Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee Precision
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Opossum in the city, need a very quiet load.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by grumman581 View Post
    Now, I wonder if whether creating a compensator that just happened to reduce the sound pressure would fall under the (unconstitutional) NFA rules.
    Yep, if it reduces the sound it's a supressor according to the BATFE.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Bub
    I have lived "in town" for the last 5 years. My house is the first house in town the city limit sign is in my front yard. We don't see many opossums but in the last 4 years I have dispatched 17 groundhogs from the backyard in broad day light and nobody has heard a thing. 40% of those were with .22 LR from a bolt action rifle the rest were with CCI .22 short CB loads 29gr solid from the same bolt rifle. I have used a Ruger Single Six though one time and it was fairly quiet with the CCI shorts as well.

Boolit Master

we don't have armadillos where i am, but we always referred to them as possum on the half shell.

I would think a howitzer would do just fine and draw very little attention.

In New Zealand we find possum sunning themselves on the side of the road and sometimes closer to the middle of the road. They lie like that for days without moving.

We shoot them with silenced 22's at night with spot lights.

If a quiet 30 cal is being called for, what about a pellet driven by one or two grains of bullseye.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 08-31-2013 at 01:41 AM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy

From Florida originally, but these days it's wherever my RV is parked
    Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    In New Zealand we find possum sunning themselves on the side of the road and sometimes closer to the middle of the road. They lie like that for days without moving.
    Over here, we call that "roadkill".
    Home is where the RV is...

"assassinating a leader is morally justified when people have suffered under a tyrant for an extended period of time and has exhausted all legal and peaceful means to overthrow that leader" -- Abraham Lincoln
    Kind of ironic, don't ya' think?

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Wrist Rocket and a caliber .30 ball bearing. If someone already noted this procedure I did not read all the previous. Anyway aim for the earlope.
    Then you will want to start a nearby vehicle for tire tread application.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Good morning
    Wrist Rocket and a caliber .30 ball bearing. If someone already noted this procedure I did not read all the previous. Anyway aim for the earlope.
    Then you will want to start a nearby vehicle for tire tread application.
    Mike in Peru
    Mike, we have had store bought wrist rockets for years. I have never mastered them. I can hit the barn roof from 20 yards!
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

In Remembrance
    I never was what a guy would call good with a wrist rocket (not exactly what we called them back then) but I had a friend when we were kids that could nail a squirrel of the top of a telephone probably 9 out of 10 shots.
    There is a video out that I have seen of a guy that just doesn't miss anything with one.

Boolit Master
    I think you are all trying to corrupt me.

Don't you just call 'yer mate the turtleman or swamp people or anaconda man. croc swimmer wrestler bloke.

Just in ...vite some of 'yer kin folk around for a barbie.

Just blast it with a shottie and yell out don't worry dear just another one of those F@%kin snakes.
    Last edited by barrabruce; 09-01-2013 at 10:03 AM.

Boolit Master
    For those who do not have a lathe, a co. in Anchorage, AK, makes a line of inserts and adapters, for both rifles and shotguns.
    I have an adapter to fire .22 rf in a .223 Handi, it does work, it is not convenient, but it works.
    I also have a .38sp/.357 mag adapter for 20 ga. it was made by Numrich some 40 years ago it works and a factory .38sp is not very loud when fired from a 20ga with a 24" barrel.
    I am sure some minimal loads would be even more quiet.
    The co. in Anchorage is MCA Sports.
    drinks, NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, CCRKBA, GOA, JPFO, CBA, Def-Con.

How quiet can subsonic, light shot load 12ga shotguns be? Another question, how effective and accurate would a sabot'ed round ball be in a shotgun? What distance are we talking here, 20yds? A steel ball would have enough speed to do the job at almost inaudible (to the neighbours) levels. It doesn't matter if there is some noise as long as it doesn't sound like a gunshot.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy

From Florida originally, but these days it's wherever my RV is parked
    Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    How quiet can subsonic, light shot load 12ga shotguns be? Another question, how effective and accurate would a sabot'ed round ball be in a shotgun? What distance are we talking here, 20yds? A steel ball would have enough speed to do the job at almost inaudible (to the neighbours) levels. It doesn't matter if there is some noise as long as it doesn't sound like a gunshot.
    If you start up your Harley, no one is going to notice a single gun shot.
    Home is where the RV is...

"assassinating a leader is morally justified when people have suffered under a tyrant for an extended period of time and has exhausted all legal and peaceful means to overthrow that leader" -- Abraham Lincoln
    Kind of ironic, don't ya' think?

Boolit Mold
    Gloolits

Boolit Master
    Here is the link to my experiments. By the way, consider leaving a can of tuna on your neighbor's porch and let them deal with the critter.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ghlight=possum
    7br aka Mark B.

On the internet, I am 6ft tall, good looking and can dance.

Stuff 4 or 5 grains of unique in that '06, put in a tuft of filler and force a lead round ball in the end of the shell so it's tight. You can to that with a common bench vice. That is how I reloaded round ball in 38's for years before I ever got a press. Voila .....Quiet homemade small game whacker ......
    Ohio Rusty ><>
    "This is America !!, where many have fought and died for our right
    to celebrate our views with inflatable creatures in our yards ......."

leaving a can of tuna on your neighbor's porch
    start a nearby vehicle for tire tread application
    darn, just lost that gulp of cola.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

My earliest loading and LE mentor's weapon of choice was the 4-cell Kel light. May he rest in peace, he REALLY hated possums.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    Quote Originally Posted by grumman581 View Post
    I use a .357mag with a 158 gr cast lead bullet and around 2.5 gr of Hodgedon Clays, IIRC. I believe that they chrono around 350-400 fps. They will go through an armadillo or possum, so I ensure that I have shooting down at them so that the bullet goes into the ground afterward. It is quieter than a .22LR round, although not as quiet as the super quiet .22 rounds that are probably nothing more than just primer when shot in a bolt action. A single shot is unlikely to give anyone a sense of direction on where the sound came from, especially late at night when most people are inside.

With a semi-auto, you probably won't have enough power to cycle the action. When experimenting with extremely low power loads, you need to ensure that the bullet cleared the barrel before firing a subsequent shot. Personally, I would not use a semi-auto for any load that could not properly cycle the action.

This. Though the same load out of a .357 Levergun is more quiet than my .177 pellet gun...
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

For the record, I did work one up for the garand, 2.2 gr titegroup, 311299 boolit: slow slow. penetrates a pine 2x4. And quieter than a subsonic 22.
    Was hitting a foot low at 25 meters, so adjusted the sights up, lands at a 40 degree angle.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast