Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Repackbox

Thread: Making your own Lyman treated corn cob

Making your own Lyman treated corn cob

Lyman offers a corn cob treated with rouge (the red stuff). It polishes the brass really nicely and it lasts a lot longer than untreated corn cob, it just so expensive around here. My dad has a block of rouge - I believe it is wax based it will flake off when I put a knife to it. I was thinking that maybe I could dissolve it in something and then add it to the untreated media?!

Any suggestions as to what I can dissolve it in?

Thanks guys....
    The artist formerly known as Wiking

In Remembrance

My suggestion would be to add Nu-Finish auto car polish to the untreated corn cob. Add while the tumbler is running, I add 6 caps full then a capfull every now and again after that. Let it mix and spread throughout the cob without any brass in the tumbler. You`ll be amazed at the shine you`ll get.Robert

Boolit Master
    You can by the red rouge powder. I got some (ebay as I recall) and added it to my walnut grit. It works well and does not take but about a teaspoon for a full load in the lyman 1200. I am sure it would work well with corncob.
    ph4570

Boolit Bub
    I have a 5 gallon bucket of corncob media, I add about a tablespoon of this after every 2500-3000 cases. I added it after so that can dry out, add it then stir it in. I've probably tumbled 30,000 cases in my 15lb. of media and still have half a bottle and they come out looking new.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...ish/731857.uts

Vendor Sponsor

I have a block of 60s vintage Craftsman red rouge, and you gotta chop it with a knife, put it in a plastic bag and beat the daylights out of it with a hammer, IF you want to use the cake type rouge. It will work, and eventually it will turn to nothing but it takes a while. If you can buy it in powder, MUCH better.

Heads up on walnut media, go to Pet Smart and get a 25lb bag of Pet Bird Bedding for $22.xx it is pure ground walnut hulls, non treated, just right for a tumbler. I mix mine with corncob media and rouge.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    My suggestion would be to add Nu-Finish auto car polish to the untreated corn cob. Add while the tumbler is running, I add 6 caps full then a capfull every now and again after that. Let it mix and spread throughout the cob without any brass in the tumbler. You`ll be amazed at the shine you`ll get.Robert
    I have read about this Nu-finish on this forum before. But I do not have access to it here in Denmark. Can you tell me more about it? Is it a wax or is it more of a liquid? If I knew more about it I would be able to find an equivalent here in Denmark
    The artist formerly known as Wiking

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    I have read about this Nu-finish on this forum before. But I do not have access to it here in Denmark. Can you tell me more about it? Is it a wax or is it more of a liquid? If I knew more about it I would be able to find an equivalent here in Denmark
    From the MSDS at
    http://www.nufinish.com.au/msds.html
    http://www.primeautomotive.com/msds/...sds.pdf‎

CHEMICAL NAME CAS NO. PERCENT
    Petroleum Distillates 8052-41-3 6-12% TLV (Units): 100 PPM;
    (Stoddard Solvent) TLV (Units): PEL 500 PPM

Ceramic Microspheres 66402-68-4 3-10% TLV (Units): 100 PPM;
    TLV (Units): PEL 100 PPM

Oleic Diethanol Amide 68155-20-4 1-5%TLV (Units): 200 PPM

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    It's a liquid. I just use a liquid car polish in my tumbler, whatever brand I have at the time, the same as I use on my car. They all work just fine.

Boolit Buddy
    I think most of you guys are missing the point.

Why worry about the brand of carpolish? All you really need is the mild abrasive that is in it that works as a cleaner. If you're going to use liquid car wax with a cleaner/abrasive in it get the cheapest you can buy. You don't care about the quality of the wax. How your cases "weather" is not an issue. You are not going to park them in the driveway for the winter.
    Just go to the "car stuff" department at Walmart and by a can of Turtlewax "Polishing Compound." They make "rubbing compound" and "polishing compound." Polishing compound is the finest in abrasive grit. Take your new media in the tumbler, add a tablespoon full of mineral spirits, and about a quarter teasponf of polishing compound. Run the tumbler for an hour or so before you add any brass.

If it doesn't clean fast enough for you: add another 1/4 teaspoonful of polishing compound. Re-charge as needed, and replace as everything gets too dirty.

My polishing compound is at least 25 years old, and when I wanted to use it after I got my tumbler it was all dried out. I put some mineral spirits in the can and used the domed head of a carriage bolt as a morter to break some up a bit and mix it a bit.

For those of you of a technicle bent: i do believe it was a 1/2 inch carriage bolt about 4 inches under the head... "Turtle Wax" is just a locally available "brand." Yours may very.