more, YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbopanda View Post
    What's your plain based load?
    My PB load is accurate 31-240e over 10.2grs little gun, decent crimp with FCD. Runs consistently at 1245fps. Prints 1-1.5ish at 100yds. Velocity is out of 10" barrel.

Boolit Bub
    What hardness for subsonic and for high velocity boolits?

Banned
    My PB load is accurate 31-240e over 10.2grs little gun, decent crimp with FCD. Runs consistently at 1245fps. Prints 1-1.5ish at 100yds. Velocity is out of 10" barrel.
    Nice, thanks.

Boolit Mold

Blackout boolits

I just started breaking in my Lee TL309-230 5R Blackout boolit. Fired up the pot the other morning before work and hope to get back to it and see what they will do.

L-R: Lee 180, Lee 230, NOE 247
    The Lee 180 1R needs a throat to chamber and the NOE is a bore rider. I run them from the Blackout and Tokarev's with 1:8 twist barrels and small charges of Lil'Gun. Hope to get some BO's loaded up and try out the new Lee soon......

Banned
    Also, how hard are your boolits? I can't seem to get a consistent answer regarding crimping; you say you get excellent accuracy with a "decent crimp", while others insist that crimping will deform cast boolits. I've read through numerous threads and the answers are always mixed.

Boolit Mold
    For my subsonic loads I run zero to very light crimp. On my 35 ARem I'm still experimenting with everything from zero to heavy crimp. On my Beowulf with 400gr FN and a stiff load of Lil Gun I run a hard crimp but not enough to deform the case mouth and affect headspace. The only consistent answer I have ever seen on crimping is "Do what it likes or needs." I would suggest the only wrong way to crimp was on a load that resulted in bullet movement before firing. Everything else will have an effect on consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbopanda View Post
    Also, how hard are your boolits? I can't seem to get a consistent answer regarding crimping; you say you get excellent accuracy with a "decent crimp", while others insist that crimping will deform cast boolits. I've read through numerous threads and the answers are always mixed.
    Ive run different alloys, mostly now 50/50 coww and range scrap water quenched tumble lubed, sized .309. I don't really treat subsonic 300blk like I do a rifle cartridge, more like a magnum handgun. I found the crazy ES numbers settled in with a crimp, I'd say its more crimp than warm 38spl and less than Ruger only 45 colt. I use the crimp groove, no bullet deformation. I'll also add, that the crimp took a load that wasn't at 100% function in an AR to full function with only change being crimp. Also tightened up groups by about 1/2. I'm convinced, I crimp everything now to some degree. No matter what, it'll all be in vein without proper fit, I got lucky that .309 works.

Boolit Bub
    My 230 grain Lee mold casts boolits that are 0.3095-0.0310 on the band below the lube grooves. But the band above the lube grooves is only 0.3085. Not sure if that is typical, or acceptable. Still learning....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaii five-0 View Post
    My 230 grain Lee mold casts boolits that are 0.3095-0.0310 on the band below the lube grooves. But the band above the lube grooves is only 0.3085. Not sure if that is typical, or acceptable. Still learning....
    I had the same problem and got rid of the mold for that reason.

Boolit Bub
    Is anyone running any flat nose boolits?
    Something like a 309x165 ranchdog?
    Will it feed from a mag?

Thanks

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by tdd4570 View Post
    Will it feed from a mag?

Thanks

Dave
    I've run a NOE clone of the 311-165RD. If seated to first drive band, they are short(1.9ish). You'll get about 3 through a mag and then the recoil will force them forward in the mag, 3 point jam into top of chamber, this will not clear with charging handle. You have to drop the mag, work charging handle and it drops through magwell. Bad times. They will feed if they stay in the mag
    correctly, I currently load them with bottom of boolit even with bottom of case neck(2.0"ish). This helps but still jams occasionally. Over 13.5grs lil gun, runs 1650fps(10" barrel), at 50yds I've gotten freehand cloverleafs. For hunting, loaded warmer and in a 16" barrel it'd be a good deer stomper, I'd most likely follow it up in the mag with something that feeds better.
    Last edited by Jupiter7; 09-05-2013 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Autocorrect....

Boolit Bub
    Thanks

So, the flat nose doesn't pose a problem. The short nose length poses a problem.

I'm thinking about a blackout upper as a dedicated hog rig with cast.

Thanks again.

Dave

Banned

Will it feed from a mag?
    Been using the NOE 311-165. It feeds pretty well but has other problems in my 300.

I like the MP 311410 in a solid point. The ogive just fits behind the mag rib and it works well.

I also shoot the NOE 311-247, it has issues with the mag. But I've found that the cheap TAPCO mags are very easy to mod to work.

One problem that need to be fixed for All cast boolits was the very sharp feed ramp sides in the barrel extension.
    They were so sharp they would cut into and jam a lead boolit. It literally would pinch it before it could ride up and into the chamber.

Boolit Master
    Will it feed from a mag?

Thanks

Dave
    That boolet feeds 100% in my AR Stoner barrel and Brownells' mags. I tumble lube and seat them so the base is just even with the bottom of the neck.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.