Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: 300 blkout and cast

300 blkout and cast

Groo here
    Looking to get a Handi rifle in 300 blackout and wondering about cast and heavy or longrange loads.
    Also , has anyone tried making 300 out of 357mag brass and having the barrel cut for the rim.
    I hear that a barrel so cut will shoot both.

American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God
    Many shoot cast in 300 BO. I just got the Lee Blackout mold and will be casting some soon for subsonics. Im not sure if its possible, but Why would you want to make brass from 357 when 5.56 is cheaper and more readily available?

Boolit Master

To have a rimmed case for the break-action handi single shot.

Boolit Master
    I have looked at the concept for the Handi-rifle in 300 blackout to shoot sub-sonic, but my self I can not see an advantage over a small t gun chamber in a straight wall rimmed case. With the SB2 action and a Handi-rifle in 44 Mag or 45 Colt you could thri a hudge chunk of lead sub-sonic and be very quite.

I've done both heavy and long-ish range with cast but not with a handi rifle. The drop past 200yds is substantial at best. I usually shoot 245's around 1245fps in a 10" barrel. For out to 400yds I like them light and fast. For middle ground I shoot 160's and 170's in the 1700-1800fps range in 10" barrel.

Now for the rimmed 300 idea. Get a .357 handi and you can do super light to heavy and everything in between. I'll be sending a handi rifle to JES rebore for a .357 max bore/chamber job. Itll shoot powder puff 38's up to full pressure rifle loads, some exceeding those of 300blk. My main interest in 300blk was AR compatability.
    Not to mention, loading straight walled pistol cartridges take much less time and work.

On the 300blk forum, a gentleman has been working on a similar idea but in a lever action. Pretty neat. But as you may know, max .357 case length is shorter than minimum 300blk case length.

A friend and I have put rim cuts on a couple of 300 BO single shots. These are stubbed barrel Handi rifles. The only issue I see with using 357 brass to make rimmed 300 BO is the case is about .01" short of the SAAMI spec. You also have to modify the extractor or ejector for the rimmed case.

BB

Boolit Man
    flexibility and 300 are tailored for an AR. I load 300 so that I can shoot cast in an AR. since you're looking for performance and flexibility and a rim, wouldn't a 30-30 make more sense?

Boolit Buddy
    Gunblast.com had a review of the 300 Blackout Handi-rifle awhile back and one of loads was a cast bullet using Trail Boss.

Quote Originally Posted by garym1a2 View Post
    I have looked at the concept for the Handi-rifle in 300 blackout to shoot sub-sonic, but my self I can not see an advantage over a small t gun chamber in a straight wall rimmed case. With the SB2 action and a Handi-rifle in 44 Mag or 45 Colt you could thri a hudge chunk of lead sub-sonic and be very quite.
    The larger the projectile the more noise it makes when going down range subsonically
    - my 45 ACP while subsonic sounds like big *** bumble bee's compared to 30 cal which sound like fly's.
    NOTE: Language is not kid / wife safe on all video's

other example links
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfbhZuFlzXQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_hPxyS0Hvs

Boolit Master
    If I remember correctly there is a guy that does the chamber/rim work you are talking about. But I think he uses 357 Max brass instead of magnum brass for his conversions. I've got a 300 BLK in an AR upper. Haven't played with it a whole lot yet, but I would suggest taking a look at the 357 MAX. I'm planning on getting a barrel for my Encore with a 12 twist. That way I can throw 300 grain cast down range. Those have more authority than the BLK subs, and you can also load lighter weights for supers. There are some threads on NFA talk and the silencer forum dealing with the MAX, cast, and subsonics. If you look for them look for member JohninNH and his posts on it. He's done a lot of tinkering with the MAX and big heavy subs.

Boolit Mold
    You may want to try 5.56-50r brass if you can find some.