Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Is it difficult to size a .410 boolit to .402?

Boolit Bub

Is it difficult to size a .410 boolit to .402?

Interested in a heavy .40 bullet and was curious if a .41 mag bullet could just be sized down easily enough?

Not in my experience. But if you have the arms and equipment that can take the stress and still leave you with some semblance of a lube groove, or grooves, I say try it and see. You'll know soon enough.

Boolit Master

It can be done if you have several intermediate sizing dies. But it will elongate and your grooves will be very shallow and nose distortion will occur unless you nose first size.

If you try it, be sure to lube first.

Not a recommended practice unless you just have to shoot a few.

Much better to spring for a mould closer to the desired diameter./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Vendor Sponsor

Sizing this much needs to be done in about 3 steps. IE; three sizing dies that will progressively reduce the size of the boolit .002-.003 at a time to your desired dimensions.

Trying to do it all at once generally results in deformed or bent boolits just because of the pressure required to move that much metal on one step..

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Will changing the alloy for your bullet make it heavy enough.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfelipe View Post
    Interested in a heavy .40 bullet and was curious if a .41 mag bullet could just be sized down easily enough?
    Bigfelipe you might want to put a post in the Wanted to Buy or the Swapping&Selling section for that mold. I just sold a 2 cav. .401/225gr. mold. Ask around if anyone might have a Lee 90343 that they're sure is .401 dia. (double-check the size) Audie...the Oldfart...

I guess my results are different from what everyone else has stated....I have a 210 gr, .410 RCBS mould I had hollowpointed. I am sizing them down to .402 in a single pass, without any issues. That bullet is actually the most accurate I have found for my 40 S&W. They are taking very little effort to size (WW)....but..... I have been sizing them same day as cast in most cases. I am seeing very little deformation of the lube grooves. I have read that if this is a problem lubing before sizing can help keep the grooves intact.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would think you would see distortion, and collapsing of lube grooves.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Bub
    One note, I plan on Hi-Tek coating the bullets so the lube groove isn't an issue and I would use a push through sizer.

rcbs makes a 200g SWC for 10mm
    μολών λαβέ

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-Cal-WFN/page2

Edit - something like the bullet on the right, to prevent what happened with the bullet on the left. (The one on the right is a 220gr .410 bullet with about a .015" step at the front driving band, which I size down to .401" for the 10mm. Delete the crimp groove and one driving band, and it would be very similar to the 200gr drawn above, but with a step at the front driving band.)

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...roducts_id=436
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."