MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Load Data

Thread: Slugging a 5-groove Enfield

Slugging a 5-groove Enfield

I just got my first Enfield, a clean No4Mk2, all matching, with a like new bore. Well I slugged the bore, but am having a hard time measuring the slug, since the grooves are not opposite each other. What is the trick?
    Ten Bears; "You are the Grey Rider. You would not make peace with the bluecoats. You may go in peace."
    Josey Wales; "I reccon not."

Charlie Waite; "Men are gonna die here today, Sue, and I'm gonna kill them."

micing a 5 groove slug

wrap a thin feeler guage around slug, mike, subtract the thickness of the feeler guage X 2

TTC
    NRA life member (benefactor)

OK. I did the measuring, and the math, and it came out to .311. Tighter than I expected. Will re-slug and try again. The bore on this Enfield does look new, maybe I got lucky on this one!
    Ten Bears; "You are the Grey Rider. You would not make peace with the bluecoats. You may go in peace."

Take the slug and roll it between the slack jaws of your dial caliper. Do it several times. You will see a number that repeats.
    Douglas, Ret.

Super Moderator

.............Measure the barrel OD right at the muzzle. Then pinch the wall of the barrel in a groove, between the jaws of your calipers. Subtract 2X barrel wall measurement from the bbl OD.

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Bub
    One method that works with a good degree of precision is to:

Place bullet slug with odd number of grooves in a V block with "grooves" resting on the block.

Set a firmly mounted dial indicator on the top "groove" in the V block. Rotate the indicator dial to zero wherever the needle is.

Pull out the bullet being measured and place cylinders with known diameters in the V block until one is found that also zeros the indicator needle. Drill bit shanks work well for this or cylinders with the range of diameters needed can be turned on a lathe.

Measure the equivalent diameter cylinder with a micrometer and you have your groove diameter.

I would welcome any comments on this method which was shared with me by my machinist shooting partner.

Vern

Slug the throat of the chamber and establish that diameter and forget the groove.

Just a thought.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    Slug the throat of the chamber and establish that diameter and forget the groove.

Just a thought.
    That get's my vote.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Yep, shoot the biggest boolit that will chamber with 0.001 clearance all around the case neck. Find and use the case with the fattest neck thickness from the cases to be used in that gun. Use a sample of 30 cases if you find a lot of case neck variation between those you measure. 30 is a magic statistical number. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master

Vernz' me'lad, If you've got that much machine shop resources then you're creating much more work and frustration than necessary.
    The process has been discribed in detail in a thread (sticky?)If you can manufacture a V block of a specific angle then all you need to do is a direct msmnt and use the formular to give the correct diameter. 1,2,3, presto!!
    I can understand why someone would dub around with wrapping a feeler gage around a slug or fumbling with rotating a slug in michs when the have no other resources, but for someone to have a machine shop and machinest available and not avail themselves of the proper tool is sillyness.
    Sorry, I ran out of sympathy this PM.
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

The only possible mold I have right now is a Lee 311185/1R. It drops boolits only around
    .3125". I have my fingers crossed on this one, hoping the new bore of this Enfield is tight enough to work with these boolits. Will do a chamber cast if they don't work. May try them unsized. Have already opened up a .311 sizer to .312 for the Mosin. Will tweak it to .3125" if needed.

Boolit Bub
    pepe ray - although my friend is a machinist he works for a major corporation and really cannot do custom work for his friends. That is unless he wants to take a run at getting fired. I used the method I described with a 45 degree V block that I happen to have and it worked for me. Can you direct me to a source of information using V blocks for direct measurement?

Vern

Boolit Master

The original printed article was in an American Rifleman many yrs ago. That was reprinted in the Harrison's (NRA) cast bullet Publication, circa 1979.
    In response to this question (Many), I posted a synopses in Nov, '06. in the Special Projects Forum. It doesn't appear to be there any more. I can find it by searching my posts (Page 9). I'm not clever enough to know if you can do the same thing. Try it.
    For a correct measurement a 108* angle is needed. And the formula. It's all there.
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    O. H. McKagen, Falls Church, VA has such a setup and provides free (with SASE) odd-groove bullet measurements as a service to the shooting community. He is a regular in the single-shot, black powder and cast bullet magazines and had an article on his tools and methods a few months back; unfortunately, I can't locate his address just now, and my latest "Fouling Shot" (which had a note from him) went to a friend a few days back. But someone here (Dale 53???) must have that info handy.

floodgate

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Ray View Post
    The original printed article was in an American Rifleman many yrs ago. That was reprinted in the Harrison's (NRA) cast bullet Publication, circa 1979.
    In response to this question (Many), I posted a synopses in Nov, '06. in the Special Projects Forum. It doesn't appear to be there any more. I can find it by searching my posts (Page 9). I'm not clever enough to know if you can do the same thing. Try it.
    For a correct measurement a 108* angle is needed. And the formula. It's all there.
    Pepe Ray
    ............Pepe Ray, it's still there. On any particular forum entry page, go to the bottom and there is a menu for "Display Options". You can set that for the length of time you want to display threads. Set it for 'Forever' or 'Beginning' and you'll get every thread ever started since day one.

............vernz, that's an elegantly simple way to getterdone. Assuming you have the tools.

.............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance