Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Buckshot Mold Are You Guys Using?

Boolit Master

What Buckshot Mold Are You Guys Using?

Hi,
    Was wondering what buckshot mold were you guys using and what size? Also interested in load data for CYL .730 muzzle 12 guage? I use factory buckshot ammo in my HD weapon but would like to load for range practice! Thanks!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Does a nitro wad in the bottom of the wad cup help?
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

I use the Lee 18 ball 000 buck.
    I just got and only used once a Sharp Shooter mold that has 00 on one side and #4 on the other. It is a bit clunky but I ran it real hot and it was better.
    I find it faster to load a .690 for 12 ga or .600 for 20 so I don't do a whole lot of buck. Both those are Lee, a single and a double.
    As Thomas Jefferson wrote, we must "prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them."

Banned

Sharpshooter #1 and 000. Very happy with them. Two molds for around $80.00 delivered. Great deal. I like the simplicity. Also have some ball molds, .575, .600 and .690. Right now working on two .575's in the Hubel Sabot, around 560 grains. If you have the $$$, the Heavy Metal molds sold here by Vendor/Sponsor JT Knives look really nice, around $80.00 plus shipping each.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    If you wanted to go cheap would the .31 cal round ball LEE mold work for close to OO Buck size?

Boolit Master

Banned

Yes that would work for sure. Just would take longer, which I don't mind. It is a DC and the Lee Precision round ball molds don't have the annoying "proud" sprue mark the Lymans balls have.

Boolit Master
    Seagiant, that's the mold I've been using. I used it a lot as a second mold to use while sprues cooled on other molds. Then after Christmas, I went on a speedcasting tear with it, and turned out 65 pounds of those little balls. I'm set for about a thousand rounds of 9 pellet buckshot before I need to use that mold again. I also have the Lee single cavity .600" mold for the Tri-ball, and a Lyman .678" rb mold.
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Boolit Master
    Seagiant, 9 of the .311" pellets weigh less than an ounce, but they fit well in a Win waa12 white wad. If you water drop the balls right out of the mold, and load them like a 1250 fps trap load you will be amazed at how much tighter they pattern than cheap factory buckshot. You can actually put those ghost ring sights to use.
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

"Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pipehand View Post
    Seagiant, 9 of the .311" pellets weigh less than an ounce, but they fit well in a Win waa12 white wad. If you water drop the balls right out of the mold, and load them like a 1250 fps trap load you will be amazed at how much tighter they pattern than cheap factory buckshot. You can actually put those ghost ring sights to use.
    Hi Pipehand,
    Sounds good! Just what I'm looking for! Can you use Clay's or Red Dot for that? I have Green STS and Win AA hulls?

Banned

"Does a nitro wad in the bottom of the wad cup help?"

Yes, generally, but it depends. Read some of Ajay's threads which have great graphics and ideas. Some of the slug info will apply to buckshot loads. Here are a couple:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-Blazing-Sabot!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Buckshot-loads!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    Hi Pipehand,
    Sounds good! Just what I'm looking for! Can you use Clay's or Red Dot for that? I have Green STS and Win AA hulls?
    The wads will work in either of those hulls. I've never used Clays, but I have used Red Dot. International Clays has worked very well for me. I just need to buy more of it as I'm out.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    Hi,
    Does a nitro wad in the bottom of the wad cup help?
    Which load are you using? I have used cut wad petals to gain a taller stack when making less than max loads, but only use a hard card when the load calls for it.
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    I'm not using any load yet, just trying to come up with a receipe that I can use with what I've already have in components!

Vendor Sponsor

Greg: Just got one of HM2 Mould's buckshot moulds which does 12 at a time. Really nice pieces of aluminum machined well. They are .330

See them in the Swapin' and Sellin' forum. Very nice stuff.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Greg: Just got one of HM2 Mould's buckshot moulds which does 12 at a time. Really nice pieces of aluminum machined well. They are .330

See them in the Swapin' and Sellin' forum. Very nice stuff.

Randy
    Hi Randy,
    J mentioned those,they look nice. I was going to just get a LEE 2-cav but they are a little hard to find and the shipping. Might be better just to up the money and get one of those! Probably happier in the end and holds its value!

Boolit Buddy
    I am using Lee 00 and #4 buckshot moulds. I can make a lot of buck in a short period. I throw them in the tumbler and they look great.
    They try telling me that I'm crazy but we know better.

Boolit Master

+1 for the Heavy Metal mould. The pellets just fall out. Very nice to use.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Man
    00 Sharpshooter

Vendor Sponsor

Greg: yes the HM2 moulds will hold their value better. I see nothing wrong with the Lee moulds either, and I was actually going to buy one but all of the normal sources were out so I went into the S&S section and found these.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...v-mold-3rd-run

Pretty good work.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com