Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8mm JS

Boolit Buddy

8mm JS

I a box of 8mm JS. The bullets are .323 and the cases are stamped 7.92x57. Is this ammo safe to shoot in a 24/47 8mm Mauser.

Boolit Bub
    Did a little research and the answer is..............Yes!

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you, It looks the same i just wanted to make sure it wasn't loaded different.

Boolit Buddy
    JS was the last update to the wartime 8x57mm Mauser. Older 1880 not updated guns should not use them. First year for them was 1898 as in 98Mauser.Yours was update in 1947!
    Knowledge shall forever govern ignorance!

I see what I am hunting just coming off the "GRILL"!

It is not a measure of moral health to be well adjusted in a sick society!
    Jules

Banned

yep, good to go.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmiceyes View Post
    JS was the last update to the wartime 8x57mm Mauser. Older 1880 not updated guns should not use them. First year for them was 1898 as in 98Mauser.Yours was update in 1947!
    Almost right, the early '98 Mausers still had the .318 bore dimension, the "S" bore (.323) taking place in 1905......

Dan

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 220swiftfn View Post
    Almost right, the early '98 Mausers still had the .318 bore dimension, the "S" bore (.323) taking place in 1905......

Dan
    Only 300,000 98's were made first issue was 1901.Two groups of 290,000 an 210,000 in 1904. In 1905 the change to the S-Patrone boolit required modification of the sights,with the modified"Lange Vizier"much taller than it's predecessor.All rifles converted at this time were marked with a small(2.5mm)"s"above the chamber,and on the barrel at the back of the rear sight base,Nick name of the Lange Vizier was roller coaster.

Jules

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    The "J" in JS is not a J........it's an italicized "I" and stands for Infantarie Spitzgeshosse, or Infantry Pointed bullet. If it says "JSS" it stands for Infantarie Swchewers Spitzgeshosse, or Infantry Heavy Pointed bullet. Yes, I know I badly misspelled the German but we've been calling these cartridges "J" for years and we're wrong.

In any case, the Yugo Mauser will fire just about any normal 8 x 57mm cartridge.

Boolit Master
    If in doubt, slug the bore.
    ukrifleman.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you everyone i learned a lot of stuff i did not know.

If in doubt, sent it to me for research and processing.

Boolit Master
    Only 300,000 98's were made first issue was 1901.Two groups of 290,000 an 210,000 in 1904. In 1905 the change to the S-Patrone boolit required modification of the sights,with the modified"Lange Vizier"much taller than it's predecessor.All rifles converted at this time were marked with a small(2.5mm)"s"above the chamber,and on the barrel at the back of the rear sight base,Nick name of the Lange Vizier was roller coaster.
    Yeah, and not all of those Mauser 98's were converted to .323, which was my point, that just because it's a '98 action, doesn't mean it's safe with "S" ball (case in point, there are many early 98 customs that are in fact .318)......

Dan

Boolit Buddy
    Didn't know agreeing with you would set you off.I typed as it was written in my Mauser rifle book to show you were correct.Nothing other wise was stated.

Quote Originally Posted by 220swiftfn View Post
    Yeah, and not all of those Mauser 98's were converted to .323, which was my point, that just because it's a '98 action, doesn't mean it's safe with "S" ball (case in point, there are many early 98 customs that are in fact .318)......

Dan

Jules

Boolit Buddy
    Cool I didn't know that.I have my nose in my new 5th edition Mauser book. Haven't made it all the way through.It's funny that Ammo manufactures even use the"J"! 's

Quote Originally Posted by 3006guns View Post
    The "J" in JS is not a J........it's an italicized "I" and stands for Infantarie Spitzgeshosse, or Infantry Pointed bullet. If it says "JSS" it stands for Infantarie Swchewers Spitzgeshosse, or Infantry Heavy Pointed bullet. Yes, I know I badly misspelled the German but we've been calling these cartridges "J" for years and we're wrong.

In any case, the Yugo Mauser will fire just about any normal 8 x 57mm cartridge.

Jules

You guys are correct that IS ammo should not be fired in any .318 bore rifles. But the issue of converting to the IS bore in 1905 has no bearing on the OP's question. The original model 24's were made in 1924, long after the transition to the IS bore. These were reworked in 1947 to conform to the new M48 pattern Yugo rifles. Some were "shot out" and were rebarreled, but of course the IS bore remained the same. It would be exceedingly rare to find a 24/47 with a .318 bore. That ammo should be perfectly safe in that rifle (if it has correct headspace, etc).

I thought that I would throw this in for everyones edification.

In general the groove diameter for the J bore is .320866 (8.15mm) not .318 (that was the J bullet diameter not the groove), you'll note that the only area on the 154 gr JS (10 gram Patrone S) that is over that diameter is the area behind the crimp groove of .324 x .13 in length. They did that so it could safely shoot in a J bore. Also note that even the 198 gr (12.8 gram Patrone sS) BT JS only has .193 of .324 (8.3mm) bearing area but, the pressure is 3600 bar max. vs 3000 bar max. of the 154 gr S. 3600 bar is probably to much for the GEW88 but not the J bore GEW98's. Although the bullets themselfs could be reloaded in a GEW88 at lower pressures.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	154 gr S.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	75621Click image for larger version. 

Name:	198 sS.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	75622
    Last edited by frnkeore; 07-08-2013 at 04:53 PM.

Boolit Master
    Didn't know agreeing with you would set you off.I typed as it was written in my Mauser rifle book to show you were correct.Nothing other wise was stated.
    Ah, the hazards of "lack of tone" in the typed word, didn't mean to sound as "harsh" as was taken, my apologies.....

Dan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzLeeBear View Post
    You guys are correct that IS ammo should not be fired in any .318 bore rifles. But the issue of converting to the IS bore in 1905 has no bearing on the OP's question. The original model 24's were made in 1924, long after the transition to the IS bore. These were reworked in 1947 to conform to the new M48 pattern Yugo rifles. Some were "shot out" and were rebarreled, but of course the IS bore remained the same. It would be exceedingly rare to find a 24/47 with a .318 bore. That ammo should be perfectly safe in that rifle (if it has correct headspace, etc).
    Yep, we kinda went off on a tangent to the OP......

Dan

Boolit Buddy
    My 2 cents: the difference in bore diameter doesn't matter in stated arm. I'll stand to be corrected.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by frnkeore View Post
    I thought that I would throw this in for everyones edification.

In general the groove diameter for the J bore is .320866 (8.15mm) not .318 (that was the J bullet diameter not the groove), you'll note that the only area on the 154 gr JS (10 gram Patrone S) that is over that diameter is the area behind the crimp groove of .324 x .13 in length. They did that so it could safely shoot in a J bore. Also note that even the 198 gr (12.8 gram Patrone sS) BT JS only has .193 of .324 (8.3mm) bearing area but, the pressure is 3600 bar max. vs 3000 bar max. of the 154 gr S. 3600 bar is probably to much for the GEW88 but not the J bore GEW98's. Although the bullets themselfs could be reloaded in a GEW88 at lower pressures.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	154 gr S.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	75621Click image for larger version. 

Name:	198 sS.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	75622
    I read the American production ammo is low pressure loaded,and the actual boolit dia is listed as .321. So much stuff I didn't know. 's

Jules