Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Holster

Boolit Master

1911 Holster

I just got a new Ruger SR1911. I was just wondering what you guys are using for holsters. I have used nothing but shoulder holsters in the past. So I kinda want one of those. I was looking at the Galco Miami rig and was wondering how they got the gun out of it. It doesn't look like the pistol side has a strap that goes around your belt. Anyway, what do you like?

Boolit Buddy
    Milt Sparks Versa Max II. Holds full size nice tight to the body.

Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    Milt Sparks Versa Max II. Holds full size nice tight to the body.
    That one or a Summer Special II. Love mine, totally worth the wait.

Boolit Buddy
    I meant to mention, get a good gun belt also. You will not be happy with any holster on a floppy belt. I sprung for the Sparks belt also and was amazed at the difference it made. Lots of good ones out there, I am told.

I have basically the same rig by Galco however mine was originally called the Jack *** rig which they now call something else. It has a verticle holster for a 1911 and the way it works is it has strap that holds the gun in place and covers about a 2/3 of the length opening. Only the muzzle end of the gun, about 1/3 of it fits in what would be a typical holster. Simply pop the strap and lift a bit and gun comes straight out in your hand with out much lift. I not only holds very securely but is faster to draw from. It is actually faster than the shorter gun holster I have that fits it also that hangs horizontally. Probably the best should rig I've ever used and had a few through the years.
    Joe

Boolit Master

Any thing by Sparks is good. If you get a belt holster, get a belt also. A good heavy, thick belt at least 1 1/4" or better yet, 1 1/2" will support the rig and make it more comfortable to wear. And a good heavy belt will last, where a thinner floppy one will stretch and break. A good belt will make any good holster better.
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Grand Master

Another vote for VM2 from Sparks, although I have actually switched to a Watch Six from
    them which is essentially identical but horsehide (thinner than cowhide, and NICE) and
    does not have the steel liner at the top to keep it open for reholstering. Reholstering is
    slower with the W6, but it is thinner and flatter and I am a great believer in thin and
    flat in a CCW holster.
    These designs carry the gun extremely comfortably, easy to carry all day. VERY
    high quality holsters, unfortunately long backorder but well worth the wait.

Summer Special and Executive Companion (have used both extensively) let the gun
    rotate around the two, closely spaced straps too much for my taste. The wide
    base of the VM2 and W6 are super stable and the gun sits where it is supposed to
    be and the load is spread wider on the belt. SS and EC are extremely well made
    and GOOD holster designs. VM2 and W6 are extremely well made and GREAT
    holster designs.

+1 on a good belt.

Bill
    Last edited by MtGun44; 08-15-2013 at 11:02 PM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

+1 on milt sparks SS II.

Boolit Buddy
    I have an old Bianchi Askins Avenger that has served me well for a few decades now.

Have fun with this stuff.

Big Dale

Boolit Master
    I use an Alessi CQC-S. It's a non-retention holster, but the fit is so good it's damn near one. You'd have to wait to have one made, but it is one well made, fine holster. Their gun belts are a natural fit for their holsters as well.

Alessi's got a wide variety of configurations too. Good stuff.
    Bob

Banned
    I have a few VM IIs from Sparks. But he's getting weird attitudes. They're affecting his website and the way he does business.

Boolit Grand Master

I've carried in a Roy Baker pancake since 1973 and it's my go to rig. I also ue a Banchi inside the belt clip on or a Bianchi hi ride on occason. For field use I use and Uncle Mikes flap holster.

My favorite leather craftsman is Andrew's Leather. He makes amazing holsters, and his Monarch rig is one of the finest shoulder holster's made--priced accordingly. I have his Wrap-id model for my 1911 range holster.

Not a shoulder rig, but I CCW carry my full size 1911 in a mernickle medium rise. I carry behind my right hip. The end of the holster I tuck into my pocket. Fits snug and hides under an untucked shirt easily. The only issue is the top of the leather backing can and has unclick the thumb safetey-- moving safe condition one carry one click too close to condition zero... I ALWAYS check the slide safetey after holstering now. I also check it periodically. This 1911 has an ambi extended saftey and I caught it on a hog panel once and moved it. This was not the holster but a result of the oversized ambidexterous safety. ( this was the last 1911 in the shop... i did not seek out the safety... I bought the pistol inspite of it). For open/woods horseback carry I actually use an old school 1916 flap holster... It ain't fast but the slabside stays put!
    Jason

Love Life
    Mernickle.

My favorite holster for the M1911 is the Mitch Rosen USD Slimline. It is by far the most comfortable inside-the-pants holster for the M1911 that I've ever used.

http://www.mitchrosen.com/product_li...duct_line.html

+1 on getting a good belt. Without a solid belt you're wasting your money on a good holster.

Take care, Tom

Boolit Master

Lots of good suggestions here. Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master

El Paso Saddlery. Believe it or not they make a nice concealment holster for the 1911, hides my Guv'mint model better than my Bianchi hides my little Defender. Don't be put off by the order process, it only takes a week or two to make a holster that you'll probably use the rest of your life.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Banned
    I design and make my own holsters, couldn't find anything that concealed well, was comfortable, and affordable, so I make my own.

Boolit Master

I have 2 currently, I have a Serpa for open carry of both of my 1911's (full size and compact) and I also have one of these for concealed carry:

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95

I also can't say enough about a good belt designed for the task. I made due for years with just a standard belt but recently purchased a good 1 1/2" gun belt, bull hide with stiffener, HUGE difference in comfort with both my holsters:

http://www.thebeltman.net/