Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand de-capper

Boolit Bub

Hand de-capper

Hi y'all,
    I can appreciate fine tools and take care of them. I look for things that are well made usually before price. That out of the way, I am looking for a hand tool to de-cap 45-70 cases at the range. Black powder shooting, decap and into a bucket of water. I would like to hear from y'all of some of the nicer hand tools for this. I am thinking of the 310 tool with just a decapper or the Distant Thunder decapper model. Anything else? I looked at the Pope style and am not really sold on it.

Anyone have any of these devices? Do you like them, if not, why?

Thank you,
    George
    Best regards,
    George

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "A well-schooled electorate, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and read Books, shall not be infringed".
    J. Neil Schulman

http://www.constitution.org/2ll/schol/2amd_grammar.htm

Boolit Grand Master

I made mu own pliers type out of aluminum. It does up to 45-100. It only deprimes.

Boolit Master

You can glue a LEE de-capper into a large hardwood ball from the hardware.
    Set it over a hole and whack it with your hand.
    I'm a cheapskate, this may not fit your life style.
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

Boolit Grand Master
    The BPCS guys have a variety of hand decappers similar to the Distant Thunder you mention. If you already have a 310 tool and the proper "universal" decapping die, that will work quite well. In spite of your lack of regard for the Pope style (actually designed by Chicks Martines, if memory serves) they have decapped millions of cases in the last century or so... they do work pretty well. In addition, a variety of decappers and combo re- and decappers are constantly being designed, built and sold by readers of the Black Powder Cartridge News and Single Shot Journal. One of them is bound to fit your needs, but you will have to look for yourself to see what you like.

Froggie

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    You can glue a LEE de-capper into a large hardwood ball from the hardware.
    Set it over a hole and whack it with your hand.
    I'm a cheapskate, this may not fit your life style.
    I like that shooter.

But if I were to buy something, it'd be Lee's hand press.
    you could use it for other tasks at the range as well.
    http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...rodID=LEE90685
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Bub
    Hi Frog,
    I do not have any hand decapper yet, just bench mount. I liked the nostalgia of the 310 tool but did not have the immediate desire to order it. The "Pope style" I almost went for it and then started to think it may feel awkward. Have you used it? Is it worth the asking price and do you have to fumble with it or is it a natural type feel? Hopefully all that ramble is coherent.

George
    Best regards,
    George

"A well-schooled electorate, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and read Books, shall not be infringed".
    J. Neil Schulman

Boolit Bub
    Cowboy,
    I seen that too, looks interesting. I would suspect it is made out of steel and not delrin or some other type of plastic, right? I may have missed where it stated what it was made out of. I will look it over again.

George

Seeing it states
    anodized, I suspect aluminum.....
    Best regards,
    George

J. Neil Schulman

Boolit Bub
    Hi Shooter,
    That is not out of the question and I thought of something along those lines. I just see hitting it, the ball splitting and the pin going into my hand. (I do have luck like that).
    Best regards,
    George

J. Neil Schulman

Boolit Bub
    I like the Harvy de-primer.

See this:

http://www.harveydeprimer.com/

Boolit Grand Master

Might try ebay for decapping tool!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Perma-Banned

I second the Lee hand press. It serves multiple functions.
    OB

[FONT=times new roman][SIZE=3]Je suis Charlie

Safeguard our way of life...Defend the Constitution against ALL Enemies, Foreign and Domestic!!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ggb3 View Post
    Hi Shooter,
    That is not out of the question and I thought of something along those lines. I just see hitting it, the ball splitting and the pin going into my hand. (I do have luck like that).
    Actually, you can push them out.
    I have a home-made block to hold ammo. At one end, I drilled a slight recess for the rim of the brass, then drilled the center to 5/16". On the back side I enlarged to 3/4" to allow the spent primers to accumulate leaving enough support to do the de-capping.
    I can de-cap and drop the cases in a jug of soapy water between strings.
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

Boolit Master

Hi Shooter,
    Actually, you can push them out.
    I have a home-made block to hold ammo. At one end, I drilled a slight recess for the rim of the brass, then drilled the center to 5/16". On the back side I enlarged to 3/4" to allow the spent primers to accumulate leaving enough support to do the de-capping.
    I can de-cap and drop the cases in a jug of soapy water between strings.
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

Boolit Grand Master
    Hi Frog,
    I do not have any hand decapper yet, just bench mount. I liked the nostalgia of the 310 tool but did not have the immediate desire to order it. The "Pope style" I almost went for it and then started to think it may feel awkward. Have you used it? Is it worth the asking price and do you have to fumble with it or is it a natural type feel? Hopefully all that ramble is coherent.

George
    I have owned and used several of the Jake Simmons-made Pope style re- and decappers in my time with the American Single Shot Rifle Association. I shoot in the schuetzen style and often replace primers at the shooting bench. After thousands of rounds of 32-40 and 45-70 as well as other calibers I can say without fear of contradiction that they work well. The Harvey unit somebody else mentioned would work just as well in your application of just decapping before washing cases, so I wouldn't discourage you from looking at that style or something similar. It comes down to what you are comfortable using, best if you can try several before buying... is anyone shooting BPCS or schuetzen where you are located?

Froggie

Boolit Master

It ain't fancy, but I use a punch that has a straight small diameter shaft about 1.5 inches, rather than just tapered like most punches. That, and a small hammer gets it done very well. I don't actually do it very often, though.. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

And I thought I was the only one using a small punch. That hardened small straight punch end will last forever, even with crimped military primers. For convenience, epoxy a small screwdriver handle onto the handle part. I picked mine up at a flea market several years ago for $0.10. Works for me.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for everyone's replies, information is good. Back to Mr. Froggie, I know Mr. Simmons had passed a few years back. Who in your opinion is making a desirable one now? (Pope style).

Thanks again gentlemen,
    George
    Best regards,
    George

J. Neil Schulman

Boolit Master

Not sure if they are still making them but Mecham Tool & Hardware make a very nice unit that used RCBS shell holders. Very nicely made and worked very well.
    Facta non verba

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks for everyone's replies, information is good. Back to Mr. Froggie, I know Mr. Simmons had passed a few years back. Who in your opinion is making a desirable one now? (Pope style).

Thanks again gentlemen,
    George
    The one being sold by Meacham is similar, but as was stated, takes the common RCBS shell holder. You might try Buffalo Arms and see which one(s) they are selling now. "Uncle Jake" was a long-time personal friend of mine through ASSRA and I still can't quite believe he's gone. I still have two of his tools with a variety of the special shell holders... I don't plan on ever being without at least one! The folks at CPA, who make an adaptation of the Stevens 44 1/2, has another nice one of similar operation, but slightly different design. I didn't mention what a great job these tools do of consistently seating primers. They are fully as good at that task as your bench tool. PM me if you can't find something you like.

Froggie