WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Coon recipies wanted

Boolit Grand Master

My brother and I cooked an old male coon he had killed. Didn't know about the "glands" , we just skinned it, gutted,par- boiled in salted water to tenderize it and finished it on the grill. It tasted muskey, nasty-gamey about like your gym socks smelled at years end. I will never do that again untill I watch someone else remove those glands. I don't know where they are or what they look like but find out and REMOVE all of them.
    Armadillo's ( they are very tastey ) do not have any glands nor do nutria ( nutria are vegitarians and are quite good to eat) . Here in Louisiana you get a $5.00 bounty for the tail and you get to keep the meat and hide. Good luck with the trapping it is sure to be a fun project.
    Gary

Boolit Buddy

gwpercle, there are two glands (one under each armpit) under the front legs, and there are two glands in the crothch area between the rear legs. The ones between the rear legs sometimes will come off when you skin them. But they will look kind of like gray or dark colored beans win a flap of tissue and are usually have a bit of fat around them. When you remove them, pull them up and cut around and beneath them . Try to not squeeze them too much while pulling them up to cut out.

My grandmother used to soak the meat in a brine usually about two gallons of water, 3/4 cup of salt, and 1/3 cup of baking soda. She would soak the meat overnight, then rinse, and would parboil before grilling, or cook in a dutch oven with onions, potatoes, carrots,salt, pepper, smashed clove of garlic, and sometimes with cabbage.

Like others have said, it's all in how you skin it, and how you prepare it. And like others have said, be sure to trim as much fat away from the meat as you can.
    Last edited by Smitty's Retired; 08-29-2013 at 12:29 PM.
    One of the greatist delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation.- Thomas Reed (1886)
    "The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give it to those who would not."-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerjim View Post
    Be sure to remove the scent glands when cleaning, then parboil them until tender. Season and put on barbeque for a short time. They taste like the dark meat on a turkey. If you miss any of the scent glands, they will be inedible.
    Nutria is good too, tastes just like chicken.
    I've put a tablespoon of liquid crab boil in the parboil water when doing as above. Came out good.