1185. You may not vote on this poll
  • gloves

859 72.49%
  • no gloves

326 27.51%
Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: gloves or no gloves.

Vendor Sponsor

boots all the time, gloves no. Yes I get a few splatter burns nothing that won't heal in a few weeks ..
    gloves are very near by in case things get hairy

Boolit Master
    Hhhhhhmmmmmm !

Took a small burn Monday on the right hand. Part of a sprue entered the cuff of my glove. Thankfully a small part.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by otter5555 View Post
    never needed gloves in 40+ years of casting, but boots are mandatory for me
    I was once young and bullet proof. Now I'm old and slow to heal, so gloves are a must. If ya cast another 15-20 years, you'll see what I mean.

If I undertook this adventure as a young and dumb man I may have done some of the dumb things I've seen recounted in this thread. However I started in my late fourties as I am now 51 so have learned a few things along the way. Covered head to toe in safety gear. Ball cap wrap around safety glasses with p95 titty mask welders coveralls as well as gauntlet gloves and steel toe boots. I've never had the tinsel fairy meet me yet nor had any serious burns visit my exposed flesh. I want to continue to enjoy our hobby and not recuperate from it.
    If liberals knew what they were missing, they’d give up drugs, sex and rock-n-roll for shooting and hunting. But then the rest of us would never draw an elk tag, so to hell with 'em! — James "Mitch" Vilos aka (Pancho Vilos)

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I always wear flexable leather gloves......not welder golves! They are soft deerskin and protect from a moderate amount of heat and definitely "splashy" burns. Yet you still have the tactile feel you need to do stuff.

Also wear a full face shield, safety glasses/side shields (sometimes forget to flip the face shield down! Olde Tymer's Disease) and a leather shop apron for neck to toe protection, especially when smelting. You cannot beat leather!

A friend of mine had an ingot mold spill down his leg (blue jeans, thank goodness) and a bit ran into his tennis shoe. He never casts without cowboy boots on now!

Safety first. Suite up and have many safe casting sessions!

bangerjim

My welders coveralls have lead splatters on them which is a reminder to me that those coveralls are protecting me from the burns I could get if I didn't wear them especially the ones in my crotch area!!!
    If liberals knew what they were missing, they’d give up drugs, sex and rock-n-roll for shooting and hunting. But then the rest of us would never draw an elk tag, so to hell with 'em! — James "Mitch" Vilos aka (Pancho Vilos)

Gloves and long pants. I only wore shorts once
    "Life's a lot simpler when you plow around the stumps". Richard Miller

Boolit Mold
    Anytime I start feeling invincible I just look at the tattoo on my L forearm, the missing piece reminds me to wear PPE. Many years ago while casting grids at a battery plant, a glob of hot lead decided to land on my arm. Remembering the pain while running to a sink motivates the heck outta me.

Moderator Emeritus

Leather gloves, glasses. When smelting I start a pot and put a splatter shield over it in case of an explosion. When casting I know the lead is dry so no worries but till gloves and glasses..

All the safety equipment. This was July in Texas. I'd rather smelt & cast when it's cold. But as I said, it's Texas.

july-2012 079 by ZombieApoc, on Flickr

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    I was once young and bullet proof. Now I'm old and slow to heal, so gloves are a must. If ya cast another 15-20 years, you'll see what I mean.
    I can certainly relate to that statement!
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Boolit Buddy
    also I dress that way to melt the bullets, but in summer it is too hot ...... I though that work I do at night.

anche io mi vesto in quel modo per fondere i proiettili , ma in estate è troppo caldo ...... anche se io quel lavoro lo faccio di notte .

Quote Originally Posted by OnceFired View Post
    All the safety equipment. This was July in Texas. I'd rather smelt & cast when it's cold. But as I said, it's Texas.

july-2012 079 by ZombieApoc, on Flickr
    My hat is off to you. Anyone who can do anything in all that is 100 times more adaptable than I.

Quote Originally Posted by craveman85 View Post
    just thought i would do a poll on how many of you guys use gloves while casting. personally i dont because i cant stand having stuff on my hands. im also very clumsy when wearing gloves and have been known to spill stuff. ive been smelting lead and casting for about 5 years now and no burns except when you get a little droplet that bounces off the skin. (i do wear an apron, boots, and a face shield though)
    Gloves for me! I'm a welder and I can attest to the speed with which stuff can go wrong. There is a universal problem in which familiarity breeds contempt, and that is the fight to fight. Lightweight TIG gloves are a great compromise, as they are flexible, allow good tactile sensation, and are heavy enough to protect the hands. Maybe not as good as heavier gloves for ultimate protection, but certainly great over nothing. Just MHO...

Boolit Master

About 5 weeks ago I suffered a COOKING ACCIDENT, and had 2nd degree burns to my shooting

hand Index Finger, Thumb, Wrist and Forearm areas.

The Burn Center cut all the blisters and dead skin off with scissors, cleaned and bandaged me up.

All this was not FUN for sure, but I'm healing up well, THANK GOD.

Accidents and DUMB things DO OCCUR, in the Kitchen or Casting Lead.

When I'm at the casting bench, I'm fully COTTON and Leather clothed and use Welder's Gloves and Apron,

Safety Glasses and Face Shield, Hat, all the safety goodies for sure.

If you think safety equipment is uncomfortable, try a trip to the BURN CENTER.

Safety First and GOOD CASTING GENTS, Ladies too.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonman View Post
    About 5 weeks ago I suffered a COOKING ACCIDENT, and had 2nd degree burns to my shooting

hand Index Finger, Thumb, Wrist and Forearm areas.

The Burn Center cut all the blisters and dead skin off with scissors, cleaned and bandaged me up.

All this was not FUN for sure, but I'm healing up well, THANK GOD.

Accidents and DUMB things DO OCCUR, in the Kitchen or Casting Lead.

When I'm at the casting bench, I'm fully COTTON and Leather clothed and use Welder's Gloves and Apron,

Safety Glasses and Face Shield, Hat, all the safety goodies for sure.

If you think safety equipment is uncomfortable, try a trip to the BURN CENTER.

Safety First and GOOD CASTING GENTS, Ladies too.
    God bless! Glad to hear you are on the mend. Amazing how fast our lives can be changed through normal daily activities.

Moonman's statement about wearing cotton clothing is very important. Cotton will not melt to the skin, causing horrific pain when it is peeled off of the burn underneath.

Being a welder I am very aware of how fast we can get hurt messing with hot stuff. We are all wise to wear at least the basic safety equipment when smelting and casting. I like the idea of wearing the face shield. I wear safety glasses when working with lead, but not a face shield. Now that I have admitted to that, the handwriting is on the wall. I certainly have one hanging on the wall of my shop...

Thank you for the post.
    Bob

Being a welder I am very aware of how fast we can get hurt messing with hot stuff.
    +1, the only third degree I have was with a torch in one hand & a lead in the other.

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    Burns suck gloves 100%
    eye wear too
    Me Too.
    Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live or die on this day. Live or die on this day.

Moderator Emeritus

Worst burn I ever got was when I was learning electronics. I dropped the soldering iron and instinct said catch it so I did. 5 seconds later I dropped it again as the pain registered, I had caught it by the tip. Since then drop it and I push back away and let it fall