RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data

Thread: The Official AR-10 and Variant Thread.

The Official AR-10 and Variant Thread.

This is one of my favorite weapons platforms.

Here's some mags I painted 7 years ago with KG Coatings Flat Dark Earth.
    I get some rifle pics up.

They look great. I wish I had that many
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

I've been lusting over the LMT's for a while now. They aren't cheap and while I have the money set aside for one, I am looking to find one at a nice price. That'll leave more money for mags and other must-have's. I almost picked up a SCAR a few months back but decided to hold out for the LMT.

I have heard that Hogan Guns builds some quality .308 AR's but have no first hand experience with them.

Boolit Master
    Hi Duke,
    Those look like M-14 mags converted? I know the Armilite is considered better quality but my pockets aren't real deep so picked up an DPMS upper to go with a DPMS lower I built and it functions flawlessly. Use a Zeiss 3x9 scope with ARMS detachable rings and Magpul furniture/ mags and she runs pretty good!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnman31 View Post
    I've been lusting over the LMT's for a while now. They aren't cheap and while I have the money set aside for one, I am looking to find one at a nice price. That'll leave more money for mags and other must-have's. I almost picked up a SCAR a few months back but decided to hold out for the LMT.

I have heard that Hogan Guns builds some quality .308 AR's but have no first hand experience with them.
    I'm not sure what the relationship is between Hogan guns and POF - I -THINK- that Hogan made a rifle, and then POF picked up the rights to make it, to make their P308. The reason I say that is, I've seen ads (such as on gunbroker) for Hogan AR10 clone 308's, and they look just like the POF guns, and in the ads they said what I said above.

Now, whether Hogan is still making the guns, or if POF completely bought Hogan out, I don't know. Also, whether POF made improvements to the Hogan rifle to make their P308, I'm not sure (but I have a feeling they updated / changed it some - the P308's that are out now have had some small revisions over time)

Anyways. Just mentioning that, b/c no one else commented

BUT, I do have a POF P308 and really like it. 20" model, and I got it used (but in almost new condition), and its a few years old, probably dates to one or two years after they first brought them out. So it has the full tactical rails, vltor M4 design stock with some upgrades, etc. I'm not a HUGE fan of all the rails, the new "hunter" models that they have out look nice (where they have cut back on some of the rails, to make the gun easier to carry, perhaps a little more user friendly - less rail surface to catch on objects, IF u have the rails empty w/o covers on them).

I've had mine for a couple of years now, if the hunter model had been available at that time (or easily available in a lightly used gun), I would have considered that, it would have been a bit better for what I do with it. On the other hand, the full tactical rails MIGHT help resale, b/c the people who buy these might be buying it partly for the "tacti-cool" image.

Overall though, I think its a great platform! Very easy to use, the ergonomics are really good, and they increased the ambi features on it. I love the match grade, nitrided barrel. Would I have worn out a standard barrel? I dunno. But the nitrided barrel really makes it almost a "lifetime" gun unless you really are a hardcore shooter / competitor. Double, triple the barrel life (esp under rapid fire conditions) w/ excellent accuracy is awesome. And I love the gas piston design (I don't want to get into a DI -direct impingement- vs piston driven argument - but for ME, I really like the piston design)

Anyways! I have a new camera I haven't hooked up to my computer yet. At some point I'll take some photos & upload

Boolit Master

AR10 Variants....Hmmm my favorite was my Portuguese AR that I built in the late 80's....no longer have it though.

Doug
    Last edited by 94Doug; 08-13-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    Hi Duke,
    Those look like M-14 mags converted? I know the Armilite is considered better quality but my pockets aren't real deep so picked up an DPMS upper to go with a DPMS lower I built and it functions flawlessly. Use a Zeiss 3x9 scope with ARMS detachable rings and Magpul furniture/ mags and she runs pretty good!
    Those are all factory Armalite New Generation magazines.
    How well do the Magpul mags do?

Boolit Master
    The magpuls work great in the DPMS of mine. In fact I prefer them to factory.

Ebner

OK, where are the cast bullet groups shot through the AR-10's and variants ??
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Boolit Master
    I just put together a CMMG with an 18" barrel. I've only had a chance to try out a couple of different loads so far, but it shows lots of potential for accuracy.

I wish they weren't so darn expensive though. Can't see why they cost so much more than a 556 AR.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DUKE NUKEM View Post
    Those are all factory Armalite New Generation magazines.
    How well do the Magpul mags do?
    Hi,
    I have only used Magpul mags and have never looked back! Those Armilite mags look just like M-14 mags! I'm sure they share alot in design! Go figure!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

I just picked up a Smith & Wesson M&P 10. Cast boolits in the 130 t0 150 grain range should work nicely, possibly heavier. Who is load cast for their .308 AP platform?
    --
    Mark
    Glendale, AZ

NRA Life Member
    ASRPA Life Member

Thompson Center Contender Pistol Barrels in:
    .22LR - .22 Hornet - .22 K-Hornet- .223 Rem - .270 REN - 7MM TCU - 7-30 Waters - .30-30 Win - .30 Herrett - .32-20 Win - .357 Magnum - .357 Herrett - .35 Rem - .375 Winchester - .44 Magnum - .444 Marlin - .45-70 Govt

Thompson Center Contender Pistol Barrels Wanting:
    .17 Mach - .22 Jet - .256 Win Mag - 6MM TCU - .30 Carbine