RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Easy camp food.

Boolit Master

Beef short ribs,
    brown them in dutch oven in oil, add salt and pepper, thin cut onion, ginger powder (and chopped fresh ginger and or chopped candied ginger , a dash of sugar, a cup and a half of water to deglaze, a few heavy dashes of soy sauce, some red hot and or red pepper flake. Lid it and let it braise in the liquid and cook til the beef is fall off the bone tender. This one can sit for hours over slow coals or in the crock pot in a fixed camp. This is another than is fantastic on lettuce wraps with rice.

This would be easy enough to make at home and bring with you, warm it up and serve with rice or egg noodles.

I made this up after messing up my mother's hawaiian short ribs.

Boolit Master

Look up how to make a spanish paella. This is good with whatever you killed or caught just like the spaniards did; rabbit, sausage, chicken or fowl, shrimp, fish, clams, mussels, fish. Mix and match what you like. I like mixing chicken thighs, shrimp, and italian sausage......the correct sausage is chorizo or the portogese version but I've done just fine with italian, polska kielbasa and even browned cubes of spam.

Anyways brown your meats in large skillet, shallower the better. Set aside brown meat if large stuff like chicken peices, Add in some olive oil, Add in diced onion saute it til translucent. Add in lots of chopped garlic and saute a bit, then add in a can of diced tomatos, stir it in to get up your fond bits (meat browned to the pan). Add in a cup or two of rice depending on how many you are serving. Stir it in evenly around the pan, add in 2x the amount of chicken broth or water with boulion cubes. (1 cup rice gets 2 cup liquid, etc., classically you add in saffron and smoked paprika) Arrange your fried chicken thighs/ rabbit pieces into the rice, some sliced red bell pepper, frozen peas, shrimp and clams if you got it and set the whole sucker on the grill or over slow coals. Turn THE PAN occasionally to prevent hot spots burning the rice on the bottom. You only stir in the rice and liquid at the beginning, after that you DO NOT STIR IT, Now here a bit of explanation is in order, a browned crust of rice on the bottom is actually desired and wanted, browned, not burned. The browned crust has it's own name, the soccorat if I spelled it right. This should take twenty minutes after you add the liquid. Don't lid it like you normally would with rice, just make sure your rice has liquid up to the top of the rice. After 20 minutes check it, I check the bottom with a fork to see if I got my brown crust, now is when you take it off the heat, lid it for 10 minutes of rest off the heat. Serve with lemon wedges, beer, wine, etc.

If you can't tell I like food.

Boolit Buddy

I been doing ground deer or small chunks of venison with hamburger helper, it just calls for a pound of meat and hamburger helper has a lot of variety.

Boolit Master

A can of cambells mushroom soup over fried venison steaks with some rice or noodles is good too and does a fair job of looking and tasting gourmet.

Boolit Buddy
    This is something we fix at the deer lease 'cause it's easy.

Cube two or three potatoes
    Chop an onion
    Cut a pound of summer sausage into bite size chunks

Pan fry the potatoes and onions and set aside

Fry the summer sausage. Drain and combine with the potatoes and onions.

Pour a can or two of your favorite beans into the mix and reheat. (I like Ranch Style beans, but my wife likes Pork & Beans)

Season with salt and pepper and enjoy.

You just can't go wrong with fried potatoes and onions!
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints!

Boolit Master

Lance Boyle on Spanish Paella

Excellent instructions even an engineer can follow. I've not heard such sensible instructions on the "crust of rice" on the bottom. Thanks for taking the time to detail this.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Charlie View Post
    Excellent instructions even an engineer can follow. I've not heard such sensible instructions on the "crust of rice" on the bottom. Thanks for taking the time to detail this.
    the brown, crispy 'burnt' rice on the bottom of the pan is 'gratin' in Cajun country. I still cook rice on top of the stove occasionally just to get that. My Japanese rice cooker cooks perfect rice, except no 'gratin'.

dale in Louisiana

Moderator Emeritus

If you have a weber grill at camp this was a standby for us at the lake camping. Day one cook as big of a turkey as will fit on the grill, day 2 use the bones to make a stock and any leftover meat goes into a gumbo, day 3 leftover gumbo(if there is any) gets mixed in with more rice and turned into a fried rice side dish for whatever fish we may have caught or for a steak or brat.

Breakfast we made a lot of Bisquick egg pie, like a pancake batter with extra eggs, bacon, lots of cheddar baked off in the weber or in a dutch oven on the fire. Recipe is on the box and their site.

Boolit Master
    If you've had a good fire going in a pit and you've got lots of coals you can mix up some baked beans. Put them in a dutch oven or turkey pan, wrap with wet burlap and cover with coals and seal with dirt over night and let them slow cook.
    Here's my recipe:
    4# dry beans, black and pinto
    2# bacon chopped
    2 lg red onions
    12 oz tomato paste
    2 c. brown sugar
    2 c. molasses
    1/4 c. black pepper
    6 tsp. salt
    8 cloves garlic
    1/2 c. mustard
    3/4 c. Kentucky Bourbon

1 Disposable Turkey pan will hold this recipe.

Soak dry beans 48 hrs. Chop onions and bacon and cook in large pot, covered, over medium heat till the onions turn translucent. Remove from heat. There will be a lot of moisture, this is good. Mix all other ingredients into this.
    This recipe was designed to be cooked in a pit (underground, wrapped in burlap) and that is the only way I've done it. It should stay underground at least 10-12 hrs, I like to leave it 18 my self. I also put it in the hottest part of the pit.
    No reason it can't be baked in an oven at 300 F overnight, 10-12 hrs.
    It's also easy to divide the amounts given above into fourths to make a smaller batch.

I like to take my discada camping cause it's like a dutch oven you just have to wipe it once it's seasoned.
    Cut up some taters however you like. Start them frying in a little oil. Add seasoning, salt, pepper, garlic, ???. Cut up some sausage links and toss them in. Stir occasionally till done.
    Got me to thinking-I may fry some bacon and cabbage next time out.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Master
    Really got me to thinking now. Something I like from the Middle East is Shakshuka, but only if it’s spicy enough to not taste like spaghetti sauce. This is good camp food. edit:Should have mentioned earlier that Shakshuka can be anything you want, you don't have to add meat at all, just omit it. Instead of fish you can use cut up sausage links, another favorite variation of mine. You could put a hamburger patty on there if you wanted.

Shakshuka
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    5 Anaheim chiles or 3 jalapeños, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
    1 small yellow onion, chopped
    8 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    1 tbsp. paprika, or to taste
    5-6 good sized fresh tomatoes cut up or 1 28-oz. can whole peeled tomatoes, undrained
    And whatever and how much of your favorite hot sauce to kick it up. I like Crazy Jerry’s Brain Damage, Ring of Fire, and Scotch Bonnet( I don’t know which one, it’s one my Dad keeps around)
    4-6 fillets of bass, crappie, catfish, walleye
    Kosher salt, to taste
    8 eggs
    1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese, optional for campfood
    1 tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley, optional
    Warm pita or tortilla, for serving

1. Heat oil in a 12" cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add chiles and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden brown, about 6 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, and paprika, and cook, stirring frequently, until garlic is soft, about 2 more minutes.
    2. Put tomatoes and their liquid into a medium bowl and crush with your hands. Add crushed tomatoes and their liquid to skillet along with 1/2 cup water, add the fish and your hot sauce, reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened slightly, about 25 minutes. Season with salt.
    3. Crack eggs over sauce so that eggs are evenly distributed across surface. Cook until the eggs are done to your liking. Cover if needed to get the eggs cooked to your liking. Sprinkle shakshuka with feta and parsley and serve with pita bread or tortillas. Serves 4-6.

Pita Bread
    This is not the hard junk from here in the states. Never tried to make this in camp but can be made ahead of time. I wish I could say I’ve mastered this to get the best sharp yeasty flavor but I haven’t.

3/4 c. hot water
    1 pkg. yeast
    1 tsp. sugar
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2 c. flour
    Dissolve yeast in water. Add other ingredients. Cover and let rise for 1
    hour. Knead 2 or 3 times. Make dough into small portions to be rolled
    into 5 inch rounds, 1/8 inch thick. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
    Bake until light brown at 500 degrees for 7 minutes.
    Last edited by 375RUGER; 08-25-2013 at 05:15 PM.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Buddy
    One cup Marconi noodles, one pound hamburger , can of tomato sauce, can of corn, cast iron skillet, salt, pepper . boil the noodles till soft in skillet , then drain and place on plate. Use same pan and fry up meat breaking it apart with spoon. pour in noodles , add tomato sauce and corn. Some salt and lots of pepper. Best served with 16 oz. beer as a side dish but other drinks will do. You will be stuffed and passing gas with the best of them next day.

Boolit Master

messed up quote of 375's Pita Bread
    This is not the hard junk from here in the states. Never tried to make this in camp but can be made ahead of time. I wish I could say I’ve mastered this to get the best sharp yeasty flavor but I haven’t.

3/4 c. hot water
    1 pkg. yeast
    1 tsp. sugar
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2 c. flour
    Dissolve yeast in water. Add other ingredients. Cover and let rise for 1
    hour. Knead 2 or 3 times. Make dough into small portions to be rolled
    into 5 inch rounds, 1/8 inch thick. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
    Bake until light brown at 500 degrees for 7 minutes.[/QUOTE]

375 that sounds pretty good, I've made pita bread from the recipe in "how to cook everything" D. Rosengarden. It's good if it's hot and like you said, they get dry like the store bought stuff. What is a little nice is indian naan bread which is pretty much like pita except they put a dollop of yogurt in as part of the wet mix. Just like oil, or milk in white bread, it keeps it softer. Also the naan is traditionally dipped in a pan of melted butter. You could dip an old shoe tongue in butter and still be good.

Nothing fancy here but well received in the dead of winter. Chop up an equal amount of potatoes and onions and add some salt and pepper. I use an electric skillet but have done it with a cast skillet also. Cover with water and let it simmer for an hour or so stirring it every so often. Add more water along the way if needed. Cook off the excess water and it'll almost be the consistency of mashed potatoes. Has never failed to warm someone up.
    If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man.

Why not go hunting and fishing use that to eat and Sun dry or salt the rest remember use all of the animal. And save the skin.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

chinese beef and peppers. I like to jack it up with a few habeneros at deer camp. It's a good recipe for deer camp since you can cook it in a slow cooker. Works real well in a dutch oven (bean pot) left on a wood burning stove FWIW.

CHINESE BEEF AND PEPPERS

Combine and brown in Tab. oil:

1 large round steak (2 pounds), cut in strips
    3 green peppers sliced
    1 onion cliced
    2 stalks celery

Add:
    4 Tab. soy sauce
    2 tea. sugar
    2 tea. salt
    clove garlic
    2 cans mushrooms undrained
    28 oz. can tomatoes
    8 oz. tom sauce
    1 bouillon cube

Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours. Combine 2 Tab. corn starch in 2 Tab. water. Stir into pot. Stir until thickened and clear. Serve over noodles or rice.
    Last edited by fatnhappy; 08-27-2013 at 08:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fatnhappy View Post
    chinese beef and peppers. I like to jack it up with a few habeneros at deer camp. It's a good recipe for deer camp since you can cook it in a slow cooker. Works real well in a dutch oven (bean pot) left on a wood burning stove FWIW.

CHINESE BEEF AND PEPPERS

Combine and brown in Tab. oil:

1 large round steak (2 pounds), cut in strips
    3 green peppers sliced
    1 onion cliced
    2 stalks celery

Add:
    4 Tab. soy sauce
    2 tea. sugar
    2 tea. salt
    clove garlic
    2 cans mushrooms undrained
    28 oz. can tomatoes
    8 oz. tom sauce
    1 bouillon cube

Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours. Combine 2 Tab. corn starch in 2 Tab. water. Stir into pot. Stir until thickened and clear. Serve over noodles or rice.
    That's kind of a family recipe for my wife & her folks. They also use somekind of Chinese black bean that gets mushed into a thick dry paste and added to the mix. The dish is served over rice of course. We call it "pepper-steak".

Boolit Buddy
    Chicken and Dumpling Casserole
    -------- Substitute Dutch oven for casserole dish-------
    Ingredients
    2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (boil in seperate pot and save broth)
    2 cups chicken broth (from boiled chicken or canned)
    ½ stick of butter
    2 cups Bisquick
    2 cups whole milk
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    3 teaspoons of chicken granules or 3 chicken bouillon cubes
    ½ teaspoon dried sage
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    ½ teaspoon of salt or more to taste

Directions
    Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Layer 1 - In 9 x 13 casserole dish, melt 1/2 stick of butter. Spread shredded chicken over butter. Sprinkle black pepper and dried sage over this layer. Do not stir. Layer 2 - In small bowl, mix milk and Bisquick. Slowly pour all over chicken. Do not stir. Layer 3 - In medium bowl, whisk together 2 cups of chicken broth, chicken granules and soup. Once blended, slowly pour over the Bisquick layer. Do not Stir. Bake casserole for 30-40 minutes, or until the top is golden brown
    Last edited by Roosters; 08-28-2013 at 02:31 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cephas53 View Post
    Nothing fancy here but well received in the dead of winter. Chop up an equal amount of potatoes and onions and add some salt and pepper. I use an electric skillet but have done it with a cast skillet also. Cover with water and let it simmer for an hour or so stirring it every so often. Add more water along the way if needed. Cook off the excess water and it'll almost be the consistency of mashed potatoes. Has never failed to warm someone up.
    Not bad!

But let's bump it a bit.

Start with bacon or good fatty sausage (preferred) in the pot. Over medium heat, get those to browning and rendering off a bit of fat while you chop the onion up. When you get the onion chopped and the meat is browned and you have some grease in the pot, dump in the onions. Get them sizzling and browning off while you cut your potatoes up.

When the onions take on a definite BROWN (not that foppish 'translucent' **** from the Food Network. BROWN!) add the potatoes and bit of water. Let things steam to get the potatoes cooking, then lower the ehat a bit until the potatoes are cooked through. Let the mess sit until the potatoes on the bottom of the pot start to brown a bit them sleves, and stir to give some other potatoes a chance at this glory.

Salt and pepper, and serve.

Dale in Louisiana
    (who just gace you a recipe of "Smothered Potatoes and Sausage")

Boolit Master
    Wouldn't call it gourmet, but a favorite side dish is a big bag of frozen shredded hash browns, mixed in a greased baking dish with liberal amounts of shredded cheese and sour cream. Goes good with any meat.

Then for breakfast or lunch, eggs scrambled in the leftover potatoes, with any leftover meat included optionally.
    Paul

Make your Chili in a dutch oven when done cover with Jiffy Corn Bread Mix And bake till done. Step back as you may get run over by hungry campers!Clint