Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .45 ACP Boolits and Powder

Boolit Buddy

.45 ACP Boolits and Powder

Been loading, casting and shooting for many other calibers for years. I finally got my first 1911, a Ruger SR 1911 back in Dec., and now I am ready to start casting for it. After 6 months I have finally been able to get a set of Dillon .45 acp dies. Anyway, I was wondering what moulds, powders and loads people are liking/using in the .45 acp?

Bigscot
    Hunt hard, shoot straight, kill clean, apologize to no one!
    -Ralph M. Lermayer-
    Editor of Predator Xtream

Boolit Master
    I have used the RCBS 200 gr semiwadcutter (two groove) with good results for years. I also bought the RCBS 230 hardball mould but have not used it yet.If you are lucky enough to have the powder,HS6,and 231 are good choices.I have used a lot of Unique over the years just because I have a good bit on hand.I have been trying to get an SR1911 Commander but no luck yet.They are always sold as soon as they hit the store.

Vendor Sponsor

230gr RNFP .451" over 5.0gr W231 here, good middle of the road load, accurate, pleasant. I have a Kahr that is very tight chambered, won't even close on a .452" oh well.. Good shooter, good lightweight 26.5oz edc.

I just started casting a couple of months ago. Been pushing 200gr swc Lee tumble lubes over 4.0gr of 700x as a starter and have loved every minute of it from procuring the lead to smelting,casting,and loading. The only thing I cant stand is the lack of time in the day.

Love Life
    H&G 34 or H&G 34 clone.

Powder: Bullseye, unique, 231, and many more. I have a large assortment of pistol powder from when I first started loading so I go through 1 pound of a powder, and when it is out swap to another. I reckon around the year 2050 I'll get through all of the powder and be able to use my kegs of unique.

Boolit Grand Master

W231/HP-38, any load listed in the manuals work. I have found no reason to use any other powder in any of my non magnum handguns.

Single groove 200gr SWC Clays powder 4.0 grs just under max. Springfield 1911 and Colt love this load . Couple people at the club have changed from 231 and bullseye to clays clean burning not much smoke at all . I,ve use over 10lbs of this powder in .45 -38-45lc just bought 2 8lb jugs at Camp Perry a couple days before opening shot.

Boolit Master
    700X is my do-all powder for the 45 for 200-230g . I use some Universal and W231 also, but burn a lot more 700X.

I pour a 220g HP and a NOE 452-230g HP myself.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Master

200gr swc HG 68 or a copy of it ,I personaly have the Saeco 068 , this bullet has been shot in at least 20 different 45 acp pistols with excellent results.
    As for powder i used to use Bullseye for about 20+ years but since Tightgroup came out ive switched to it with excellent results and it keeps the gun cleaner than Bullseye ! another excellent powder is WSL now disconued, i still have about 1 1/2 lbs left and a few thousand rounds loaded with it.

Boolit Bub
    Lyman 452460, 200gr LSWC over 4.0 gr Bullseye shoots great in my Springfield and my Kimber.
    Montani Semper Liberi

200 grain swc over 4.0 Red Dot. Accurate!
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    Lyman 452374 (RN 230 gr) or 452630 (SWC 200 gr) are very accurate over Promo 4.5. I get @770 fps with the 230 gr. and @ 800 fps with the 200 gr. 100% reliable in Glock and 1911.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Bullseye was the go to powder for years for the 45 acp. MiHec is just finishing up a run of 452-200 moulds. I have a couple of the earlier runs, one 2-cavity and just got a 4-cavity. You might check with him if you are intrested in one of those moulds.
    The GB for the last run is here. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...RCBS-Cramer-HP
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master
    I like Bullseye. I use the Lyman 200 gr. 452460 SWC with 5.0 grs and the Lyman 225gr. 452374 round nose with 4.5 grs. I don't see a problem with Bullseye being any more dirty than any other powders......Terry

Lee 230gr TC with 6.0gr WSF.
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

The 45 ACP round was developed with Bullseye powder and billions of rounds have been loaded with that same power by factories over the past 100 years. Does that tell you anything?

The world is full of good of 200 to 230 grain cast bullet designs that work to perfection in the 45 ACP round in the 1911 pistol. Hensley and Gibbs #68 (everybody make a clone) or Lyman 452460 are among the best.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigscot View Post
    Been loading, casting and shooting for many other calibers for years. I finally got my first 1911, a Ruger SR 1911 back in Dec., and now I am ready to start casting for it. After 6 months I have finally been able to get a set of Dillon .45 acp dies. Anyway, I was wondering what moulds, powders and loads people are liking/using in the .45 acp?

Bigscot
    Very similar situation. Got my first 1911 last year and picked up another this Spring; both SR1911. I have shot nothing but my own boolits in them. The Rugers seem to have nice generous chambers, but the leade is abrupt. Use your barrel as a case gauge for the plunk test. The boolit my two SR1911's feed and cycle best are the Lyman 452374 hardball clone and Lyman 452460 semi wad cutter (the 452460 shoots best of what I have tried) . I have little success with tumble lube in these pistols, but NRA 50:50 does the trick. The Lee TL round nosed 45ACP boolit gave me some jambs, but the Lee bevel based traditional 230 TC bullet does pretty well with NRA lube.

prs
    Last edited by prs; 07-15-2013 at 10:33 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Any of the fast pistol powders will do the job. But IMO bullseye is best.

Dave C.
    Distinguished, Master,2600 club, President 100 badge holder.

Boolit Master
    Bigscot,

For the sake of economy, but mainly because I'm old and set in my ways, I use the same powders in 45 ACP, 45 LC and 38 Special; Unique or Bullseye. Dad used those same powders before me. Yes, Bullseye and Unique a dirty, but cleaning my guns gives me a chance to inspect for wear, cracks or potential metal fatigue.

Be sure you don't throw a double charge of Bullseye.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

I would second Char-Gar's advice. Over my 30+ years of competitive shooting with a .45, I started with Bullseye and I'm ending with Bullseye. I tried some of the other options during that time, but I always came back to Bullseye. Why? One primary reason, loads with Bullseye consistently shot the smallest groups. If they were to quit making Bullseye, I would use WST.
    Phil