Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm ready to call it quits

Boolit Master
    Yep...
    I have had issues with Cast bullets catching on the inside of the die and being pushed further into the case when trying to crimp... Those dies are made with very little clearance... When your bullet is ~0.005" larger than Jacketed - it can hit the die instead of moving up into the bullet holding portion of the die...

You won't see this during the Seating portion when you back the die way off and use it to seat.... but when you try to crimp - it stuffs the bullet deep into the case....

Another thing I have run into is bullet lube squishing up into the seater die and causing all sorts of problems... It's worth it to watch your reloads and when you see lube on the exposed portions of the bullets - pull the die apart and clean it out good....

Thanks

Moderator Emeritus

Lee's Rifle style factory crimp die can crimp the case mouth on any part of the boolit, crimp groove or not. While it's not ideal, it is a crimp and will hold more than no crimp.

If you are skeptical of this, that is exactly how 'hawk bullets' recommends it with their annealed 'dead soft' copper jacketed bullets.
    read down to 6th paragraph.
    http://www.hawkbullets.com/selectabul.htm
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

In Remembrance

I load with Lee dies for MarlinGG and boolits sized .460 using the FCD. Boolits are RD 460-350, RD 460-420, and Lee 459-350PB (opened to cast 460) with good results. I really like the Lee FCD.

Perma-Banned

Try the taper crimp dies. I do like everyone else said. I seat all my shells and then taper crimp.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Buy a separate seating die and use it as your crimp die only. That way you don't have to keep readjusting the die all the time. I do this for just about every cal. I load for.
    Likewise.

One other thing. On some of the boolits that have large, flat meplats and/or diameters that make for a REAL tight fit inside a seating and crimping die, I will smear a little mink oil (or Imperial Sizing Lube) on every third to fifth boolit as I'm seating/crimping them. Helps prevent any "sticking" to the die.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks again men. I am excited to get past this. If the dies get here Thursday, I may be shooting this weekend. I know this bullet is gonna be bad deer medicine.

Boolit Bub
    Just to follow up for those that helped. I received my cowboy dies and all is good. Set one seater die to seat the bullet and another seater die to crimp. Crimping does not change the bullet depth and the rounds cycle through my guide guns and full size 1895 fine.
    These RCBS dies overall seem a little nicer than the Hornady. The Hornady decapper has a wicked bur inside it and the threads on the H seater die top piece bind up when adjusting.