RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders Jerky

Thread: Venison neck roast

Venison neck roast

Venison Neck Roast

Yea, I know, neck roast yuck. That is what I hear about venison neck roasts when ever
    mentioned. Most people just grind the neck for hamburger or sausage. A few people
    strip the neck meat for jerky. I, myself make neck roast out of the neck. It is the best roast
    in the entire deer and compares highly with a good pot roast. Many people that have
    tried it have mentioned that it is the best roast they have had. Even people that don’t
    fancy venison have enjoyed a good meal with it. Leftovers, if there weren’t enough vegetables
    in the pot make for fine sandwiches with mustard. Give this venison neck roast recipe a try,
    it is gooood.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	securedownload neck roast 1.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	80291
    Neck roast preparation

Name:	securedownload neck roast 2.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	80293
    The first step is to remove the remove the esophagus. Then start filleting the meat at
    the centerline underneath where the esophagus laid away from the bone. Do one side
    first then the other.

Name:	securedownload neck roast 3.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	80294
    This may seem a bit tedious but it is well worth it. A good sharp smaller knife or fillet
    knife is best for this butchering. When you are done cutting the meat off the last top
    vertebrae it will look like this. Do a little trimming if necessary.

Name:	securedownload neck roast 4.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	80295
    I split this roast into two. Get your spices ready. Beef bouillon, fresh ground black
    pepper, garlic, Basil, thyme, onion or substitute, allspice, ginger, celery flake, clove,
    and Worcestershire sauce is what I used on these roast. The basics are bouillon, pepper,
    garlic, onion, and thyme but your palate may have different tantalizations. Experiment,
    for example I don’t like rosemary and cumin.

Name:	securedownload neck roast 5.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	80296
    Score the meat medium deep in a crisscross pattern in ½” cuts. After the crisscross
    cuts the meat will tend to flatten out.

Name:	securedownload neck roast 6.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	80297
    Apply the spices and then dose with a light to medium dash of Worcestershire sauce.

Name:	securedownload neck roast 7.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	80298
    Roll and tie with string to make the rolled roast. Wrap in freezer paper and freeze.
    Before the rolled neck roast freezes it will actually marinate and while thawing.

Name:	neck roast-potatoes.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	80299
    Use a moist pot roast method or slow cooker type method to cook in either oven or
    top of stove. Brown on all sides in a hot roasting pan with a bit of oil then add water
    to about half to three quarter up the roast depending on the size of the pan. Add
    stock when necessary. Put in beef bouillon or soup base and a couple of bay leaves
    and slow cook or just simmer for about 4 to 6 hours. When it is starting to get tender
    add potatoes, carrots, onion, celery, and/or maybe a few parsnips, rutabaga, or turnips
    for a different flavor for your palate. When done remove meat and vegetables to
    platter and thicken juices or broth with corn starch for gravy, or I mean sauce. These
    two roasts were from a 5 pt. from 11/12. One of them will easily serve four to five people.
    These were about 3 lb. boneless neck roast. A whole decent size neck roast will serve 10.

Give this recipe a whirl run5run. If you put this neck roast in a dutch oven next to the fire around noon waksupi at a shoot people can tend it through out the day when they tend the fire and it will be ready for supper. All you need to do is brown, simmer, and dump pre-cut veggies in an hour before eating time, then a simple corn starch gravy.

Boolit Master

I'm in the "most people" category and usually put the neck in grinds. But the picture evidence you provide does have "drool drool" written all over it. I used to use the crock pot for most any roast but now more often than not use a glass pan with about an inch of water in it covered with foil. I'm going to give your recipe a try next time I get a chance. FB

Boolit Mold
    Dang I've been lettin the yotes eat good. I will definetly do your recipe this year Thanks for sharin

Kris

Boolit Man
    That looks tasty good. We have always done our venison roasts in a roast bag with the spices pre-mixed. If I can ever get another deer tag I will be trying this one. Thanks!
    Pulling the trigger will increase your bullets velocity by 100%.

Boolit Master
    I leave the bone in and it turns out fantastic. Just tie the meat up with a couple pieces of string to keep it together while cooking and slow roast in a dutch oven.

Boolit Master

Ya'll have all heard me say great things about Texas. The one thing that gets my goat about this State is that it considers a harvested deer to be 4 quarters and backstrap. That's all you gotta take home. To me, that's a lot of meat allowed to be wasted. I bring everything but the hide and guts, and even then, I've brought quite a few hides home to be turned into rawhide or leather. My dad would cut out the neck from just under the skull to the shoulders and turn that into 2 roasts. Roast it with the bone in. Good Eats, as the man says. I grind mine, not that I don't think neck roast is good, but my bunch would probably not.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    I agree totally! The neck makes a great roast, I use it with carrots/potatoes/cellery/onions and seasoning. However I do not bone it, the meat will literally fall off the bone.
    My other recipe I make is soup just like you would if you were using chuck, some people refer to this as vegetable beef soup, it's fandamtastic, LOL.

I forgot to say that I like to but a piece of fat chuck or beef suit in the soup recipe also, it just adds some more flavor.

Being out of venison just plain sucks!!

Moderator Emeritus

Best roast on the deer in my opinion. Bone in and slow cook until falling apart tender.

Vendor Sponsor

That looks really good! Prob I have here in NC is that the deer are so small that not much meat in the neck. They have the same amount of fascia as larger deer just a LOT less edible red meat between the layers. I usually take what I can from the neck and make sausage with it for that reason. If I get a good sized one, I will definitely do the neck up like the OP does it!

Banned

my partner and i shoot alot of deer every year. My father lays claim to all the necks. He uses them for burger, soup and roasts. Hed rather have the neck then the backstraps of a deer. Now i will admit that a neck roast done right is hard to beat but personaly id take the backstraps He takes out the wind pipe and trims them up good leaving the bone in it and slow cooks it in a roaster. Hes got a mental block against crock pots but ive done them that way and they turn out real well too. Have to admit though that the ones i keep are usually used for burger. I get alot of venison and dont have the time to clean a neck up good enough for the roaster when i have cleaner cuts of meat on the hind quarters for my roasts. Much easier for me to bone them out and toss them in the grinder.

a curried goat neck stew recipe substituting venison neck... bones left in...

And need to try yours. It looks awesome! And I hate wasting meat. I take all the neck meat I can get from my buddies.

Moderator Emeritus

There is a lot of collagen in a neck roast. Cook it slow and let it melt and it releases a ton of flavor into the meat.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    thanks for sharing, looks mighty tasty

Boolit Master

Old thread, but that is one of the prettiest neck boning jobs I have ever seen!

Banned

Looks super and I have to do it. We kept the bone in mostly but you need to remove the big tendons near the spine and as much fat as you can along with glands. The meat is GOOD. I also roast a whole front shoulder or make BBQ with them. The shoulder has some fine meat.