RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2

Thread: WOO HOO!! It works!!! well, sorta...

Boolit Bub

WOO HOO!! It works!!! well, sorta...

Ref. this thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=19588

I finally bought a barrel; an A&B 26" F-44, from Midway. Man, that thing is heavy, even with a 35 caliber hole in it. I decided to fit it to a Rem 700 SA first. I figured that I could always cut it down to fit the '93 mauser, if I wanted. Well I'm gonna have to do just that. The .473 boltface isn't quite tight enough on the Russian case for reliable extraction. But, the fireforming is going well. Too bad I don't have a spare PPC bolt!
    I would already have it screwed on the '93, but our local gunshow is this weekend. Gotta have priorities! One thing: it feeds slicker'n snot with those pointed bullets!
    A couple of days ago, I let a bud fire the first five for group, after it was sighted in... With Hornady 180gr SSPs and 22gr of Alliant 2400, the first four almost filled up a 1" square. Of course the fifth opened the group to about 1 1/2". I hate Murphy.
    I'll post again after puttin it on the Mexican, and maybe a few pics of groups, too. I have an 8# jug of WCC 820, that should be ideal for this thing. It should push a 200-210 to 2000, and a 180 to maybe 2200, if my WW and FWFL are up to it. My only worry is getting the flat noses to feed. Only experience will tell me that. Wish me luck, and I'll keep you posted..............Bug.

Std 7.62x39, necked up 35X39, fireformed case, and a loaded round with one of the 170gr FN GB.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 35X39.jpg  
    Last edited by Bug; 10-16-2007 at 09:27 AM.
    It's the Little Things, that matter.

Boolit Master
    Neat sounding project, I'll keep an eye on it. The 200's sound like a .35 Rem. wich isn't bad at all. Thanks.

Boolit Bub
    Dubber,
    That's exactly what I'm aiming at... 35 Rem ballistics. Albeit in a smaller package, so I can get max cast boolit velocities with 100% loading densities. The intended use is for 200yd and under whitetail and feral hogs. Yeah, it doesn't better the moribund 30-30, but it does use 35 cal boolits. That makes it more versataile, and best of all, I ain't likely to run into anyone else with one!

Boolit Master

Thumbs up

Bug you are one happy shooter -- good luck with your new venture-- Mag_01

Super Moderator

..............That's a tidy looking little cartridge. Neat!

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

Bug,
    You might want to rim turn some 30-30 brass to fit your bolt and then form it to 357 Herret.
    You should be able to drive a 200 gr bullet fast enough to get your attention.

Jack

Boolit Master

Very neat project! I have thought about a necked 7.62X39. I would also like to build a short action Mauser in 7.62X39. It would be a trim compact package.

Boolit Master
    Looks kinda like a .300 whisper
    Some where between here and there.....

Don't the Russian special ops guys use a 9x39? Perhaps they are all cast boolit shooters too!!
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master

Like to see what it would do with a Speer 180gr. Sil. FMJ.

Boolit Bub
    Well, SPIT!!!
    Looks like this one is gonna go on the back burner for a while. First off, I threaded the barrel on a M-700 SA. After sighting in, this is the FIRST five, shot for group shot. While it would partially extract fired rounds, they wouldn't eject. They would just sorta fall down into the action, and that only if you had the barrel pointing straight up. But it has promise!!!
    So, I fit it to the Spanish model '93. Same story. That one would pull the case out to where the case head was just visible in the ejection port, then turn it loose. Hmmmm. 35 Remington cases are bigger than 7.62X39 cases - but still not .473". I ream it to full 35 Remington. Still not working! Looks like Buckshot was right (as usual, dangit!). I'm going to have to find a sho-nuff welder, or a real gunsmith - I ain't either one - to build up the extractor on the '93 so it will grip the cases firmly. Might as well extend the ejector too, while I'm at it.
    I thought I'd go ahead and post the group, just for grins. If anyone knows of someone to do the extractor, I'd appreciate a shout................................Bug.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1st Group.jpg  

darn if that ant one good looking round and the group is fine too

tom

Boolit Master
    I thought of necking up 7x39 cases in 1992! never got around to doing much except making some mock up cartridges. was going to call it 9x39 and use 147gr BTHP boolits to get velocity up. researched it and found that the russians made an identical ctg back in the 60's was going to rebarrel sk/ak's. keep us informed on how it's going