Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 357 mold!

Boolit Buddy

I will post a pic when its done. May be done in a week or two

Boolit Buddy
    I like the Lyman 358665 RNF. Mine drops at 164 grains and over 7 grains of Unique in a 357 case I get 1100 FPS out of my 4" 686. If that don't do the job, I reach for my '06.

Quote Originally Posted by BCgunworks View Post
    Other load I use quite a bit is the lee 170tc with starline and blue dot.
    Thanks for the feedback. One of my favorite 10mm loads is the Lee 175 TC. With my alloy it's actually just a hair under 177 grains but still, it's a very good bullet in 10mm.

Boolit Master
    I acquired a mould from Tom at Accurate molds for use in my little Marlin. It drops a plain base RNFP at just over 180 grains. It's proving to quite accurate with heavy loads of 2400, H110 and L'il Gun . Velocities are in the 1600FPS-1700 FPS range according to my Chrony.

Boolit Buddy

That's right 175 lee...

Only thing I worry about with the saa is how hot will be too hot. I know the metal is much stronger now than elmer keiths day.

Quote Originally Posted by BCgunworks View Post
    That's right 175 lee...

Only thing I worry about with the saa is how hot will be too hot. I know the metal is much stronger now than elmer keiths day.
    For curiosity's sake, what SAA clone are you customizing?

Sounds like proper work for a dedicated hunting pistol.

Boolit Buddy

Cimmerron/uberti. 7.5" modelp. Ill have it blued this week and ill get pics up. It looks horible right now due to the fact the flux took off the bluing where I soldered on the front sight. It does shoot pretty good.

Boolit Master

BC, we gotta have before/after pics of the Uberti !!

1 of my favorite boolits is the 358156 with the GC shank removed ! I also like an IDEAL 357446 mold I have .

The NOE version of the 358429 is showing promise ,but I have`nt wrung it out completely yet , been workin too much!!

Since you`re not sure what ya want or need , but for hunting I stay with solids ,I like the idea of having 2 holes leaking& less meat damage.

We`ll get it figured out .

GP
    GP100man

Quote Originally Posted by Thompsoncustom View Post
    BCgunwork I take it your hot salts bluing the gun? How does the silver solder fair being in the bluing solution and I'm guessing your using 56% silver? I would recommend the Lyman 358429 I use it in 9mm but seems like it would be a great all around bullet in .357
    358429 in 9mm? Really? I've only secretly imagined doing such a thing.....

Please share your load. I would imagine a light charge of Bullseye or the like? VERY interesting.
    A government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

And give away my secert Never!

Just kidding right now i'm running 2.7grs of AA#2 at 1.145 OAL Avg velocity is 727 so I could go a little faster. Bulleye is a little fast but could work if you hand loaded all of them. Here's a pic

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture2008.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	79148

looking at that case there might be a crack in it.....oh well when I got into reloading I had a Hi point C9 I tested all crazy loads on before moving them to my nicer pistols now I use quickload and a chrono.

Perma-Banned

Any of the 158 to 180 grain keiths work great. I prefer plain base ones myself as I do not push them very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    I like the Lyman 358665 RNF. Mine drops at 164 grains and over 7 grains of Unique in a 357 case I get 1100 FPS out of my 4" 686. If that don't do the job, I reach for my '06.
    This is a very good bullet.

Others to consider for an excellent mould maker:

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=36-165V-D.png
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=36-170K-D.png
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=36-175A-D.png

Boolit Buddy

Well I built one of these for a customer and I just had to have one. This started life as a factory new Cimmeron/Uberti Model P 7.5” 357 mag.
    Here is the list of what was done to it:
    Uniform throats
    Set back the barrel for optimal barrel/Cyl gap
    Mill the top strap for a Smith and Wesson Model 60 rear sight
    Solder on an in house made front sight
    Trigger work
    Lock up on this gun was good from the start and so was timing. I like a square back sight so this one was pretty simple.
    For the finish I elected to get rid of the fake color case and matte finish the frame and sights so there is zero glare coming back at the eyes.
    The barrel and grip frame are 400 grit polished. The cyl is two tone with the flutes being bead blasted and the rest 400 grit polished. All the small parts and screws are nitre blued.
    Now it just needs some nice grips!

Here is the bullet I’ll be running:
    NOE 160 grain LSWC HP!

Quote Originally Posted by LAH View Post
    Ditto on Toms work at Accurate Molds. He made a 165 gr .358, 3 cavity for me and it is a work of art. My 686 slugs .357 and the cylinders go .357 as well. I sized the boolits to .357 and they are a dream to shoot with 13.5 grs of 2400.Attachment 79600Attachment 79601 Here are targets @ 40 yds. His company is appropiately named.

[QUOTE=Thompsoncustom;2346166]And give away my secert Never!

Just kidding right now i'm running 2.7grs of AA#2 at 1.145 OAL Avg velocity is 727 so I could go a little faster. Bulleye is a little fast but could work if you hand loaded all of them. Here's a pic

Nice pic. Thanks for sharing yer "secret". He he....

Looks like a 358477 or RCBS 38 KT 150 with that large, single lube groove....... That would be around 155 gr. or so and not quite the 173 gr. +- of the 358429?

Again, I've really only imagined in my mind using such a heavy boolit, but since I'm seein' it with my own eyes, I might just try the 150 KT RCBS or the 358156.......

Paul
    A government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.