RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smoothbore vs Jaeger Rifle? HELP PLEASE

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by excess650 View Post
    Sand cast parts aren't nearly as $ as the wax cast versions, and really aren't difficult to make look nice. Track Of The Wolf has both, and should have full sized drawings of various rifles.

Buttplates on early rifles are often 2"+ in width, add some for a cheek piece, and/or cast off, but figure 2-1/2" minimum thickness for your plank, with 3" safer. I probably have some straight grained black walnut that would be suitable.

My barrel is a Colerain, and rifled. IIRC, their Hessian Jaeger barrel is one of the least expensive swamped barrels.
    Hey thanks for the advise. Sand cast parts would not be a big deal to me. Finishing brass is easy enough. I will check into the stock drawing at Track and see if they have a Jaeger or something to my liking. I have never made a stock from scratch before, but I think it would be a lot of fun. What would a piece of walnut cost? I am low on funds right now, would you have anything you would take in trade for it?

Thanks,
    Greebe

Boolit Man
    Btw. Have you guys ever heard of a smoothbore Jaeger? Did they ever make such a thing? Ahh I do not know what to do. I guess that is OK though since I will probably have a few years more to think about it until I have some money to actually start buying parts. Darn economy. Maybe I should sell another firearm to finance this one. The wife told me not to even think about it because anytime I sell a firearm I am sad about it forever. She is right, but me wantie a flintlock...

Boolit Master

I can honestly say that I woul be lost with out my northwest trade gun. When I got it a year ago it quickly became my go to gun for hunting here on the farm. As far as accuracy is concerned, I have taken it to two shooting matches. I was the only one at both matches with a smooth bore, so I shot against the rifles. The first match I was in with it I took fourth place. The other I took first place. Let me tell you there was a lot of upset rifle owners. I don't feel a bit handy append with a smoothie

Best wishes

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma