Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .45 ACP Boolits and Powder

Boolit Grand Master

H&G 68 clone is choice #1. Lyman 452460 is close behind. Size to .452, lube with NRA 50-50.

Use a fast powder like Bullseye or Titegroup. Seat H&G 68 clone to 1.250-1.260 based on your
    chamber (use dismounted barrel as gage) and taper crimp as a separate operation to .465 to .470
    diam at front of case mouth.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TCFAN View Post
    I like Bullseye. I use the Lyman 200 gr. 452460 SWC with 5.0 grs and the Lyman 225gr. 452374 round nose with 4.5 grs. I don't see a problem with Bullseye being any more dirty than any other powders......Terry
    What i ment about was the entier gun stays cleaner inside & out . do a test ! shoot 100 + rounds from 2 identical guns & compair them inside & out ! the internals are alot cleaner with TG powder !

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bigscot View Post
    Been loading, casting and shooting for many other calibers for years. I finally got my first 1911, a Ruger SR 1911 back in Dec., and now I am ready to start casting for it. After 6 months I have finally been able to get a set of Dillon .45 acp dies. Anyway, I was wondering what moulds, powders and loads people are liking/using in the .45 acp?

Bigscot
    I started down this same road,back in dec as well.My first 45 1911,,,,,,,,after 1400 rounds of load work,,ive found the accurate#68 boolit,ahead of 4.0 grs of clays,is the most consistantly accurate load for my ruger. Shoots 100% flawless,and the clays powder is amazingly clean burning......

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Guys for all the replies. I now have some place to start. I already have Unique, Bullseye and 231.

Thanks Again,

Bigscot
    Hunt hard, shoot straight, kill clean, apologize to no one!
    -Ralph M. Lermayer-
    Editor of Predator Xtream

Boolit Master

i use Bullseye and Lyman mold #452374 works great in my XDs
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

Might as well throw in here. For powders, I use Red Dot, Clays, Tightgroup mostly. For boolits, usually the H&G 68 or a good clone. The Lyman 452460 is great, the RCBS 200gr SWC is a good one. The H&G 34 clone I have is great. Heck, they all shoot good, really.. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Another vote here for a good h&g 68 clone, mine is from Accurate Molds, and my 1911 has never shot better.

As for powder, i tried and tried to break new ground (and i do have a few good loads using ramshot competition)...but the fact is, for me, nothing shoots better across a wide range of velocities than Bullseye.

Those old fellers telling you about Bullseye & hg68 know their stuff. One would do well to listen. Im stubborn so it took me a while but the proof is in the shooting. My chosen load right now is 5.0 gr for just over 900 fps

My RCBS 200 mould is the easiest mould to cast with. Try to keep boolits under 210 grains (conserve lead)

Boolit Bub
    I'm trying to finish up a 4lb keg of Green Dot. After about 2000rds, I can say it's awesome in 45acp. Bullseye is great too. As for bullets, any cast I can get my hands on works fine!
    "One man with a gun, can control 100 without one." Vladimir Lenin